PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss in '10 without an extension: Something to prove or fragile psyche?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What do contract years and WRs have in common? The unexpected. Big stars, big egos, big question marks. Will we see a showcase or a shut down?
BB has to consider the effects of a contract year with Moss. High performance equates to dollars. But if Moss goes into one of his funks midseason, probably after a Revis shutdown, can the team depend on him to battle to the end...will the Oakland Randy emerge...maybe a TO situation.
Personally, I think the guy gets a raw deal. Playing 95% of the snaps, sprinting 20-50 yds every 45 seconds after engaging in hand to hand combat each play. Having Ds focus on you every play...the guy plays under alot of pressure because of who he is and what he has accomplished.
The problem from a team stand point is that he takes his frustration to the bench and players like Brady have to take time out of their game preperation in order to deal with another's psyche. Compound this with his lack of accountability to the media. No big deal really...except for the fact that other players become responsible to be his spokesman. I imagine this gets very old quickly. The guy making $9 mill won't speak for himself. Reminds me of Manny Ramirez...and players eventually tired of his act.
From BB's point of view, he has a guy like Brady that puts all the pressures of the team on his back...the ultimate leadership role. And he has a guy like Moss...talent...but high maintenance. Will BB decide that his QB shouldn't have to "get Randy involved" or he may shut down. So much for the "whoever is open " philosophy.
Back to the topic...contract year, added pressure...can the Patriots depend on this guy for 16 games +... The cap number and actually '10 outlay screams that he will remain a Patriot. But if he is traded or dropped, it will be an indictment of character and mental toughness.

Re: Moss in '10 without an extension:Something to prove or Fragile psyche?

It's a good point, I love contract year players. I'm not being critical because I would be worse but it's just clear that guys playing for contracts generally do better than those who have just signed them. Would it be different for Moss as he's 33 in a month so he'll be 34 heading into FA and he may think he won't cash in BIG again.

Could be be disgruntled and antsy ? Sure. Most likely, though, he'll have a big contract year. Regarding keeping him, there's no way I'd release him. If someone offered a nice second round pick then I would be tempted and at least think about it.

If his contract status impacts his thinking at all, then it's not a good situation. Simply because of those days when he's double-teamed and he becomes a decoy.

He's 33, and Jerry Rice played for 5 more years, so Randy might indeed be thinking that he has a lot more football left in him.

I seriously doubt Randy is playing for 5 more years...No way

I would say 2 more years at best now.. Remember Randy has a lot of stuff going on outside of football like the stock car and fruit drink franchise he owns,he will be busy after he leaves the game which to me will be about 35

I seriously doubt Randy is playing for 5 more years...No way

I would say 2 more years at best now.. Remember Randy has a lot of stuff going on outside of football like the stock car and fruit drink franchise he owns,he will be busy after he leaves the game which to me will be about 35

Yeah I agree that he isnt playing 5 more years. It wouldnt even surprise me if he retires after next season, that is if the Pats win the SB. In 2011 he is going to want to play for a team that has a legitimate chance of winning the SB, it will be really hard for him to walk away without a ring. This could mean that he has a good chance of being a Patriot the remainder of his career.

Yeah I agree that he isnt playing 5 more years. It wouldnt even surprise me if he retires after next season, that is if the Pats win the SB. In 2011 he is going to want to play for a team that has a legitimate chance of winning the SB, it will be really hard for him to walk away without a ring. This could mean that he has a good chance of being a Patriot the remainder of his career.

I would think his last game as a pro will be in a Patriots uniform because when he hits 35 he will go via guys like Marvin Harrison who get slow and fragile and by then AT 35, I doubt if he is even a good 2nd depth WR

Randy has been slowing down as nature is taking hold,we can all see that coming - I think his elite days are over even at only 33,I would be surprised to see big numbers from him next season.

Maybe drafting or otherwise acquiring a stud #1 WR would fire up Moss for the 2010 season?

I would think his last game as a pro will be in a Patriots uniform because when he hits 35 he will go via guys like Marvin Harrison who get slow and fragile and by then AT 35, I doubt if he is even a good 2nd depth WR

Randy has been slowing down as nature is taking hold,we can all see that coming - I think his elite days are over even at only 33,I would be surprised to see big numbers from him next season.

