PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss Turned Down 1-Year Offer With Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but Chris Carter is a moron and i'll need a better source than him to believe it.

As a Buckeye Fan I agree. Actually his son, on the Buckeye team, is the biggest moron of that family. Failed out of OSU.

Randy, please re-consider, would love to have you back man

Meh, I think the Pats will be just fine without him. We DID go 14 - 2 last season with him only contributing in about 4 games. The Patriots will dominate this season as usual :rocker:

...and one of those 4 games was 1 of our 2 losses. So with Randy we were 3-1 and without him we were 11-1 in the regular season.

I loved Randy and I believe he probably could be effective if he came back here, but I also agree with earlier posters that TB seemed to get too locked in to Randy at times. Randy became Tom's favorite receiver, with good reason, but Tom is most effective when his favorite receiver is "the one who is open".

They should have offered him more money. A one year deal is fine but you need to offer the cash. He would come back for 20 million.
7174-13247.gif

Are You on Druuhhgs Boy?

I love Randy, but the Pats really don't need him at this point, IMHO. I liked the offense much better without him last season. It was much more balanced, and I think it was actually harder to gameplan against.

He should have played for the Pats just to try and get a ring. He played 13 years, play one more and see if you can get that title.

We should of paid him "Straight Cash Homey"

On another note. This is a guy thats used to making some serious money. I don't think most of us fans can fathom their salaries and pay checks the way that they do. They really do live in another reality.

If someone told you? Sorry G I know you've been working hard but we are going to cut your salary from 60,000 to 20,000 next year. What would you do?

Other scenario. You're 65, pension all in place, 401k loaded. You've basically been working because you like your job. You don't need to because you've basically set your self up for retirement. If that much of a pay cut came into play you'd probably file your paperwork the next day.

I would like to see Randy back. Wouldn't go as far as saying love,but I think it'd be a good addition. I find it hard to believe that he worked out so hard, his agent said he was in great shape and determined, and then a week after FA starts, he says "aww **** it. I'm retiring." Something is amiss here.

Maybe he doesn't want to go to TC. I could see that. Come in a few weeks into the season.

We should of paid him "Straight Cash Homey"

On another note. This is a guy thats used to making some serious money. I don't think most of us fans can fathom their salaries and pay checks the way that they do. They really do live in another reality.

If someone told you? Sorry G I know you've been working hard but we are going to cut your salary from 60,000 to 20,000 next year. What would you do?

Other scenario. You're 65, pension all in place, 401k loaded. You've basically been working because you like your job. You don't need to because you've basically set your self up for retirement. If that much of a pay cut came into play you'd probably file your paperwork the next day.

If I was "loaded" and loved what I did, the paycut wouldn't be much of an issue. A paycut with a guy who needs his ego stoked is another matter. In this case, I don't think it's the actual $'s. I think Randy has an Ego and is a sensitive dude. He needs to feel wanted, and low end Salary is telling him he's not really wanted/needed.

For me, I don't like that Chris Carter is the only source for this story.

heh...you picked up on that too...he's got Wrecks Disease...can't stop vomiting bullcrap

Are there any limits, restrictions or hoops to jump through for players who retire and then shortly thereafter renege?

I believe if they officially retire (file retirement papers) they have to secure permission from the Commissioner to rescind them. Lots of players "retire" without filing papers for some time.

cris carter ? he's a crackhead who likes to hear himself talk. think michael irvin.

if the pats did offer him a contract it was for the vet min and thats why he did not take it... yes he wanted to play for a winner but he also wanted to be the #1 WR on that team i am a big fan of Moss but he will not take a back seat to anyone

Sorry, but again.

I don't think in the HISTORY of this game, ANY player has decided to retire rather than play for a team of their choice that is a serious super bowl contender. ESPECIALLY when money is less of an issue than a championship.

Let me start of by saying I love Randy Moss.
………….Over here, we take it 1 play at a time, 1 series at a time, one quarter at a time, one game at a time, one quarter season at a time, one year at a time. And especially with the fiasco from last year, come prove it.

I would like to see Randy back. Wouldn't go as far as saying love,but I think it'd be a good addition. I find it hard to believe that he worked out so hard, his agent said he was in great shape and determined, and then a week after FA starts, he says "aww **** it. I'm retiring." Something is amiss here.

Maybe he doesn't want to go to TC. I could see that. Come in a few weeks into the season.

NO THANK YOU even if you like what he did; he gave up and you can’t rely on him not to give up again at a critical time. – see below.

USCPatriot said:
But you have to think, in 2007 it was a disgusting combination. The defense was GREAT, D-line, Line-backers, Cornerbacks and safeties. It was a GREAT group of guys!...........

I just feel like the defense is almost/ might be at a point were taking shots down field will be more effective than just a pass/run balanced offense.

[BOLD] NO NEVER. That is NOT the BB PATS way!!! [/BOLD] BB is playing the percentages – all the time. Taking high risk high reward shots downfield and giving your opponent low risk-high opportunity SHORT FIELD as a result is NOT statistically a winning strategy. (Overstated) It is like putting your money on 32 BLACK at Roulette. The one time in 1000 in pays off you get a huge adrenaline high. Meanwhile you lost a $1000 to win $200.
I love what Randy did here but I hated it when a first down play would be a low percentage 30+ yard heave downfield to Randy for an incompletion> I felt it took away a down and didn't really play to the Patriots strengths. When it works it was amazing and caused defenses to play outside their comfort zones. When it didn't it turned the ball over quickly and forced a mediocre defense to do more than they were able.

I love Randy, but the Pats really don't need him at this point, IMHO. I liked the offense much better without him last season. It was much more balanced, and I think it was actually harder to gameplan against.

Now Patsboy & Eat da are talking some common sense. The attack is more dangerous when TB can target THE OPEN GUY and not force it into THE MOSS (insert other overpaid self-promoting jerk here) CONNECTION.

Besides as I said above. He quit on the Pats at the beginning of the season in 09 and there is a good argument to be made that he quit in the playoffs in 07. Revis had a point. He was a SLOUCH. He wanted to be good-time Rock-Roll Randy when the CBs were avg; but as soon as he faced TOUGH DEFENSES in the Playoffs – he went SILENT. Do you EVER REMEMBER that happening to JERRY RICE?
Just look at his stats from 07. Ok he got one TD vs Giants; but where are his yards. The guy avged almost 1.5 TDs a game during season and only 0.33 for the playoffs. SLOUCH, QUITTER, GRANDSTANDER. PLEASE DON’T COME BACK (even on a One Year contract).
I too loved him during 07 season; but cannot forgive him for that loss in SB. I don’t think he or the CB we don’t talk about anymore gave it all in that game.

MOSS: Rec Yds Avg Lg TDs
Season AVG 6 93 15.2 65 1.44
Playoff AVG 2.3 31 13.4 18 0.33
2/3/07 vs NYG 5 62 12.4 18 1

Last edited:
I think the Patriots offered Moss a one year extension LAST season before he pouted his way out of town. Once they traded Mossy to Minnestoa I do not believe the Patriots ever had any plans to bring him back.
I do not believe Moss had a contract offer on the table from the Patriots for this year. I do believe the trade for Ocho ended the Patriot fantasy that Moss had going in his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes