PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss: Playing small in big games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy Moss doesn't catch the ball well. Randy Moss has a 6 inch vertical jump.

Your trolling, right? Ask anyone who's seen Moss in a training camp how good his hands are.

If your going to criticize Moss, do it on parts off his game that you can take shots at, like him not wanting to go over the middle. Don't just make **** up. Because saying the most physically gifted WR of all time has a 6 inch vert is one of the most stupid things I've ever seen posted on any message board.

Thank god I was waiting for someone to say this.

Apart from the miscommunication on the pick, Moss did the best he could have yesterday. The problem was Brady not Moss.
The loss raised a lot of problems, but perhaps in the long run it is good that Brady was chastened for acting out of the team's best interests.

It isn't Moss hate, though.

Moss made a terrific one handed grab but bobbled and dropped a TD. Then across the middle the ball went right through his hands.

Interference on both. On one, his whole arm was being pulled back. On the other, he was chopped.

So is Moss going to be blamed every time Brady zones in on him or over throws a pass? Has Brady become that infallible?

It isn't Moss hate, though.

Moss made a terrific one handed grab but bobbled and dropped a TD. Then across the middle the ball went right through his hands.
If it isn't Moss hate then it's sheer stupidity!

Who gives a flying F if Moss ever sees another play call that goes across the middle? Moss is the best deep ball receiver this game has ever seen. His forte is running deep and catching TD's, commanding double teams and opening up lanes underneath in the process, creating mismatches all over the field. Asking Moss to catch balls underneath is akin to buying a Lambo and taking it 4 wheeling, off-road. Only for the stupid.

The Pats have 4 bonafide weapons (Welker, Edleman, Gronk, Hernandez) who excel running underneath routes. Let these guys do the grunt work; it's there job! The Pats don't require Moss to run those routes as well. And, if they do, it's only to keep defenders honest but, with the weapons on this team, that shouldn't even be an issue .... if the flippin play caller had a clue how to maximize the weapons he has available to him.

Randy Moss doesn't catch the ball well. Randy Moss has a 6 inch vertical jump.

Your trolling, right? Ask anyone who's seen Moss in a training camp how good his hands are.

If your going to criticize Moss, do it on parts off his game that you can take shots at, like him not wanting to go over the middle. Don't just make **** up. Because saying the most physically gifted WR of all time has a 6 inch vert is one of the most stupid things I've ever seen posted on any message board.

I remember people telling me how Wade Boggs would put on a show at BP. Other than the one handed catch yesterday what did he do? He caught a 5 yard out. He was thrown at 10 times, two completions, one TD dropped/defended, aligator arms AGAIN across the middle. The interception can be excused because he was trying to deflect it back to himself, but if he could jump just a little he would have gone over the smurf DB that was guarding him and made a catch when it counted.

You can kiss Randy's butt all you want, he had a bad game yesterday, he had a bad game against the Jets twice last year and he had an OK game against the Bengles last week. Then he has the balls to come out after the game and talk about motivation and who wanted it more. He needs to earn his next contract, and yesterday's effort will not get one for him.

How many Anti-moss threads are there going to be on the site the Moss haters are here in full force lately

The Moss hate continues I see.

Was yesterday a big game in your opinion? If so, Moss accounted for 50% of the points the Pats scored on offense including a spectacular 1 handed grab where he indeed came up big.

I can think of a slew of other Pats offensive players who deserve to be chastised much more than Moss.

I saw about 3 passes in the middle of the field he could have gotten with a little effort. He's too much of a coward to extend if he might get hit.

Originally Posted by E Belichick Unum
I don't hate Moss, I just don't think he deserves the praise he gets. He will not go across the middle, he doesn't really catch the long ball all that well, he has a 6 inch vertical leap, which is what caused the interception against the sideline yesterday.

What praise? Moss bashing is a common ritual. It's almost as ridiculous as the rest of your statements

So Randy is going to want 3 years at $4 mil a year with a $8 m signing bonus from the Pats. Is Randy worth $20M given his reluctance to go across the middle, and he really hasn't made a difference in consecutive games since 2007.

If you knew anything about the game, you would realize that Moss opens up the field for Welker and the rest of the skill players on offense. It's not like the players themselves haven't been saying it over the last week.

Of course you sign Moss to $4m / year. Unfortunately, that isn't even going to get it done.

It was an observation, Randy saves his best games for the ones that don't have any importance attached to them.

Could it be that the level of competition is higher in these games? just a thought

If it isn't Moss hate then it's sheer stupidity!

Who gives a flying F if Moss ever sees another play call that goes across the middle? Moss is the best deep ball receiver this game has ever seen. His forte is running deep and catching TD's, commanding double teams and opening up lanes underneath in the process, creating mismatches all over the field. Asking Moss to catch balls underneath is akin to buying a Lambo and taking it 4 wheeling, off-road. Only for the stupid.

