PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss in '10 without an extension: Something to prove or fragile psyche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Moss in '10 without an extension:Something to prove or Fragile psyche?

Our lines lost the game. Our lines need to be the focus of acquisitions for 2010.

No actually I don't blame Moss for the loss in general although Stevie Wonder could see Moss was in light stride throughout the game and was not double teamed because the Ravens were not worried about him making the difference,The loss was the result of the front 7 being more than dominated,they were annihilated
The fact that Flacco only threw for 34 yards and they still WON the game is one of the biggest embarrassments I have seen in a long time for the Pats,you would have to go back 10 years to see stuff like that display,if you can't stop the run then you have no business winning the game.

The Patriots front 7 absolutely layed down and never got back up once the game started,Wilfork said it himself,it was men against boys last sunday.

Our lines lost the game. Our lines need to be the focus of acquisitions for 2010.

There were plenty of plays in the Ravens game that Brady had ALL day to throw the ball and couldnt find someone to throw the ball to. This is because he didnt have anyone to throw to...lack of a 3rd WR. Our OL had a pretty good year, with all the injuries and all.

I agree that OL had a good year. I agree that we need a #2 and #4 speed wideout.

I also think that the Brady got killed in the ravens game because linemen didn't protect well enough.

I think that our top priorities are OG, NT, OG, DE, WR, and DE/OLB. Of course, Mankins and Wilfork are expected to fill the first two needs. Neal and Green will need to be replaced.

There were plenty of plays in the Ravens game that Brady had ALL day to throw the ball and couldnt find someone to throw the ball to. This is because he didnt have anyone to throw to...lack of a 3rd WR. Our OL had a pretty good year, with all the injuries and all.

I agree that OL had a good year. I agree that we need a #2 and #4 speed wideout.

I also think that the Brady got killed in the ravens game because linemen didn't protect well enough.

I think that our top priorities are OG, NT, OG, DE, WR, and DE/OLB. Of course, Mankins and Wilfork are expected to fill the first two needs. Neal and Green will need to be replaced.

Yeah there were plays in the Ravens game that the OL struggle its hard to deny that, but like you said as a whole the OL had a good year.

Our top priorities have to be a DE/OLB pass rusher, and a WR. Then we can worry about our other needs like a OG

I'm sure Connolly appreciates the vote of confidence.

Yeah there were plays in the Ravens game that the OL struggle its hard to deny that, but like you said as a whole the OL had a good year.

Our top priorities have to be a DE/OLB pass rusher, and a WR. Then we can worry about our other needs like a OG

No actually I don't blame Moss for the loss in general although Stevie Wonder could see Moss was in light stride throughout the game and was not double teamed because the Ravens were not worried about him making the difference,The loss was the result of the front 7 being more than dominated,they were annihilated
The fact that Flacco only threw for 34 yards and they still WON the game is one of the biggest embarrassments I have seen in a long time for the Pats,you would have to go back 10 years to see stuff like that display,if you can't stop the run then you have no business winning the game.

The Patriots front 7 absolutely layed down and never got back up once the game started,Wilfork said it himself,it was men against boys last sunday.

To get back to the main topic,no Moss was not the MAIN reason they lost but certainly did not help them stay competitive last week,could not get open nor make any big catches. - Moss has NEVER played a big role in any playoff game in a Pats uniform to date so I was not surprised it didn't change.

Liked I said before Moss is an asset in the regular season to create some bad matchups and can help you win games but if you want to go to the playoffs and win a championship I would not trust Moss as much as I could throw him to produce when its do or die time.

Reminds of the last O line performance in the Post season. Remember it?

I think Brady was on the run more than the receivers were

I'm sure Connolly appreciates the vote of confidence.

You said the same thing I did. I dont know where that came from.

I would think his last game as a pro will be in a Patriots uniform because when he hits 35 he will go via guys like Marvin Harrison who get slow and fragile and by then AT 35, I doubt if he is even a good 2nd depth WR

Randy has been slowing down as nature is taking hold,we can all see that coming - I think his elite days are over even at only 33,I would be surprised to see big numbers from him next season.

You always knock Moss. If his "elite" days were over, he wouldn't draw double and triple coverage almost every play. The DBs all say he's still got it. Yes, Revis shut him down for the most part, but it wasn't easy and Revis is now the best in the league. And truthfully, as Moss does slow down some, he's still better than most of the WRs in the league. I never hear you mention the over-throws and misses by Brady this year. Moss could have easily had 15-17 TDs this year. But I guess that's still not good enough for you.

Reminds of the last O line performance in the Post season. Remember it?

I think Brady was on the run more than the receivers were

Agreed.....If any team copied what the Giants did in February of 2008 it was the Ravens last week - except Eli had more of a role than Flacco did.

You always knock Moss. If his "elite" days were over, he wouldn't draw double and triple coverage almost every play. The DBs all say he's still got it. Yes, Revis shut him down for the most part, but it wasn't easy and Revis is now the best in the league. And truthfully, as Moss does slow down some, he's still better than most of the WRs in the league. I never hear you mention the over-throws and misses by Brady this year. Moss could have easily had 15-17 TDs this year. But I guess that's still not good enough for you.

IMO Moss has dropped or failed to catch more good throws than failing to perform because of bad Brady throws.

While Brady was far off his targets at times,there were more than enough times Moss failed on catchable balls when he could have been a difference in games this year...The Carolina game is one of them that stands out

How many times has Moss tried to make the big leap over defenders a 1/2 foot shorter than him these days?,not as many as he once used to...its not 2007 anymore.

When Moss wants to WIN and play HARD he is on top of the NFL WR list,no doubt...Sad thing is ,is that its a RARE time anymore - Moss at 32 years old STILL has what it takes to be the best,but to me its more $$$$ to him in importance than Lombardi trophys.

I will never argue and say that Moss does not have the talent because in terms of talent he is better than any player in the league including guys like Fitzgerald ....To me he simply does not have the desire to try and make the big play when we need him....it does not take a brain surgeon to figure that out if you watch the games in which he plays...

Anyone who says Moss does not take plays off is kidding himself.

Teams don't TRIPLE Moss anyone..they dont have to and should be more concerned when Welker is out there than to do that.

Moss has been a playoff failure as a WR and that is where we needed him - Jerry Rice was always under extreme pressure in playoff games but found ways to make plays because he had hard desire,can't say that about #81 and lately its been him and some more on this team whose desire and heart to be a champion,I really question.

Last edited:

All I know is that i would like some of whatever half of you guys are on. This is Randy Moss folks. I don't think we will see any improvement on his behalf next year, but if Brady has time to sit in the pocket and pick defenses apart, I would not be surprised if he has a better STATISTICAL year. I said it earlier, if you can find a team willing to pay an arm and a leg for the guy, pull the trigger. But I would gamble he stays with the pats in what is looking to be an uncapped year. Thank god teams arent run as fan-vote democracies...

Am I missing something here? I'd put good money down saying there will be no cap this season, in which case it would seem border-line "special" to dump Randy. Trade him if there's an offer out of the Crazy Uncle Al playbook, but I don't see anyone offering up much for a 33 year old wide-out, I don't care what name is on the back of the jersey.

I was kidding.

I hope Randy rests and recuperates so his health is better, and we run a smart offense utilizing all our receivers and running backs and the width of the field, so he doesn't get pounded like a cheap piece of veal on every play.

Funny, I seem to recall stating the lines needed to play well for the Patriots to win. It always starts with these guys for the Patriots. They render the rest of the play for both units useless if they are crap.

Moss is loaded and a very successful businessman.......I doubt at his age, he sweats being in the last year of a deal which was what he was basically in when he got 23 TD's while getting paid 3M

Also remember the likelihood of a 2011 lockout. There's a very good chance that he'll be 35 when his next contract starts, and he's a smart guy. He knows that performing big next year will have a huge amount of say in how much he makes on his last contract.

When Moss wants to WIN and play HARD he is on top of the NFL WR list,no doubt...Sad thing is ,is that its a RARE time anymore - Moss at 32 years old STILL has what it takes to be the best,but to me its more $$$$ to him in importance than Lombardi trophys.

If Moss was all about the money, he never would have come here in the first place. He left a lot of money on the table in oakland, because he wanted to get out of that place. Once again, you're assuming a ton about a player without having any clue one way or the other.

Also remember the likelihood of a 2011 lockout. There's a very good chance that he'll be 35 when his next contract starts, and he's a smart guy. He knows that performing big next year will have a huge amount of say in how much he makes on his last contract.

Honestly, I can't really see Moss getting another contract from us. By the time this one ends, I think we're going to be ready to move on as a team. I wouldn't be suprised if he was ready to move on with life after football either. But, for 2010, there is pretty much a ton of reasons to keep him... current contract included.

Honestly, I can't really see Moss getting another contract from us. By the time this one ends, I think we're going to be ready to move on as a team. I wouldn't be suprised if he was ready to move on with life after football either. But, for 2010, there is pretty much a ton of reasons to keep him... current contract included.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Moss after next season. I cant see any team signing him to a multi year deal. For all we know Moss might want to call it quits after next season. My personal opinion is that he will do whatever it takes to go out as a SB champ, whether thats with the 2010 Pats or any other team/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots