PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss's Chase of the Checkbook indicates he's reverted to "Raider Randy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to state the obvious to everyone - but the fact that he hasn't signed here when he's had weeks to do so indicates he's courting other offers.

I don't want to call anyone naive - but if you think he's NOT actively shopping himself and is only negotiating with the Patriots, I've got some swampland in Florida I'd like to sell you.

And if he is courting other deals then its clear that he's more interested in a lucrative contract than playing with Brady and the Patriots - as he claimed - for reasonable money.

Does anyone truly think Moss is ONLY in negotiations with the Patriots at this point? Do you really need Moss HIMSELF to confirm that, or is there a little bit of common sense that says, yes, of course he's shopping himself around having turned down whatever offer the Patriots have made following weeks of negotiations?

Are you kidding me, he's just like any other player.... wants to maximize his profits and who can blame him.

What if he can get paid and play for a team that is capable of contending?

Like Jax? Zero SBs and no proof they're capable other than a few good years recently, but no big wins that I recall. Dallas? I hardly think that's a realistic capability, especially with what they've lost this off season and TO in the mix. NO? Again, not exactly a franchise that's proven themselves capable of winning with any regularity. Who else is a contender with the cap room to pay him more than 10M per year with a real QB capable of helping him get into the HoF? If he gets 10M or more for 3+ years, I have a hard time believing it will be with any SERIOUS contender. Those who talk about our "draught" are being ridiculous, we're contenders every year since 2004, though we haven't won it all...other than Indy, who can you say that about? SD? They've yet to prove themselves capable of winning it all.

ENOUGH OF THIS MOSS NONSENSE!! The Pats have wasted enough time trying to sign this guy. WE NEED TO IMPROVE OUR DEFENSE. I won't shed a tear for the loss of Randall Gay, Asante Samuel or Eugene Wilson. Not one of those players made a single play on that last drive in the Super Bowl to win the game. When was the last time Eugene Wilson played a full season. I'll bet money if Gay wasn't playing in a contract year, his arse would have missed a few games too. For two years straight our defense couldn't make the plays needed to win a Championship when the game was on the line. It's time to make some changes. As for Moss, we won three Championships without him, and NONE with him. We will be alright if he does not return.

Last edited:
while we're on the subject of moss and checkbooks,

does anyone know what happened with the woman in florida?

And if he is courting other deals then its clear that he's more interested in a lucrative contract than playing with Brady and the Patriots - as he claimed - for reasonable money.

People keep assuming Moss is being greedy and that the Patriots aren't just being cheap. Stop giving just the Patriots the benefit of the doubt.

Hate to add another Moss thread but I think it's important to broadcast this notion to the football world.

While Moss was here he demonstrated his ability to act like a team player (which is easier when you're getting enough passes thrown your way to set NFL records and aren't losing any games).

He also went on the record saying that money wasn't the most important thing - that winning was. He said - pleaded with Bob Kraft and Belichick publicly in fact - that he wanted to remain a Patriot and wanted to play with Brady.

Part of me felt that was all about Randy posturing, saying the right things to get the highest payday after his one year deal with the Pats. But I wanted to believe otherwise and in fact did eventually.

All of that was significant as when in Oakland it became clear to everyone that Randy was all about the money - not winning, and was a bad teammate that hurt rather than helped his team.

Well, now Randy is sending a loud message to the NFL about who the REAL Randy Moss is.

By all but turning his back on the Patriots and shopping himself to other teams he's made it clear that everything he said before about money and winning and being a good teammate was Bull$h!t.

This should give any GM or owner - including Belichick and Kraft - serious pause when contemplating whether to give this guy a multi-year $10 million a year contract. They all know now that his words about winning and teamwork mean nothing. It's all about the money.

And THAT tell us all that he's reverted to Raider Randy - a guy who, once he has a guaranteed contract in hand, isn't going to give it his all, and might actually be a detriment to the team, just as he was in Oakland.

I think Moss has miscalculated his moves - and may find that his offers are heading south the longer this saga continues. And whether its the Patriots or some other team that signs him, I'm very much worried as to the value he'll bring, and how hard he'll work with a long-term contract with dozens of millions of dollars guaranteed.

In a nutshell, Moss has sent a loud message to the NFL in his dealings with the Patriots - let the buyer beware... Raider Randy is back.

He actually got his guaranteed contract in Minnesota and went on to have multiple Probowl-All-Pro seasons there AFTER getting that contract, so that shoots down you theory. His ONE bad season in Oakland had nothing to do with guaranteed contracts, he was already in year 5 of a 7-8 year contract by then. His performance/behavior in Oakland was all about Oakland. But its good to know you're willing to give Randy the benefit of the doubt and have his back, lol.

Who else is a contender with the cap room to pay him more than 10M per year with a real QB capable of helping him get into the HoF? If he gets 10M or more for 3+ years, I have a hard time believing it will.
New Orleans would be a good fit for Randy Moss with that pass happy offense under the direction of Sean Payton. Drew Brees is a good quarterback and a wide receiver opposite of Marques Colston would stabilize the Saints passing attack.

ENOUGH OF THIS MOSS NONSENSE!! The Pats have wasted enough time trying to sign this guy. WE NEED TO IMPROVE OUR DEFENSE. I won't shed a tear for the loss of Randall Gay, Asante Samuel or Eugene Wilson. Not one of those players made a single play on that last drive in the Super Bowl to win the game. When was the last time Eugene Wilson played a full season. I'll bet money if Gay wasn't playing in a contract year, his arse would have missed a few games too. For two years straight our defense couldn't make the plays needed to win a Championship when the game was on the line. It's time to make some changes. As for Moss, we won three Championships without him, and NONE with him. We will be alright if he does not return.

Moss is the reason the Patriots lost 14-17 in the SB and not 7-17 or even 0-17 in the SB. You're right, the defense blew it in the end, as they did often this season. But in spite of a swiss cheese o-line, Brady2Moss and Brady2Welker is the only thing that gave the defense a lead to protect.

Well if Gaffney and Moss does leave, Wr just became priority number 2.

People keep assuming Moss is being greedy and that the Patriots aren't just being cheap. Stop giving just the Patriots the benefit of the doubt.

Bingo. Its amazing how people are just ready to throw Moss of a bridge without one iota of evidence that he's asking for a lot of money.

THE SKY IS FALLING! :bricks:

Like Jax? Zero SBs and no proof they're capable other than a few good years recently, but no big wins that I recall. Dallas? I hardly think that's a realistic capability, especially with what they've lost this off season and TO in the mix. NO? Again, not exactly a franchise that's proven themselves capable of winning with any regularity. Who else is a contender with the cap room to pay him more than 10M per year with a real QB capable of helping him get into the HoF? If he gets 10M or more for 3+ years, I have a hard time believing it will be with any SERIOUS contender. Those who talk about our "draught" are being ridiculous, we're contenders every year since 2004, though we haven't won it all...other than Indy, who can you say that about? SD? They've yet to prove themselves capable of winning it all.

What have the cowboys lost this offseason? And if you don't think Moss going to the Cowboys would put them on the fast track to the Superbowl in the NFL then you're not watching Football. The Patriots do not have a monopoly on winning superbowls, the last 4 years have proven that. There are up and coming teams, that would be instant contenders if Moss was to be added to those teams.

New Orleans would be a good fit for Randy Moss with that pass happy offense under the direction of Sean Payton. Drew Brees is a good quarterback and a wide receiver opposite of Marques Colston would stabilize the Saints passing attack.
I don't disagree except that the franchise in NO has never proven anything except that they seem to work with concurrent up and down years. They have, through their entire franchise history, never proven themselves to be consistent winners, so it would be hard to argue that taking a bundle of money and going there guaranteed anything other than a bundle of money. Our franchise has proven that our strategy works, very few others in the league have done that, and the mentality of "getting paid" has worked out poorly for darn near every guy that has left us except maybe Vin...if Randy has sense and is really about winning and not the $, I expect he'll be back and I'll be thrilled. If Randy really is more about the $ than the team, I won't be sad to see him go and we'll see how it pans out. The only scenario that worries me is if we overpay for him, and the silence thus far looks like that won't be the case, so personally, I think I'll be happy with the results no matter what.

Moss is the reason the Patriots lost 14-17 in the SB and not 7-17 or even 0-17 in the SB. You're right, the defense blew it in the end, as they did often this season. But in spite of a swiss cheese o-line, Brady2Moss and Brady2Welker is the only thing that gave the defense a lead to protect.

That game drove me crazy. The offense couldn't make plays until the end. We finally get the lead and the defense couldn't hold it. They had Manning in their grasp and once again the pass rush failed against a mediocre QB. I don't care what anyone says, Eli was a mediocre QB. There is something missing on our D and it's time to fix it. It would be awesome if we could get this Moss deal done, but IMHO, it's time to spend some money on our defense.

What have the cowboys lost this offseason? And if you don't think Moss going to the Cowboys would put them on the fast track to the Superbowl in the NFL then you're not watching Football. The Patriots do not have a monopoly on winning superbowls, the last 4 years have proven that. There are up and coming teams, that would be instant contenders if Moss was to be added to those teams.
He didn't help us win a Superbowl and I think we're a stronger team in almost all areas than Dallas. And last I checked, they lost Parcells drafting ability (edited obviously this was 2 years ago, but it catches up quick), and Sparano. Those aren't small things, and if you don't think Wade is winning with Bill's boys, I don't know what to tell you. We'll see what Wade and Jerry are about this year, I'm not writing them off, but I don't give them nearly the cred most here seem to.

Last edited:

A lot of people on this board are underestiamting the value of Randy Moss. He's arguably the biggest non-QB gamechanging offensive player in football. He doesnt just add to offenses, he alters them..adds a whole new dynamic and immediately makes an above=average offense great. He could go to a team like Jacksonville and 18 TD Gerrard could easily become 33 TD Gerrard, Moss makes that much of a difference.

I don't disagree except that the franchise in NO has never proven anything except that they seem to work with concurrent up and down years. They have, through their entire franchise history, never proven themselves to be consistent winners, so it would be hard to argue that taking a bundle of money and going there guaranteed anything other than a bundle of money. Our franchise has proven that our strategy works, very few others in the league have done that, and the mentality of "getting paid" has worked out poorly for darn near every guy that has left us except maybe Vin...if Randy has sense and is really about winning and not the $, I expect he'll be back and I'll be thrilled. If Randy really is more about the $ than the team, I won't be sad to see him go and we'll see how it pans out. The only scenario that worries me is if we overpay for him, and the silence thus far looks like that won't be the case, so personally, I think I'll be happy with the results no matter what.
This is what will we find out about Randy Moss this off-season. Money or winning?

Last edited:
This is what will we find out about Randy Moss this off-season. Money or winning?

Not necessarily...we only find that out if the Pats make him a slightly below market offer or better. But if the Pats are offering an average of 7.5 when he could get 10+, him leaving the team is understandable.

Exactly my point...and however it pans out, I suspect I'll be happy with it because it will speak volumes about the player and his value to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back