PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss' legacy when compared to Jerry Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzibit23

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
We all know Rice has always been he unquestioned GOAT WR, the debate has always beenno about #2. It wasn't just because of his career numbers, Rice was also considered the GOAT because in any given season, he was the best WR we saw. That got me thinking about Randy Moss, and how he will be remembered if he stays in NE for the next 4-5 years, is healthy and wins, lets say, 2 SBs. I personally dont see him passing Rice's all time numbers, its not impossible, but its close. Rice has those numbers because he played healthy from ages 35-40, and played at a good rate, thats basically unheard as a WR.

I think when Moss' playing days are over, presuming he stays in NE...he has the potential to at least fuel a worthy debate on whether Rice is the GOAT WR. Its possible that Moss' would've had more GREAT seasons than Rice, considering he already has 2 17 TD seasons, and several other great ones in MN. It can be argued, that Moss at peak value is/was better than Rice...it can be argued. So I feel he could be remembered as the first guy you could say "At their best, I would take him over Rice for this season." Up until now, for one season or over a career, Rice's status as the GOAT has been unquestioned and so obvious that asking it would not even generate a serious response.

Last edited:
I don't really care about compiled numbers. All I know is I would take Moss in his prime over any other WR in NFL history. Moss was one of my favorite players long before he became a Patriot. Defenses tremble because of Randy Moss.

Doesn't matter to me. I would pay more money to see Randy Moss than any other receiver in NFL history. The guys is a highlight reel and may be super human.

If the senario you present is the case Randy will be remembered as one of the greatest. Possible #1 or #2. But Oakland will kill him forever. People won't forget it. And these people who hold it against him will always have him at #2 or lower even if he did pass Jerry in stats.

Jerry Rice had the beneft of playing with the greatest NFL quarterback of all time, whereas Moss is stuck with Tom Brady. :rolleyes:

Jerry Rice had the beneft of playing with the greatest NFL quarterback of all time, whereas Moss is stuck with Tom Brady. :rolleyes:

Yeah that is really KILLING his stats this year! :p

I hope Moss does stay at least 4 years, and remains healthy.
If he can do that, then there may be a debate at the end of his career.

Rice is definitely the greatest WR ever. IMO, there's nothing Moss can do for the rest of career to change that, (outside of 5 consecutive 20+ TD seasons). Rice is also the most complete WR ever. He could do about everything great. I can't think about any weakness.

With that said, I am a Moss fan, and would pay more money to watch Moss than Rice, simply b/c he's more of a "freak."

In any given situation:
90% of the time, i'll take Rice.
10% i'll take Moss. This is because when Moss has a chip on his shoulder, no one's better.

Well Jerry Rice is great because at the time, he was considered very large for a receiver and athletic enough to jump over cornerbacks and make the play. So Rice is great at two things, route running and athleticism. Combining those two attributes with a long and productive career is why he is both considered the greatest and has stats that are out of reach for most.

Today, we have Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. At the end of his career Harrison will have surpassed Cris Carter and should be #2 in everything. Moss has a good chance at the end of his career to surpass Harrison in receiving TDs.

I think Harrison is possibly a better route runner than Rice. Moss is certainly more athletic and a better deep threat than Rice. So we have two guys that are in their specialty better than Jerry Rice but Rice was the complete package with the long career.

That all being said, I think Moss is the most dangerous and game-changing receiver ever to play in the NFL. I don't know that even in his prime that Rice would cause a defense to devote 3 guys to cover him. Moss improves an entire offense by letting them play 10 on 9 or 10 on 8. So I would take Moss on my team as well, but I don't think Rice can be unseated.

And then old-timers will always bring up Don Hutson who had modern receiver stats in an era where they didn't throw the ball downfield and who had records that stood for 40 years. Some would say that Hutson is even better than Rice, but it's hard to say since Hutson played in the 30's.

Well Jerry Rice is great because at the time, he was considered very large for a receiver and athletic enough to jump over cornerbacks and make the play. So Rice is great at two things, route running and athleticism. Combining those two attributes with a long and productive career is why he is both considered the greatest and has stats that are out of reach for most.

Today, we have Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. At the end of his career Harrison will have surpassed Cris Carter and should be #2 in everything. Moss has a good chance at the end of his career to surpass Harrison in receiving TDs.

I think Harrison is possibly a better route runner than Rice. Moss is certainly more athletic and a better deep threat than Rice. So we have two guys that are in their specialty better than Jerry Rice but Rice was the complete package with the long career.

That all being said, I think Moss is the most dangerous and game-changing receiver ever to play in the NFL. I don't know that even in his prime that Rice would cause a defense to devote 3 guys to cover him. Moss improves an entire offense by letting them play 10 on 9 or 10 on 8. So I would take Moss on my team as well, but I don't think Rice can be unseated.

And then old-timers will always bring up Don Hutson who had modern receiver stats in an era where they didn't throw the ball downfield and who had records that stood for 40 years. Some would say that Hutson is even better than Rice, but it's hard to say since Hutson played in the 30's.
Anyone who was fortunate enough to see Raymond Berry play know he was one hell of a WR as well

For most of Moss's career, he was kind of a one trick pony. That one trick was devastating, but Rice also was tremendous in the air and on deep balls. But how many 5-yard slants did Rice take to the house? It seemed like every week. Short routes, medium routes, deep routes, over the middle, on the sidelines, Rice was unstoppable. Couple that with his quiet demeanor and legendary work ethic, and I think he is a worthy GOAT. Does Moss have more talent - probably, but I still think he's the second best receiver I've ever seen.

You can't compare Moss to Rice. I know you prefaced it by saying let's see what happens if he stays in NE for a few more years. But, still. Not even close. Moss pissed away more season than Rice pissed away games. Total professional vs immature modern athlete. He're a comparision in another sport.
That would be like saying Kobe is better than MJ. MJ did it his whole career. Well, at least until he came out of retirement to join washington. Kobe was his equal physically. But, nowhere near the drive/maturity of MJ. My .02

Anyone who was fortunate enough to see Raymond Berry play know he was one hell of a WR as well

I was a big fan of Art Monk and Steve Largent as well. Not saying they belong in the discussion of GOAT, but those two definitely earned my respect.

You can compare a guy like Marvin Harrison to Jerry Rice. You can't compare anybody to Randy Moss, he is a unique talent like we've never seen before.

Vataha18
This message is hidden because Vataha18 is on your ignore list.

dunnoef9.gif

That all being said, I think Moss is the most dangerous and game-changing receiver ever to play in the NFL.

Ever hear of Bob Hayes? The zone defense was created because of him. I don't think Moss changed anything about the game.

Ever hear of Bob Hayes? The zone defense was created because of him. I don't think Moss changed anything about the game.

If you put Moss into Bob Hayes' era it would be an absolute massacre. They would think Moss was super human. There's not much left to be invented. Well unless you count regularly triple teaming a WR an invention.

Last edited:
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

A guy who quit on two teams is being compared favorably to Jerry Rice!!!

A guy who never ran a slant or a crisp route in Minnesota or Oakland? Never blocked, took plays off? Walked off the field before the game was over? Second best receiver all time?

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

What's he gonna play for free next year? I forgot all the Patriots play for free.

That's worse than Torre defending Clemens for throwing inside.

Walked off the field with 2 seconds left? This year Vince Young the freakin' QUARTERBACK walked off the field with 1 minute left. The media was looking for something that year, I can tell you that 2 weeks before that incident, the camera caught Moss walking into the locker room with a minute and half left in the game slowly with a grimace on his face. Immediately the mediots start speculating on what Moss' facial expression meant. After the game, Coach Tice tells the press that Moss had hurt his hamstring and was sent to the locker room to get treatment.

As for quitting on the Raiders, Moss got over 1000 yards in an injury filled season. The 2nd season, who actually played on that team? Jerry Porter? Did Jerry Porter quit? Did Aaron Brooks quit on that team? How about Warren Sapp, how was his year? Did Art Shell quit on the Raiders? Why does Moss have to take the blame for a crappy team with a crappy coach?

wow -only two people to reply to this nonsense actually get it.

Moss is an incredible athletic talent. nothing more. He has no heart and never has. Why do you think the Pats got him for a 4th rd pick? Is there *any* other team in the league where he would be a success after his two years in Oakland? Seriously.

Rice was the consummate professional, the epitomy of class ( Seattle notwithstanding) , and without doubt the best reciever of all time - FOR HIS WORK ETHIC ALONE. Moss doesn't make the top five.

Jerry Rice is out of Moss' league, Moss is great at the jump ball and he can shred any db that I can think of and can regularly beat double coverage, having said that, look at jerry rice. He kept himself in perfect physical condition, he had awesome hands and could make spectacular one handed catches, but one of the reasons that he was so great was that he could alos get alot after the catch. I havent seen a reciever that stacks up to Rice, Harrison is a similar type of player, but imo he doesn't compare either.

wow -only two people to reply to this nonsense actually get it.

Moss is an incredible athletic talent. nothing more. He has no heart and never has. Why do you think the Pats got him for a 4th rd pick? Is there *any* other team in the league where he would be a success after his two years in Oakland? Seriously.

Rice was the consummate professional, the epitomy of class ( Seattle notwithstanding) , and without doubt the best reciever of all time - FOR HIS WORK ETHIC ALONE. Moss doesn't make the top five.

How do you know Randy Moss has no heart? Do you know the man? And who off the current Raiders team can *ANYONE* imagine being a success somewhere else? Some teams like the Patriots, elevate the play of everyone on the team. Other teams drag all their players down. Look at this year's Bengals or the Chargers. Potential Hall of Fame guys on those teams...and look at their performance...do they have no heart either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back