Welcome to PatsFans.com

Most critical off-season of the BB Era

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AndyJohnson, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +457 / 17 / -14

This off-season, IMO, will be the most crticial of the BB era.

First, we will have a ton of resources. When we trade Cassel we will either get more high picks for now (possibly player(s) too) or choose to take 2010 picks. That decision can have a huge impact on the future of the franchise. It will be less value now or more value later. Will there be a rookie scale by then? Which draft looks strogner, particularly where we need it?

If you look at Miguels page, we essentially have half a team signed for 2010. 26 players, 11 starters, using half the cap room projected. BB is going to 'rebuild' half of his team by 9/10. There is every reason to belief that a good bunch of that will be retaining current players, but half the team will be built in a year and a half through a combination of retention, the draft and free agency. Theoretically, we could fill up to 80% of those spots in the draft, having a tremendous amount of cap space toward the remianing 20% probably retention of our own guys.
    One choice would be for BB to just continue the process of drafting, keeping players he wants, filling in with free agents, but more than at least I have ever noticed, his decisions, most this off-season, but into the next could revamp his franchise.
    Another, which seems less likely is to be a big free agency player. I don't see that happening because I think BB feels free agency is inherently a poor value, but thats an option.
    We have 24 players who are signed through this year only. Of those I'd guess 8-10 will not be here next year. We also have a number of our own guys who could be resigned, and a bundle of picks.
    This off-season could just be a retooling where we go into next year with only 30-35 players under contract, and a ton of cap room, but I think that BB will use 2009 to prepare for 2010-2014.
    Admittedly I do not understand the CBA issue, so someone may be able to help me here.
    It seems that teams that guess right about it will have an edge for 3-4 years and those that guess wrong may have big cap problems. Is this why we have so many contracts expiring this year? Would it make sense for BB to wait for that CBA resolution to deal with them? Is that why half the team (including half the starters) are not signed beyond 2009?
    Does BB need to look at cash expense in addition to cap expense to be able to win in personell moves if it becomes uncapped? Is the lack of future commitment a preparation for that?
    Regardless the answers, and whether its from within or without, BB has the opportunity to redefine half his team, half his starter, half his cap expense in one year. It should be interesting.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Well thought out post, this is a two fold opportunity first for the Pats to redefine themselves and to prepare for the future. I have a suspicion that this will be a much different team next year, the weaknesses were obvious and that will change.. I also suspect a lot of what is familiar will look different. As well as we did, there was glaring deficiencies that were exploited.

I would not be surprised to see some completely different looks next year.. particularly on D.. as far as I am concerned can pretty much blow up all of the CB's except Wilhite and Wheatley.. they get a pass right now as we do not know how good they really are.

I also suspect that some of our regulars will not be renewed unless they accept the Vet minimum, BB has always had the philosophy that we cannot fall in love with our veterans.. those moves will create multitudinous threads on this board.. most will be hysterical.

I do think that BB has his eyes on 2012- 2014 as you suggested... and he will use this "capital" to build for those seasons.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I'm cheerfully anticipating my "Christmas" in New England. :woot:
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Just as the last 2002 off-season after we didn't make the playoffs, I expect some MASSIVE personnel changes. There will be some surprise moves and maybe one of our big name players (not named Cassel) being cut or traded elsewhere.
  5. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 17 / -2

2002-2003 and 2006-2007 offseason seemed much more critical. Obviously these offseason produced on of the best teams ever (2003 and 2004 seasons) and the best regular season effort ever (including one of the best offenses ever)/
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Our most glaring problems this past year are we had a league bottom-3 red zone defense and pass defense.. which is really amazing since it was a Belichick coached team.
  7. kurtinelson

kurtinelson Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -2

#37 Jersey

I believe the uncertianty of the CBA in 2010 is why so many Patriots contracts expire at the end of the 2009 season. IMO it will be difficult for the Patriots to do any significant deals with their veterans until the 2010 issue is resolved, but this is a critical draft year IMO with the potential for possibly 2 1s and 2 2s if we trade Cassell. We need to land a few young studs.
  8. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 8 / -1

I think every season we have Tom Brady as our qb is critical. We should try to win it every year that he is here. Don't want to get stupid like the Redskins/Cowboys. But, I'm willing to trade picks for vets. And, try to win this year.

Matt Cassel had a helluva season. We went 11-5. Didn't make the playoffs. There are no sure things in the NFL. But, #12 is about as close as you are going to ever get.

We had a lousy defensive team in 02. BB went out and tried to build it up. We had a lousy receiving corp in 06. BB went out and rebuilt it into the greatest offense in NFL history.
    Pretty good guess that he's going to try to rebuild the defense again this off-season.
  9. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why is everyone thinking Cassel is going to be traded?
  10. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +204 / 19 / -10

AJ,

I usually agree with you 100% . But THE most critical year is not this offseason, but the the 2008 offseason.

BB faced dismantling the Defense grown old and slow, and rebuilding the back two thirds of it. His 2008 draft was Absolutely critical to the Team's future, and he came through it with flying colors. Just think; he found Mayo, Guyton, Crabel, Woods, Redd, Wheatly, Wilhite, maybe Richardson, and confirmed that Meriwether is a rising star.

That is NINE players who seem to have a future in this league. That rookie or almost expansion team Defense, climbed to Tenth ranked in the League, while playing all these guys new to the Team. Suppose the 2008 off-season had been merely average or below?

The Team's future is now assured, as a perrenial contender for the SuperBowl for the next decade. The foundation for a great Defense has beem layed.

And that doesn't include the clear additions made to the 2007 First ranked Offense. He added a lot of depth and a feared running game to boot. And lets not forget a second franchise QB, as well.

The 2009 off-season is merely around to add frosting to the Cake, that Belichick baked in the 2008 off-season. :D:D:cool:
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Why would we keep him?? If Brady is healthy, it will be expensive to keep him.

The premise of this thread is that he will be traded and we will get some picks.. most are thinking a #1 and a future #2 at least.
  12. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +457 / 17 / -14

I guess we could argue MOST critical, but I'm considering that at least 50% of our team, and more like 60+ will change by the opening day of 2010. I dont think we fix all that in the 2010 off-season, but that what we do this season has an impact on the core of the team for many years to come.
    I think that any moves made in last off-season, could be made in this or any. Really we made some draft choices. This year we face losing half the team in the next 12 months.
  13. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +457 / 17 / -14

Umm, because he is.
    We cant gie up 14mill of cap space and the picks we would get in a trade to have him hold a clipboard.
  14. Hok

Hok Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe because keeping him would be INSANE?
  15. mgteich

Ratings:
    +269 / 17 / -2

Why do you think Brady is healthy?

16. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

The Patriots are not alone in having a lot of contracts expire after
    2009. I suspect that a lot of players are hoping that the contracts
    are going to sky rocket upward during an uncapped year like they
    have in baseball.

There will be a lot of uncertainty until there is a new CBA. This
    may take quite a while because there is utter confusion choosing
    a new person to head up the NFLPA. Until Upshaw's sucessor is
    chosen, there will be no new CBA.
  17. mgteich

Ratings:
    +269 / 17 / -2

Green and Vrabel might be willing to extend, and save the patriots some cap money.
  18. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +457 / 17 / -14

Green is a big question on the cap. Miguel has 2.3 mill as a roster bonus but the commentary regarding it leads me to believe its guaranteed. If not and we would get THAT off the cap as well, then he is definitely a potential cap casualty if he does not restructure. Thats way to much money (the part we could save) for a backup on an expiring contract.
  19. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Okay people, let's not sidetrack AJ's thoughts with arguments over what color curtains Brady hangs in his retirement beach house or Cassel hangs in his mansion. Be happy, drink heavily! :singing:
  20. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +457 / 17 / -14

Because it is not within reason to me that Tom Brady will not have himself ready to play football a year after his injury.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.