Why wouldnt you expect to see big numbers from him next season?, he was top 10 in all receiving categories this past season. I dont think they will go up any but there certainly wont be a significant drop off

Why won't he be that good next year? He had back problems...backs don't tend to magically get better. I remember a decent amount of people freaking out about the whole ice on the knees thing, which would be another area that is certaintly not going to improve with age. I won't expect a huge drop, but I deffinately will not expect the same level of performance as this year, let alone the prior 2 seasons. Maybe he needs to talk to Mark McGuire about some certain injections he can take to remain superman until he is 40 :p

Why wouldnt you expect to see big numbers from him next season?, he was top 10 in all receiving categories this past season. I dont think they will go up any but there certainly wont be a significant drop off

I actually think they may go up, assuming they get another effective deep threat. Plus he and Brady will have a full healthy training camp to get more in sync.

Why won't he be that good next year? He had back problems...backs don't tend to magically get better. I remember a decent amount of people freaking out about the whole ice on the knees thing, which would be another area that is certaintly not going to improve with age. I won't expect a huge drop, but I deffinately will not expect the same level of performance as this year, let alone the prior 2 seasons. Maybe he needs to talk to Mark McGuire about some certain injections he can take to remain superman until he is 40 :p

I wont be a bit surprised to hear he had 1 or both knees scoped this offseason. There is a reason his knees are aching after each game, whether its cartilage damage or some sort of degenerative joint disease or "runner's knee". Get it taken care of NOW

Bah, he's a useless one-trick pony who refuses to go over the middle for us. Such B.S. especially considering that he ALWAYS went over the middle with the Vikings and the Raiders. Let's cut his ass, absorb the cap hit, and get into 2010 without him. His negative attitude and disappearing act being off the team will actually make the passing game better!

Bah, he's a useless one-trick pony who refuses to go over the middle for us. Such B.S. especially considering that he ALWAYS went over the middle with the Vikings and the Raiders. Let's cut his ass, absorb the cap hit, and get into 2010 without him. His negative attitude and disappearing act being off the team will actually make the passing game better!

Am I missing something here? I'd put good money down saying there will be no cap this season, in which case it would seem border-line "special" to dump Randy. Trade him if there's an offer out of the Crazy Uncle Al playbook, but I don't see anyone offering up much for a 33 year old wide-out, I don't care what name is on the back of the jersey.

I guess this production isn't enough for folks.

2008 69 / 1008 Yards 14.6 Avg 11 TD
2009 83 / 1264 Yards 15.2 Avg 13 TD

And he did this with Brady injured for much of the year and with Aiken on the other side as the other WR option!

Folks should be thanking Moss for a great season. And what if he really is only the 10th best WR in the league? Is that a reason to want to get rid of him?

Last edited:

I guess this production isn't enough for folks.

2008 69 / 1008 Yards 14.6 Avg 11 TD
2009 83 / 1264 Yards 15.2 Avg 13 TD

And he did this with Brady injured for much of the year and with Aiken on the other side as the other WR option!

Folks should be thanking Moss for a great season. And what if he really is only the 10th best WR in the league? Is that a reason to want to get rid of him?

What some of you like yourself should look at is the games where most of those yards came from - scrub teams and most getting draft picks in the top 13

Add Moss's numbers from the Indy,N.O. game among the other good teams we faced and get back to me on how good he was.

Moss DOES NOT show up big in games that possess anything better than a poor secondary,look at his numbers in the Titans fiasco and games against the bottom dwellers,sure they looked great but stats are meaningless to me when you play teams that aren't very good - however in Randy's defense this years team as a whole didn't show up in games vs. good teams,it truly was an embarrasment that we could not put a stamp on a big win this year,not one freaking win against a good team (Ravens maybe but thats it - and we should have lost that game if not for Clayton's messup)...can it get better next season? - We have got to become a team that can beat teams with winning records or we are just kidding ourselves as to the current talent on this roster.