The Pats have 4 bonafide weapons (Welker, Edleman, Gronk, Hernandez) who excel running underneath routes. Let these guys do the grunt work; it's there job! The Pats don't require Moss to run those routes as well. And, if they do, it's only to keep defenders honest but, with the weapons on this team, that shouldn't even be an issue .... if the flippin play caller had a clue how to maximize the weapons he has available to him.

Then Randy is useless. He doesn't run when he doesn't expect a pass, so using him as a decoy is out of the question. He outs when he isn't thrown at, even when he doesn't deserve to be thrown at. Trade him is all he is good for is the occational go route.

I watched and rewatched the game yesterday, Brady sucked, the play calling sucked, the defense was horrible, but Randy had the chance to maybe make a difference and he dropped that TD throw and he batted the ball for an interception, and let's not mention that he should have caught a pass in stride across the middle but decided he didn't want to make an effort to catch the ball if it might get him hit.

Randy is an OK player, but he just isn't a great player anymore, and that choice was his. When he was young he would catch everything, now he just catches what is convenient for him to catch.

Yeah, I'm pissed

The problem isn't Moss here; the problem is that Brady doesn't seem to realize that we have other receivers/tight ends on this team besides Moss.

Then Randy is useless. He doesn't run when he doesn't expect a pass, so using him as a decoy is out of the question. He outs when he isn't thrown at, even when he doesn't deserve to be thrown at. Trade him is all he is good for is the occational go route.

I watched and rewatched the game yesterday, Brady sucked, the play calling sucked, the defense was horrible, but Randy had the chance to maybe make a difference and he dropped that TD throw and he batted the ball for an interception, and let's not mention that he should have caught a pass in stride across the middle but decided he didn't want to make an effort to catch the ball if it might get him hit.

Randy is an OK player, but he just isn't a great player anymore, and that choice was his. When he was young he would catch everything, now he just catches what is convenient for him to catch.

Yeah, I'm pissed
.... and I suspect blind too

I would take a David Givens type player over a Randy Moss in 2011 hands down,its time to find the open man again instead of an aging star player who gets blanketed and targeted.

Moss is an every once in a while big play receiver,but 2007 is not coming back anytime soon..its time to get young AND less predictable on offense

An unpredictable offense starts with having a RB who is capable of a big play at any time and if you don't have an option in the backfield it starts getting easy to plan defensively against, because every team in the league knows Brady will throw bombs to Moss several times a game.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm pissed

wow that is a lot of Moss hate but he does go across the field at times and is on of hte best on the team at the quick 5 yard hitch for the first down cause he is such a down field threat.

I am sick of the Moss hate around here right now.

wow that is a lot of Moss hate but he does go across the field at times and is on of hte best on the team at the quick 5 yard hitch for the first down cause he is such a down field threat.

I am sick of the Moss hate around here right now.

I don't hate Randy, hell I want to have his love child! But I am allowed to be pissed off at his overall effort.

The Patriots run Randy across the middle, and Randy's arms get considerably shorter when he is running across the middle. As I said, he had two catches yeaserday and one was a 5 yard out for a first down, but does that mean I have to forget his short arms across the middle, or his lack of jump on the interception?

My guess is that you guys are in love with Randy from 2007. It is now three years later, Randy doesn't catch the ball as well as he used to, Brady doesn't get him the ball as well as he used to and BB doesn't call his name as often as he used to. Randy is kind of like Manny, a one dimensional freak who used to be able to dominate a game.

My guess is that you guys are in love with Randy from 2007. It is now three years later, Randy doesn't catch the ball as well as he used to, Brady doesn't get him the ball as well as he used to and BB doesn't call his name as often as he used to. Randy is kind of like Manny, a one dimensional freak who used to be able to dominate a game.

The only one caught up in 2007 is YOU because you obviously expect 2007 levels of record breaking greatness. 2007 was a special year, it's not going to happen again. Moss is still the best (at worst top 3) WR in the NFL.

One dimensional freak? Sorry but you simply have no grasp on the game of football.

As I watched the game yesterday I was amazed at hoe Randy Moss once again came up small. His inability to catch what his hands touch is getting predictable and because he tends to pout Brady has to throw to him. He will not catch the ball across the middle and he is a coin flip to catch anything long that is put into his hands.

Randy was good to the Pats and the Pats have been good to Randy, but making him the focus of the offense is a recipe for 8 and 8.

I can't believe the hate Moss gets around here! I'm usually more of a reader than a poster, but the ignorant hate and game blaming losses directed towards Moss has got so bad that I can no longer bite my tongue.

Yes, Moss dropped a few passes, but he also burned the leagues best DB and the heart of the Jets defensive for 6 points. That TD Moss caught accounted for 50% of the points the Patriots scored. Therefore, it's a flawed logic to blame a player who scored half of the teams total points.

If you're looking for a scapegoat to blame for our offensives woes, instead of blaming Moss, you should start by taking a hard look at our impotent running game. When our leading rusher is gets all of 22 yards, you know you have a problem. Moreover, when your leading rusher is 34 year old Kevin Faulk, you know you have an even larger problem! The combined age of our two starting RB's (Faulk & Taylor) is a decrepit 68 years old. That is dreadful.

Aside from the running game mustering all of 52 Rushing yards while averaging a paltry 2.6 yards, our Defense was even more woeful. Our D gave up 136 rushing yards at a clip of 4.3 per attempt. They also gave up another 200 yards through the air.

I'm not an advocate for Randy Moss, I'll be the first to say that he needs to concentrate better on the field and catch the easy balls that he often lets slide off his finger tips. That said, if you were looking for players to blame for yesterday's loss, Randy Moss would be at the low end of the totem pole.

I don't hate Moss, I just don't think he deserves the praise he gets. He will not go across the middle, he doesn't really catch the long ball all that well, he has a 6 inch vertical leap, which is what caused the interception against the sideline yesterday.

So Randy is going to want 3 years at $4 mil a year with a $8 m signing bonus from the Pats. Is Randy worth $20M given his reluctance to go across the middle, and he really hasn't made a difference in consecutive games since 2007.

It was an observation, Randy saves his best games for the ones that don't have any importance attached to them.

You say that Moss can't or doesn't like going over the middle, that he isn't successful in going over the middle. Well I'll be darned, what an astute observation. 13 years in the NFL and you're just now pointing out that Randy Moss doesn't like going over the middle. Moss hasn't went across the middle since he played at Dupont High. Everyone, including the coaches should be completely aware of this. He still has managed 150 Touchdowns, second only to Jerry Rice. Saying that Moss won't go over the middle is the most idiotic statement a person can make. It's like saying Wes Welker can't catch the deep ball or out jump the DB, thus he's not worth what we pay him.

I'll make a more cogent analogy with another sport. It's like arguing that the 1995-2001 version of Shaquille O'Neal isn't worth the money because he has no jump shot, his mid-range game is abysmal and his free throw shooting is atrocious. Therefore how can you pay a player that much money when all he does is dominate the middle and put up 30 points per game. Granted none of those points are coming from beyond 15 feet and a limited amount are coming from free throws, yet he is still putting up numbers.

With an athlete like Moss it is all about how you utilize him. Is it not peculiar that in 2007 when the Pats had Josh McDaniels as their Offensive Coordinator, Randy Moss (in his 10th season in the NFL and with no Pre-Season games) caught a record breaking 23 TD's. Since McDaniels left, the Pats haven't had that type of brilliant Offensive minded coach to design plays that maximize Moss and Brady's talent. In 2007 Moss wasn't just catching touchdowns, he had 98 catches which means McDaniels was finding ways to get the guy who doesn't like going over the middle the ball. The only other year Moss had more receptions than in 2007 under McDaniels was in 2003 when his Offensive Coordinator was Scott Linehan. Just like McDaniels, Linehan has a bright offensive mind and found a way to get Moss 111 receptions without going over the middle.

Moss deserves some blame, when the ball hits your hands, catch it, but to single him out like he's bringing down the team is straight up illogical.

Last edited:
^ Moss also had over 100 catches in 02'.

Back to the original topic. Moss plays small in big games? I think every game is an important one and Randy Moss has 48 TDs since he came to New England including the go ahead TD in the Superbowl, the record breaker, the 'post up' TD against the Jets, the huge games against the Colts (09', 07'), and the countless huge games against teams that were blown out BECAUSE of Randy Moss spectacular play.

edit - LOL @ the guy that called Antonio Cromartie a midgit defender. The guy is 6'3.

Last edited:
I know I haven't posted in awhile but I felt the need to comment, Moss is a one trick pony at this point, he doesn't run any route with any conviction except the go route. Brady deserves alot of the blame though he forces the ball to Moss way to much which makes Moss's warts very visible. Why has no mentioned that every receiver that cromartie guarded the last 2 weeks beat him on EVERY SINGLE PLAY EXCEPT MOSS. Housh, Mason, Boldin, Welker, Hernadez all beat Cromartie pretty easily by running by him but Moss couldn't am I to believe that Houshmonzadah (sp?) is faster than Moss because every time they matched up he ran right by Cromartie yet Moss couldn't do that. What that leads me to believe is he didn't respect Moss running any other route but a go but with Housh and the others mentioned he had no idea what route they were go to run so he couldn't check them. If Moss could run other routes he wouldn't be so easily taken out of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes