PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss: Playing small in big games

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Belichick Unum

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
As I watched the game yesterday I was amazed at hoe Randy Moss once again came up small. His inability to catch what his hands touch is getting predictable and because he tends to pout Brady has to throw to him. He will not catch the ball across the middle and he is a coin flip to catch anything long that is put into his hands.

Randy was good to the Pats and the Pats have been good to Randy, but making him the focus of the offense is a recipe for 8 and 8.

The Moss hate continues I see.

Was yesterday a big game in your opinion? If so, Moss accounted for 50% of the points the Pats scored on offense including a spectacular 1 handed grab where he indeed came up big.

I can think of a slew of other Pats offensive players who deserve to be chastised much more than Moss.

The thing people miss about Randy is that he's so good at coming down with the ball, even with one hand, that he will fight through obvious interference. He never gets PIs call against the guy covering him, and I think that's because he's so tall and he gets his arms up there. Three times I saw him mauled (on the first long pass from Brady in the end zone, once when Revis grabbed hold of his arms coming across the middle and it looked like Moss short-armed it but on replay you could see Revis holding him by the bicep, and then Cromartie mauling him downfield) and there was no call.

So, fans think they see lack of effort from Moss, but a lot more is involved.

As I watched the game yesterday I was amazed at hoe Randy Moss once again came up small. His inability to catch what his hands touch is getting predictable and because he tends to pout Brady has to throw to him. He will not catch the ball across the middle and he is a coin flip to catch anything long that is put into his hands.

Randy was good to the Pats and the Pats have been good to Randy, but making him the focus of the offense is a recipe for 8 and 8.

Okay, I'm officially convinced the moss haters are either blind or nuts. No offense. :rolleyes: Moss has been an important part of our offense since we picked him up back in 2007 and has performed amazingly well every year. He is capable of making catches than not many other receivers can, as he showed us in the game sunday. A couple of Brady's passes to moss were bad throws so you can't place the blame entirely on him. And Tom was trying to pass to him in tight coverage which is always dangerous.

Yesterday's game in my opinion was Huge, becuase it had the potential to put a division rival in a tail spin, instead we emboldened them.

Moss is a great asset, no hate from me, but Brady did focus too much on him, and he can't throw to Moss when he's covered, that means bad decisions, and predictable outcomes.

Now I didn't study the game film religiously or anything, but from what I saw it looked like Moss wasn't the weakest link. He had one of the greatest catches I've ever seen. It seemed more like Brady consistently threw that ball just out of his reach.

Was yesterday a big game in your opinion? If so, Moss accounted for 50% of the points the Pats scored on offense including a spectacular 1 handed grab where he indeed came up big.

I can think of a slew of other Pats offensive players who deserve to be chastised much more than Moss.

It isn't Moss hate, though.

Moss made a terrific one handed grab but bobbled and dropped a TD. Then across the middle the ball went right through his hands.

Yesterday's game in my opinion was Huge, becuase it had the potential to put a division rival in a tail spin, instead we emboldened them.

Moss is a great asset, no hate from me, but Brady did focus too much on him, and he can't throw to Moss when he's covered, that means bad decisions, and predictable outcomes.

Last year's week 2 game was probably "HUGE" to you too, of course in the end it really wasn't.

Last year's week 2 game was probably "HUGE" to you too, of course in the end it really wasn't.

Your right, purely wins and losses, it doesn't matter... but there are major other victories, and losses... like taking the presure off of the Jets... after their off season, to start 0-2 would have put all the media on them and I believe made the Pats road to the playoffs easier.

now were in a straight up dog fight the whole way.

Maybe in some past games, but yesterday is clearly not one of them. 98.9% of the blame should be shared by BB for not making adjustments on O and D in the second half and Brady for making uncharacteristically poor decisions with the football.

Last edited:
Maybe in some past games, but yesterday is clearly not one of them. 98.9% of the blame should be shared by BB for not making adjustments on O and D in the second half and Brady for making uncharacteristically poor decisions with the football.

Without the coaching tape I'd say it's hard for any of us to judge who is most to blame. But I guess it goes with the territory, too much credit too much blame.

I don't hate Moss, I just don't think he deserves the praise he gets. He will not go across the middle, he doesn't really catch the long ball all that well, he has a 6 inch vertical leap, which is what caused the interception against the sideline yesterday.

So Randy is going to want 3 years at $4 mil a year with a $8 m signing bonus from the Pats. Is Randy worth $20M given his reluctance to go across the middle, and he really hasn't made a difference in consecutive games since 2007.

It was an observation, Randy saves his best games for the ones that don't have any importance attached to them.

This Moss love-a-thon is hilarious. Zero catches in the 2nd half with no Revis to deal with. Moss coming up tiny in a big spot. What a shock. Not!!
Worse thing that ever happened to this QB was 2007.
He now thinks he's John cannon arm Elway.
Not!!

This Moss love-a-thon is hilarious. Zero catches in the 2nd half with no Revis to deal with. Moss coming up tiny in a big spot. What a shock. Not!!
Worse thing that ever happened to this QB was 2007.
He now thinks he's John cannon arm Elway.
Not!!

Even though Cromartie has a .10 cent head and an inconsistent track record, he is still a freak athletically and is bound to have a good game once in a while. IMHO the Brady should've spread the wealth better or keyed on a receiver who was making plays in Hernandez.

Even though Cromartie has a .10 cent head and an inconsistent track record, he is still a freak athletically and is bound to have a good game once in a while. IMHO the Brady should've spread the wealth better or keyed on a receiver who was making plays in Hernandez.

Couldn't agree more. Problem is since 2007 Brady thinks he's Elway and looks for the deep ball far too much. He doesn't have the arm or the accuracy and the guy he's throwing to deep will never outfight a DB for the ball.
Circus miracle catches are fun but you don't win games and close out teams with those plays
2007 changed Tom Brady and not for the better.
He thinks he's somebody he's not.

It wasn't Moss' best game by any stretch, but Brady didn't play any better. I don't see Moss demanding the ball or pouting, but Brady looked at him in a few situations where he could've looked elsewhere.

That said, Moss made a weak effort on a slant - and he's done that a few times already this year. We need him to catch those ones.

Last edited:
I don't hate Moss, I just don't think he deserves the praise he gets. He will not go across the middle, he doesn't really catch the long ball all that well, he has a 6 inch vertical leap, which is what caused the interception against the sideline yesterday.

Randy Moss doesn't catch the ball well. Randy Moss has a 6 inch vertical jump.

Your trolling, right? Ask anyone who's seen Moss in a training camp how good his hands are.

If your going to criticize Moss, do it on parts off his game that you can take shots at, like him not wanting to go over the middle. Don't just make **** up. Because saying the most physically gifted WR of all time has a 6 inch vert is one of the most stupid things I've ever seen posted on any message board.

So Randy is going to want 3 years at $4 mil a year with a $8 m signing bonus from the Pats. Is Randy worth $20M given his reluctance to go across the middle, and he really hasn't made a difference in consecutive games since 2007.

It was an observation, Randy saves his best games for the ones that don't have any importance attached to them.

are u kidding? for that contract of COURSE u keep moss

u give that contract for a #2 wr easily, especially if that guy is moss

I like Moss but this team DOES NOT need Moss to re-sign next season

The Brady we all used to know and love was the QB that always threw the ball to the open man,now he almost always zeroes in one one guy on 3rd and long and teams are not dumb enough to get fooled and let him go free,ATTENTION BELICHICK: Those plays from 2007 don't work anymore!!

Brady was doing just that last night until he started again with the flaccid bombs to Moss who was triple covered at times.

Moss has been more of a decoy than a factor in games since 2007 and it won't get better as he ages

Its safe to say Moss's best days are far behind him - sure he will make a great catch in a game or two like last nights amazing catch but its too far and too rare anymore to see it make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back