Most Boring Patriots team in years

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I am a big fan but you hav to admit that this edition of the NE Patriots is as bland as any we have seen in years. The big play is non existant on both sides of the ball. Hey I guess as long as they win everything is "A OK".

MrTibbs said:
Don't get me wrong I am a big fan but you hav to admit that this edition of the NE Patriots is as bland as any we have seen in years. The big play is non existant on both sides of the ball. Hey I guess as long as they win everything is "A OK".

I don't agree really. I've been just as stressed out by the close wins, and just as hyped by the big plays in the Bengals game as any year before. I guess it's the winning that really does it for me, so I'm happy at 4-1. I may be in the minority there though.

I disagree, at least on offense. The Pats need to bring back some of the dink/dunking from 2001-3. They're trying to hit the big play with, well, Maroney, Gabriel, Caldwell, and the rest.

But on defense, sure. Turnovers are excitement. 2001 and 2003 had pleeeeenty of them.

Not sure I agree, there have been a number of long passing plays, and Maroney brings the ability to take one to the house from anywhere on the field.

Yeah they just keep winning, it's always the same. Those boring Pats.

Yeah, Maroney and Dillon instead of Antwain Smith. Ben Watson instead of Wiggins. I sure do miss the good ol' days.

Turnovers on D are the only thing this team is missing.

Yes, I long for the good old days when the Patriots be getting their asses kicked by 30 points going into the 4th quarter.

Then stage a furious come back with big play after big play only to fall short at the end by 10 points.

I remember those good old days well.

Boring? Then don't watch or bother to post about a boring team!

Amazing, we have one of the best teams in football in recent memory and we have moved the topic of talking about our SB MVP's QB's poor body language to now comments on the bore of it all.

Pat fans get a bad wrap for a reason!

I think the poster's point is off-base, but I don't think it deserves outright ridicule. The Patriots haven't played a lot of pretty games so far, but I think this offense has the potential to do things that past offenses were not up to. The Maroney factor is very exciting, and as soon as Brady and the new WR's get in sync, the Pats should be a pretty fun team to watch.

Do you remember '01? The only difference on offense between then and now is that the QB is better, the line is better, the running game is better, and the receivers are a little worse. Oh that and we weren't spoiled then, and were simply happy with the Pats winning.

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:

Be careful, unless you feel this Patriots team is the greatest thing since canned beer, people around these parts will call you a "troll" or a "fraud". Be advised.

I suppose you'd favor the 2000 or 20002 version of the Pats over this one? I'll take the guys we have any day! My definition of a boring team is one you don't care about watching on Sunday. I have not felt that way about the Pats in many years, and am still way too excited every Sunday. I actually get butterflies before each game! If that is boring, then ho-hum; keep it coming!

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Do you remember '01? The only difference between on offense between then and now is that the QB is better, the line is better, the running game is better, and the receivers are a little worse. Oh that and we weren't spoiled then, and were simply happy with the Pats winning.

I don't agree with this at all. In '01 it was Troy Brown and that's all.

patsox23 said:
I think the poster's point is off-base, but I don't think it deserves outright ridicule. The Patriots haven't played a lot of pretty games so far, but I think this offense has the potential to do things that past offenses were not up to. The Maroney factor is very exciting, and as soon as Brady and the new WR's get in sync, the Pats should be a pretty fun team to watch.

ThanksPatsox. That is what I was trying to say. I miss the precision of the passing game the complex pass coverages for picks. That sort of stuff. It's great to be 4-1 no doubt, I just miss how the passing game would carve teams up.

zippo59 said:
I don't agree with this at all. In '01 it was Troy Brown and that's all.

2001 Troy Brown > than any single WR on our roster in 2006 to this point. The group as a whole, however? I feel that the group potential of the 2006 WRs is much higher than what the group potential of 2001 turned out to be (ahh the gift of hindsight).

Fred Coleman, anyone? :D

zippo59 said:
Yeah they just keep winning, it's always the same. Those boring Pats.

amen.............

Brownfan80 said:
2001 Troy Brown > than any single WR on our roster in 2006 to this point. The group as a whole, however? I feel that the group potential of the 2006 WRs is much higher than what the group potential of 2001 turned out to be (ahh the gift of hindsight).

Charles Johnson?

Curtis Jackson?

Bert Emanuel?

Torrance Small?

Brownfan80 said:

Troy Brown was awesome that year, but as you said the WR group as a whole were nobodies.

Let me try to take a different approach. How about instead of saying this team is 'boring', what if we say this team has 'under-performed' a bit based perhaps on our 'over-enthusiastic' feelings in the pre-season about a great offense and perhaps a dominating D-Line, and for some, the return of a talented secondary.

In that case, we can view the team as not quite living up to our own hype, but still being a solid 4-1 team. Perhaps 'uglier' than expected, but maybe not 'boring'.

I think we are still waiting for the Watson break-out, Grambo's big season, the explosive offense, Tom Brady putting up big numbers, the great pass rush, crushing hits from the LBs, and the stingy secondary that we talked about in mini-camp. I think many folks here probably 'expected' more out of some area of the team than what has occurred so far, so a feeling of slight let down is natural.

But it makes no real difference as long as the team continues to improve and continues to win.

Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey