Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Lions

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm not understanding how the Steelers are more balanced than the Ravens.

Offensive Rankings:
Pit: #20 pts, #11 yds, -0.5 oSRS
Bal: #13 pts, #15 yds, 2.6 dSRS

Defensive Rankings:
Pit: #2 pts, #1 yds, 5.7 dSRS
Bal: #3 pts, #3 yds, 2.9 dSRS

The Ravens are pretty clearly more balanced - at least that's what the overall statistical profile suggests. And, while I think that Roethlisberger is better than Flacco and has some great weapons like Wallace, the fact is that Baltimore has some excellent weapons as well. Ray Rice is an absolute monster, and Boldin and Torrey Smith are very good wideouts. Ed ****son (53 rec, 508 yds, 5 td) is also putting up better stats than Heath Miller at TE (49 rec, 608 yds, 2 td).

So Baltimore has some absolutely terrific offensive talent. If Flacco plays well, their offense can be dynamic.

They are not more complete. Infact,they are the least complete because they are the only team with a unit that isn't adequate to complete anything.

The reason the Steeler's offense gets the cred is because the unit is good and that's proved when one realizes the proof is found in that's what's believed.

Why does a 20th scoring offense make a team more complete than a 14th ranked scoring defense?

Last edited:
Pitt and it isnt close.

If Pig Ben is healthy, they SHOULD win it all.

It isn't close? They are far and away more balanced than the team from Baltimore that beat them twice this year? How does that work?

Not sure where all the hype for Pittsburgh's "balance" is coming from. In their four losses the offense scored 3, 7, 10, and 20. Fat Ben threw 2 Tds to 8 Ints in those games.

They should win it all? Please they can't even win the North:rolleyes:

So your answer is to torture non facts to prove something besides reality.

Here's a hint of what the problem was.

The last two playoff loses shows the opponent had 9 scoring drives. 6 of those drives started within field goal range.

Turnovers are two sided. Ya give up turnovers or turnover equivalents like returned onside kicks and muffed 4th down fake punt plays....and ya gots trouble.

Rule #2 of football- Don't give the opponent short fields.

Imfao....so the D deserves no blame for the last two losses? It's the O and ST mistakes?

How about just stopping guys even if they are on your side of the field? Our D has given up multiple backbreaking plays these last seasons even despite their bend but break D.

2010 NE D made it's living on turnovers. They weren't very good at much else.

I just have to go with the Saints because of the many ways they can win.

For no good reason, and this probably makes no sense.. my loyalty to the Patriots is unwavering..

The Stats don't tell you what QB (albeit injured), playing on a quality defensive team, is an experienced, clutch player, having played in 3 of past 6 Super Bowls, winning 2.

In one of those two super bowls, Ben Roethlisberger played perhaps the worst game of any SB-winning QB in history: 9-23 (39.1%), 123 yds (5.3 y/a), 0 td, 2 int. He did far more to hurt them that game than to help, yet they won despite him.

Moreover, if he was that clutch and that good, how come Pittsburgh's offense is ranked as low as it is?

Where are the Texans?? No love?? Lol!!

I came here to say the Texans! They are top 5 in pass AND run defense while being top 5 in run offense. If Schaub and AJ were playing they could conceivably be top 5 pass offense as well. That's about as well rounded as you can get.

I just have to go with the Saints because of the many ways they can win.

on offense....on defense they give up a lot of yards and don't produce as many turnovers as GB or NE.

I picked the 49ers. They remind me of the Patriots during the 1st SB run. Solid defense and balanced offense.

I think any team with a running game and good defense can beat the beastly offenses of NE, NO and overrated GB, by winning the T.O.P battle.

If I had to pick the 2nd team, I'm picking the Patriots. I'll admit, I have no confidence in the defense, but they are very dependable, when relied upon. The only issue I have with the Pats is... in the playoffs Brady kind of depends too much on himself to win games and it has resulted in losses in the last 2 games playoff games. Hopefully he's not doing that this season.

[Well here's some stats for you chief.....we are 17th overall in rushing attempts and BOB has frequently abandoned the run, or we have not been able to establish the run at key moments during many games this year. This means that our offense is often UNBALANCED. Would you agree with that?

ps: The Pats D is not statistically better than GB.....you can look it up. Overall team defense on Sportingnews.com ranks GB 12th, and NE is 18th. GB leads the league in INT's with 29. Pats do have more sacks however ) Obviously, neither defense is spectacular but statistically GB is better overall.

