PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss: "I don't think they going to extend my contract here"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Moss:"I don't think they going to extend my contract here"

Damage is done, Randy. Saying the team "doesn't pay" is absolutely a knock on them. And, guys, there is no spin on this. These are Randy's exact words... out of his mouth.

Yes, that's exactly right.

It's pissing you off because he just badmouthed the team and then tried to sweep it under the rug as if it was no big deal in the very next sentence. And a lot of people here are falling for it. BradyFTW, you're a smart guy, but there is no sugar coating this. Moss just laid the hammer down on this football team while still on the roster. The reality of the situation is that there is no spin here, as those words actually came out of Moss' mouth when the reality is that he could have just kept his mouth shut about this and waited until his contract expired. Welcome to an offseason of turmoil, guys.

I agree that it was a stupid comment, and I'm pissed that Moss made it, don't get me wrong. That said, there's an absolute ton of spin in that PFT link, and it all, in fact, directly contradicts what Moss said that Florio didn't see fit to reproduce. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Yes, that's exactly right.

I'm glad at least one person in this thread can see the forest for the trees.

There's a difference between spin and speculation. This is, pretty clearly, the latter. Florio is a football journalist. His job entails taking quotes from football players and speculating upon them. Now, if he put words in the quote that Randy didn't say, that would be another thing. That would be libelous and, if that's the case, we should be hearing about it pretty soon. Though I don't particularly like Florio, I can't see him doing that and putting his career on the line just to spite the big, bad Patriots.

Spinning something is not limited to committing libel. When you spin something, it means that you took hard information and portrayed it in a way that doesn't follow from the information itself... like where Florio concludes the article by saying that we should expect the Pats to trade Moss, since he's just going to half-ass 2010 anyways. Florio's entire article is nothing but spin: should have just used the direct link to Gasper's article, which is much more reasonable.

It's been posted already, but here...

"You know the Patriots don't really pay, so when I got my second contract from them that was a blessing in disguise. I understand the business. I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. It's just the way things are in this NFL, so like I said after this year I'll be looking for a new team. I think so. . . .

This is basically saying that the team is cheap, which is the number one driven media knock on them. He should have known better to say this, given what he's getting paid. He essentially just opened up the flood gates and threw his own team under the bus at the same time. Then, he attempted to sweep it under the rug...

"That's not a knock on them. That's just how they run their organization," Moss added. "That's how it is. Put it like this, I guess that before I came there the philosophy was believing in their system. I think that's where they really don't pay guys because they have so much faith in their system. I didn't mean it as a knock against the organization. They just don't pay. If as an individual I'm not really in their future plans I would like to go elsewhere."

Damage is done, Randy. Saying the team "doesn't pay" is absolutely a knock on them. And, guys, there is no spin on this. These are Randy's exact words... out of his mouth.
he never really says he wants off now though it is just how you and others are spinning. What he is saying without spinning is if I am not in their longterm plans than I am gone next year. He seems resorted to one more with us.

I'm glad at least one person in this thread can see the forest for the trees.

Not to get into an agreement-fest with you, but I just do not see how anyone can not see the facts here: Moss made false claims about the Patriots that will do nothing but potentially hurt the team in the FA period. Ignore the Florio crap or don't, but there is no avoiding the crap that came out of Randy's mouth. It's inexcusable.

I agree that it was a stupid comment, and I'm pissed that Moss made it, don't get me wrong. That said, there's an absolute ton of spin in that PFT link, and it all, in fact, directly contradicts what Moss said that Florio didn't see fit to reproduce. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

In every quote you posted, there's only one part that can even remotely be construed as a spin. That is this quote...

Though Moss was still careful to say he plans to play for the Pats in 2010, why would he want to be there if he thinks that he won't be there beyond the coming season?

This is considering the fact that Randy has already said he will play out his contract this season. The Wilfork quote is pure speculation, as is his "lame duck" year quote (which could be taken seriously given his history with the Faiders). However, and I want to make this perfectly clear, it's not Florio's quotes I'm concerned about. It seems that people are just punting to his quotes because they don't have an explanation for what Moss said. What I'm concerned about is Moss' quotes. And that's what the conversation should be about.

he never really says he wants off now though it is just how you and others are spinning. What he is saying without spinning is if I am not in their longterm plans than I am gone next year. He seems resorted to one more with us.

Exactly: he understands that this is his last year here (although his reasons for reaching that conclusion are wrong). He also says in the Gasper article that he wants to stay, FWIW, although Florio didn't see fit to mention that, since it contradicted the spin that he's trying to put on it. Anyways, knowing that it's his last year here, Moss understands that he's playing for a new contract this year, and that it will probably come from another team.

Moss isn't stupid; he knows that he's in a contract year, and he knows that the Pats didn't win SBs by re-upping 33 year-old WRs for $10+ million per. He's attributed this to the Pats' unwillingness to pay out high-dollar contracts, a theory that will be completely blown out of the water if and when Brady gets extended.

That's really all there is to it.

He's saying alot more than that.

I don't care about him saying that 2010 may be his last year with the Pats. It really could be. But why bring up all of the "they don't pay" bullfarts?

He called the team cheap in the last year of his contract. Considering what the media has been saying about us since 2006, that's the biggest slam there possibly is against Kraft, BB, and the Pats. How in the world are you taking this lightly, SBB?

In every quote you posted, there's only one part that can even remotely be construed as a spin. That is this quote...

Though Moss was still careful to say he plans to play for the Pats in 2010, why would he want to be there if he thinks that he won't be there beyond the coming season?

This is considering the fact that Randy has already said he will play out his contract this season. The Wilfork quote is pure speculation, as is his "lame duck" year quote (which could be taken seriously given his history with the Faiders). However, and I want to make this perfectly clear, it's not Florio's quotes I'm concerned about. It seems that people are just punting to his quotes because they don't have an explanation for what Moss said. What I'm concerned about is Moss' quotes. And that's what the conversation should be about.

We must have different definitions of spin, because reckless speculation regarding what a player might have meant when he said something, with no regard for whether or not his statements actually support that theory, is spin in my book.

Not to get into an agreement-fest with you, but I just do not see how anyone can not see the facts here: Moss made false claims about the Patriots that will do nothing but potentially hurt the team in the FA period. Ignore the Florio crap or don't, but there is no avoiding the crap that came out of Randy's mouth. It's inexcusable.
How does it potentially hurt the team in the FA period? Does anyone really think a FA is going to make their decisions based on what Moss said in an interview?

It comes down to how much money we offer free agents, not what Randy Moss says.

Exactly: he understands that this is his last year here (although his reasons for reaching that conclusion are wrong). He also says in the Gasper article that he wants to stay, FWIW, although Florio didn't see fit to mention that, since it contradicted the spin that he's trying to put on it. Anyways, knowing that it's his last year here, Moss understands that he's playing for a new contract this year, and that it will probably come from another team.

Moss isn't stupid; he knows that he's in a contract year, and he knows that the Pats didn't win SBs by re-upping 33 year-old WRs for $10+ million per. He's attributed this to the Pats' unwillingness to pay out high-dollar contracts, a theory that will be completely blown out of the water if and when Brady gets extended.

That's really all there is to it.

Well, the other big part of it is that he shouldn't have made those "they don't pay" comments, as you yourself said that pissed you off.

Moss mailed it in half way through the year anyway. He's not even a number 1 WR anymore and he gets paid what? 9 Million a year. And he has the nerve to say the Pats don't pay. Without the Patriots he is still stuck in Oakland dogging it. I'm all for getting younger at the WR position. Why not trade him?

We must have different definitions of spin, because reckless speculation regarding what a player might have meant when he said something, with no regard for whether or not his statements actually support that theory, is spin in my book.

Fine. We disagree. Let's get down to brass tacks then, and that's the fact that Moss should have never opened his ******* mouth about the Pats being cheap to the media, and to Mike Florio of all people. If Florio spun it (which is your view), then you must at least agree that Moss set Florio and himself up.

How does it potentially hurt the team in the FA period? Does anyone really think a FA is going to make their decisions based on what Moss said in an interview?

It comes down to how much money we offer free agents, not what Randy Moss says.

Because Moss is one of the faces of the franchise and him saying that the team doesn't pay will inevitably scare off players who are thinking not only about current contracts, but about future contracts as well. and in a general sense, how can negative words about the team from the Patriots' second best player not have a negative effect. It's like saying that Brady trying to convince FAs to come by saying good things doesn't have any positive effects.

I have no idea what the tangible effect will be. It was just stupid and unnecessary.

Let's trade Moss to the Ravens for their 1st round pick.

:rolleyes:

Moss mailed it in half way through the year anyway. He's not even a number 1 WR anymore and he gets paid what? 9 Million a year. And he has the nerve to say the Pats don't pay. Without the Patriots he is still stuck in Oakland dogging it. I'm all for getting younger at the WR position. Why not trade him?

As much as I diagree with what he said, we need Moss this year. Without him, we have yet another hole in the roster and are stuck with a hobbled Welker (who will be back in the starting line-up God know's when), a second year quarterback turned WR, a second year WR with knee problems, and a career special teamer with just over 20 catches last year. Not good. Wait till 2011 when A.J. Green and Julio Jones will be available and we'll have the Raiders first round pick.

He called the team cheap in the last year of his contract. Considering what the media has been saying about us since 2006, that's the biggest slam there possibly is against Kraft, BB, and the Pats. How in the world are you taking this lightly, SBB?

because none of that matters. He will be here and he will be playing hard for his next contract. What he said was a little harsh but I dont read it as him trying to blast out just someone who is resorted to one last year with his boy Tom and a place he at one point hoped he would finish at.

Last edited:

I don't think he mailed it in. I think he played hurt and still had a good year. I love having Moss on the Pats. I just wish he would have shut the **** up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back