Last edited:

What some of you like yourself should look at is the games where most of those yards came from - scrub teams and most getting draft picks in the top 13

Add Moss's numbers from the Indy,N.O. game among the other good teams we faced and get back to me on how good he was.

This just shows how much of a blind, biased fool you are!

@IND
9 Rec 179 Yards 19.9 Avg 63 2 TD

"good" teams are good for a reason, if "good" teams allowed receivers to go crazy they wouldn't be "good" teams. Are you trully this dense?

Now go find me any WIDE RECEIVER who doesn't have bad games.

The regular season is about getting the bye, winning the division and getting into the playoffs. Wins against teams like New Orleans actually count less than wins against Buffalo.

There are many reasons that we weren't more successful in winning the bye: Brady's injuries, Mayo's injury, poor coaching for three. The performances by Moss are not on my list.

You can choose to believe that the regular season is made up of Super Bowl equivalent BIG games against top teams, and that is what matters FOR YOU. That is not what matters to the coaches, the team or in the end to Super Bowl chances. In fact, that attitude is for losers who have no chance at the playoffs and must have their playoffs during the regular season.
==========================================
Success in the playoffs is another set of issues entirely. If you believe that we could have won against BALT with a better performance by Moss, then that is a valid issue to discuss. However, I strongly disagree. It is extremely difficult to win the game ball as a WR when you quarterback has 2 seconds to throw and your QB gives up the ball four times.

Moss DOES NOT show up big in games that possess anything better than a poor secondary,look at his numbers in the Titans fiasco and games against the bottom dwellers,sure they looked great but stats are meaningless to me when you play teams that aren't very good - however in Randy's defense this years team as a whole didn't show up in games vs. good teams,it truly was an embarrasment that we could not put a stamp on a big win this year,not one freaking win against a good team (Ravens maybe but thats it - and we should have lost that game if not for Clayton's messup)...can it get better next season? - We have got to become a team that can beat teams with winning records or we are just kidding ourselves as to the current talent on this roster.

Success in the playoffs is another set of issues entirely. If you believe that we could have won against BALT with a better performance by Moss, then that is a valid issue to discuss. However, I strongly disagree. It is extremely difficult to win the game ball as a WR when you quarterback has 2 seconds to throw and your QB gives up the ball four times.

Agreed. 100%. when Brady has 2 secs to get the ball off, a deep threat WR becomes useless.

I don't think he plays beyond 2010 and plays out the string for the Patriots. He continues the downward trajectory with production in line with a low end #1 or a high end #2. Not the worst problem in the world.

I don't think his contract status matters at all to him, he is a different cat.

The regular season is about getting the bye, winning the division and getting into the playoffs. Wins against teams like New Orleans actually count less than wins against Buffalo.

There are many reasons that we weren't more successful in winning the bye: Brady's injuries, Mayo's injury, poor coaching for three. The performances by Moss are not on my list.

You can choose to believe that the regular season is made up of Super Bowl equivalent BIG games against top teams, and that is what matters FOR YOU. That is not what matters to the coaches, the team or in the end to Super Bowl chances. In fact, that attitude is for losers who have no chance at the playoffs and must have their playoffs during the regular season.

No actually I don't blame Moss for the loss in general although Stevie Wonder could see Moss was in light stride throughout the game and was not double teamed because the Ravens were not worried about him making the difference,The loss was the result of the front 7 being more than dominated,they were annihilated
The fact that Flacco only threw for 34 yards and they still WON the game is one of the biggest embarrassments I have seen in a long time for the Pats,you would have to go back 10 years to see stuff like that display,if you can't stop the run then you have no business winning the game.

The Patriots front 7 absolutely layed down and never got back up once the game started,Wilfork said it himself,it was men against boys last sunday.

To get back to the main topic,no Moss was not the MAIN reason they lost but certainly did not help them stay competitive last week,could not get open nor make any big catches. - Moss has NEVER played a big role in any playoff game in a Pats uniform to date so I was not surprised it didn't change.

Liked I said before Moss is an asset in the regular season to create some bad matchups and can help you win games but if you want to go to the playoffs and win a championship I would not trust Moss as much as I could throw him to produce when its do or die time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye