PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most disapointing Patriot draftee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Who was the player or players that you were most excited about when they were drafted that failed to live up to your expectations.

The first one I can remember was NT Mike Ruth. He was drafted out of Boston College in the mid eightees. Ruth was supposed to be so strong and I could not wait to see him play. My memories of him playing consisted of him going againts Dwight Stephenson the all world center for the Dolphins. I remember watching him and wondering why he spent the whole play dancing with Stephenson. He didn't push him back it looked like he was waltzing. Turns out Ruth was strong but had short arms and couldn't seem to dis-engaged with the OL. I still remember him trying to cover kickoffs he would run down field full tilt like a 280 pound missile and usually miss the guy with the ball.

in this decade...?

man its hard bethel johnson, chad jackson or maroney

Irving "fair catch" Fryar.......
Hart(less) Dykes is right there too.

If you add Bethel and Chad into the mix a pattern begins to develop around Patriot WRs. Hmmmmm

Maybe it's the Curse of the Stanley Steamer.....

in this decade...?

man its hard bethel johnson, chad jackson or maroney

Agree with the first two, not sure about the latter.. lets see what he can do this year if he is healthy..

Has to be Chad Jackson. Not Maroney for me as he's been good when healthy. To a lesser extent Watson but he's FAR and away better than Jackson, obviously.

Chad Jackson
Chris Canty
Andy Katz

I would have add M. Hill on the list. He did nothing as a 2nd round pick.

Kenneth Sims - 1982-1989.

Chad Jackson
Chris Canty
Andy Katz

Second Canty. And Pete Carroll's expertise was supposed to be DBs.

I'll throw in Chris Singleton and JR Redmond also.

Eugene Chung never got me excited in the first place, so he didn't disappoint.

Ahhh yes, Kenneth "game day" Sims........#1 overall choice in the 1982 draft, hated practicing said he was saving it for game day only. I do not think he would have even passed BB's conditioning run.

I forgot Ken Sims....

I remember the Pats losing to the Colts, I think, to lock up the #1 overall pick to select Sims. The announcers called it the Ken Sims bowl because the loser would have the 1st overall pick.

Ken Sims was the first name that came to my mind. I would rank Hart Lee Dykes second. Didn't Dykes catch a beating in a bar, got hurt and was never the same after that?

Based on production/value versus expectations.

RB-Maroney
TE-Dan Graham
OT-Adrien Klemm
S-Gus Scott/Dexter Reid
DT-Dan Klecko
QB-Rohan Davey
OT-Kenyatta Jones
RB-JR Redmond
LB-Andy Katzenmoyer
RB-Robert Edwards
CB-Chris Canty
WR-Hart Lee Dykes
RB-Reggie Dupard
DT-Mike Ruth
C-Trevor Matich
QB-Tony Eason
DE-Kenneth Sims

Last edited:
Ken Sims overall, but in the Belichick years it's got to be Chad Jackson, no question, because we gave up so much to get him, because he had so much athletic talent, and because he did absolutely nothing for him. Bethel at least produced some as a returner and made a few catches for us. Maroney hasn't lived up to #21 yet, but there's still time and even if he doesn't give us any more he's not in the Chad Jackson class. Marquis Hill didn't produce, but we didn't trade up for him, there wasn't much worth taking ahead of him at #64 at the time, and his career was cut tragically short.

Ken Sims was the first name that came to my mind. I would rank Hart Lee Dykes second. Didn't Dykes catch a beating in a bar, got hurt and was never the same after that?

Yeah. He was out at a club with Fryar, I believe, and ended up in a fight which left him something like 80% blind in one eye.

Before Terry Glenn came around, he was probably the best athlete the Patriots ever had. Fantastic specimen that was highly recruited for Football, Basketball, and Baseball in Oklahoma. He may have even been the Oklahoma Player of the Year in all three sports his senior year.

I was thinking about guys that you really had high hopes for only to be disapointed. Ken Sims is my second choice. Modern era player would have to be Chad Jackson we got nothing from him.

My guy would have to be Reggie Dupard. How many 1st rd RBs tank the way he did??

I'm going back to the distant past for my choice. Back in 1964
Billy Sullivan wanted a local product, Jack Concannon, to get some
good publicity for his local team. Concannon was a converted
halfback who played quarterback for Boston College. He was
noted for his rushing skills as much as his passing.

Billy set about to get the first pick in the AFL draft by trading both
veteran starters and draft picks. Unfortunately, he should have
talked to Concannon first. Concannon signed on with the Eagles
for twice the money.

This was my first major disappointment. Jack had a so so NFL career.
Noteworthy was a 4.7 yards per carry career rushing average.

Katzenmoyer for me... Man I thought he was gonna be a player at the time. Chris Canty gotta be right up there too.

Maroney is making his push up the list right now.

Based on higher draft picks against performance, I present the all-disappointing draft team:

Offense
QB-Eason/Plunkett
RB-Reggie Dupard/Maroney
TE-Rod Rutledge
OL-Trevor Matich
OL-Adrien Klemm
OL-Kenyatta Jones
OL-Eugene Chung
OL-Calvin Stephens
WR-Hart Lee Dykes
WR-Chad Jackson
WR-Bethel Johnson