As far as a deep threat is concerned.....perhaps we don't need that, but would you agree that if a team employs a strategy like Pitt and the Gints did where they jam and contain Gronk and Welk at the LOS, and force Brady to beat them with Hernandez and Branch....the offense suffers? We don't have that OTHER threat that a team like GB or NO have.....Now Hernandez has come on as of late....but Branch hasn't been able to consistently bring it this year, and with Gronk and Welk out of the picture...very hard to score. We are missing at least one more GREAT WR....which I think everyone thought would be Ocho....

zzzzQUOTE=ProudestRyno;2868135]Good thing, cause you are actually about most of what you wrote...

The Patriots run the ball plenty...The Patriots don't NEED A DEEP THREAT. They have one of the most powerful offenses in the league again without one. They didn't have one in the last 2 Superbowl wins...Not sure where this false idea of needing a deep threat comes from. I guess it's from having Randy Moss for a while? Who knows, but either way it's incorrect.

PS: Pats D is better than the Packer's D.

People need to stop ranking defenses by yardage allowed.

If we did that, than the 2004 Pats defense wasn't very good either..[/QUOTE]

Imfao....so the D deserves no blame for the last two losses? It's the O and ST mistakes?

How about just stopping guys even if they are on your side of the field? Our D has given up multiple backbreaking plays these last seasons even despite their bend but break D.

2010 NE D made it's living on turnovers. They weren't very good at much else.

LOL

Try to understand football from a non dummy perspective.

Yeah, the losses were primarily from the offense and special teams. Don't turn the ball over for short fields and both New York and Baltimore were essentially shut down. 17 points in two games.

Which only goes to show how important TURNOVERS are. Because they go hand in hand with short fields

You don't grasp this because you believe in a dumb concept and the only way to not admit this is to retort even dumber retorts.

LOL

Try to understand football from a non dummy perspective.

Yeah, the losses were primarily from the offense and special teams. Don't turn the ball over for short fields and both New York and Baltimore were essentially shut down. 17 points in two games.

Which only goes to show how important TURNOVERS are. Because they go hand in hand with short fields

You don't grasp this because you believe in a dumb concept and the only way to not admit this is to retort even dumber retorts.

Turnovers happen and are a part of the game and the O and ST deserve some blame for it because god forbid they aren't perfect every time out. Brady can't afford to have games like the ones that Rodgers and Rapistberger had during their 2010 playoff run. To me it's the below average D that can't make up for it. If they don't get turnovers - don't stop the other team either.

Sanchez had a career day and Greene kept punishing them.

Like i said...once it felt like we had momentum and were back in the game what did the D do? They immediately gave up a 58 yarder and the game was history from that point onwards.

Baltimore game was ****ed since Ray Rices opening run. I'll give them credit for holding joe flacco to 4 passes and 34 yards passing heh.

And how was it 17 points in two games essentialy? I checked and it was 61 against two mediocre offenses. Does it only count when the NE D has a 80 yard field to play with? Can't expect them to make a stop within their own field?

Settle down now...if you believe it's the offense that needs to put 30 on the board every game and that is what is holding this team back then fine.

Last edited:
Steelers D has only like 14 turnovers on the year. NE has something like 30.

That speaks volumes of how good their D is at just forcing their team off the field.

Low turnover numbers are a Flashing Red Light to experienced Coaches. It reveals a slowing and aging Defense.

Inspecting the Steelers roster, we find that is indeed the case.

Most completely balanced team 2011:rolleyes:

Colts
offense
27th Pass yds
24th Rush Yds
28th pnts scored

defense
22nd Rush Yds allowed
29th Pass Yds allowed
30th Pnts allowed

Low turnover numbers are a Flashing Red Light to experienced Coaches. It reveals a slowing and aging Defense.

Inspecting the Steelers roster, we find that is indeed the case.

As opposed to what...a young and fast D like NEs? lulz

Why is 49ers listed and not the Pats? Is it to avoid bias or because you really like Alex Smith checking down over our 30 takeaways on D?

I think it has to be Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or New Orleans. Followed by us, GB, and the Chargers/Cowboys when they try. I don't think any team is that complete this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back