PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss claims to be better than Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rice played for 21 seasons, Moss for 10 so far. So, in less than half the years, he's gotten more than half the 1000 yard seasons. I don't see how this helps your argument about Rice.

I personally have no dog in this hunt. I also think people like to ignore some of the all-timers in these discussions. Paul Warfield, just as an example, averaged more than 20 yards per catch over a 13 year career.

Hey,

I'm aware of the facts you just stated :) but my point wasn't to help an argument for Rice........it was to lessen the importance of "numbers" and stats when comparing these receivers, or any two players, and put more stock into actual play.

If you paid any attention to my post, you would have read that I am specifically calling those that said Randy Moss is better than Jerry, homers.

Not so ridiculous when you're speaking the truth. I expressed much more than opinion...I also stated fact.

I have made no stupid comments, but have read many stupid comments in this thread alone.

Instead of debating something so trivial, why don't you attack the issue at hand?

1. I'm not debating. That was a very mild warning as a moderator. I thought that would be better than giving you an infraction, but I could have been wrong. Remember this is a Patriots fan board (more advise).

2. As I posted before, this is the 3rd or 4th thread on this very same subject and I have no interest in addressing the "issue".

1. I'm not debating. That was a very mild warning as a moderator. I thought that would be better than giving you an infraction, but I could have been wrong. Remember this is a Patriots fan board (more advise).

2. As I posted before, this is the 3rd or 4th thread on this very same subject and I have no interest in addressing the "issue".

Yikes! calling someone a homer on this board is worthy of an infraction? I call other Niner fans homers all the time on my regular forum. Oh well, different forums, different rules right :D

Anywho, I edited my original statement in case you didn't catch it.

Instead of "homer" I will use "people who think way-too-highly-of-Moss" :p

Bottom line..the debate isnt whether Moss is better than Rice, its about whether Moss is worthy of thinking HE is better. And the answer is hell yes...if it was Freddie Mitchel making ridiculous claims, then trash away. But a great player like Randy Moss has every right to believe he's the greatest, its that ultimate belief in himself that probably made him the HOFer he is.

Also, before we go on claiming Moss is arrogant or anything of that nature, lets not forget the guy on the other side of the argument(Rice) redefined the meaning of the word arrogant. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing btw.

Inflamatory quotes out of context and with no link. Hmmm, where have we seen this before?

It's silly to compare them now, Rice is retired and Moss is still playing. Until Moss retires, you can't compare them as far as who's the best of all time.

Anyway, who cares ............

This is a disrespect thing anyway, first there was Rice's comment about doing it in so many games. Then you have Randy saying breaking Jerry's record wasn't a big deal, shutting up the press was.

As the Stomach Turns ...........

I'm toting a very wiggly six-month-old, so I haven't read this thread thoroughly. If I am repetitious, apologies in advance.

Before I say anything, let me make it clear I LOVE having Moss on this team. I've always wanted him to come here, and would even trade for him every year in Madden.

What Moss brings to the table is like no other receiver I've seen. I don't need to go into the skills, size, speed, etc., it's all been said too many times.

I am impressed with Moss' ability to follow the company line up to this point, but in the back of my mind, I keep wondering what will happen when the team loses a couple in a row (it will happen at some point, hopefully not starting on Sunday).

The 98 Vikes were an absolute offensive powerhouse. They should have won the NFC championship and would have won the SB if they had, IMO. When things were great that year, Randy was a model citizen, and the story that year was about all the foolish teams that passed on him in the draft.

Then came the Jeff George years, and a team that went from great to good and at times mediocre. With that came the infamous stories of the meter maid, the water bottle, the marijuana, taking plays off, etc, etc, etc. This continued into the barren days with the Raiders.

Randy came here to get a ring, and to win. I hope for all our sakes we don't find out what he'll do if the Pats start losing.

I've always thought Randy was a more talented receiver than Rice. When he is focused there's no one better. If Randy had Rice's drive to be the best he could possibly be on every down in every game, I don't think there would be a better player (not just receiver) in the history of the game.

Rice's longevity and the ability to sustain excellence during his entire career has to be considered when comparing the two. Moss still has a chance to take Rice's spot as the best ever, but he still has some work to do, and only time will tell if he has the desire to do it.

That said, in any given game (like this Sunday), I'd take Moss in his prime over Jerry in his prime any day.

Don't worry about this team losing 2 in a row. We have only lost back-to-back games once in the last 5 seasons.

I think Randy did it just to piss Jerry Rice off, who has made some pretty classless remarks about Moss in the past month or two.

I don't give a **** who is actually the best ever, but if Randy believes he is, good for him. That probably has something to do with why he's so great (just like Jerry).

Don't worry about this team losing 2 in a row. We have only lost back-to-back games once in the last 5 seasons.

While I would like to believe it, reality is that it is unlikely the team is going to sustain this level of excellence. This is really for another thread, though.

i have Andre Rison as the top receiver ever with David Boston at a close 2nd.

"Moss is the greatest" seems to be predicated on "if he had played with..."

But he didn't.

We don't know what Moss would have done 10 years ago teamed up with someone of Brady's caliber (since Brady wasn't starting.) Maybe he would have had an early-Moss episode. Maybe when the team wasn't winning, he would have melted down and got himself traded.

Look, I love the Randy Moss we've got now. He's realized at the right time what he needs to do to cement that claim. But I think he was just playing in his quote, narrowing the focus to the TD record. Hell, maybe he believes it.

I'll say 6 more years here gives him a great shot at GOAT. I wouldn't crown his ass just yet though.

PFnV

I bet if Marvin Harison said that, nobody would get on his back.

People would be all over any receiver that claims to be better than Rice. Randy has about 10 more productive years to go and then the discussion can begin.

Rice had 2 HOF Qbs throwing him passes. Moss is better. You need to put history in context.
He's judging Moss on what he did in Oakland, and NOT judging Rice on what HE did in Oakland.

If you cherry-pick what years you are talking about, ignore who team-mates were, etc, and only use the stats you want, then you can make almost anyone better than anyone else.

Using his criteria, Rice is better than Moss. He could also make a case that Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Marino if he uses the right criteria.

It doesn't matter, because Moss is on our team, and Rice isn't.

While I would like to believe it, reality is that it is unlikely the team is going to sustain this level of excellence. This is really for another thread, though.

There's no reason to think that this team can win at least 12 games a year for the next 5 years. Even with a 12-4 season, it's unlikely to lose 2 games in a row.

There's no reason to think that this team can win at least 12 games a year for the next 5 years. Even with a 12-4 season, it's unlikely to lose 2 games in a row.

I agree simply because of the horrible AFC East. That should be 6 wins without an excuse for anything less. Still, you never know with Indy, SD, Pitt, an improving Cleveland team, and a Baltimore team that really had a strange year and should be better.

12 wins is always going to be tough, and there will be concerns in the future with our aging linebackers and such.

Not saying this team won't continue to be great, with Brady and Bcheck they will be. I'm really just saying with all the good teams outside the AFC East, a potentially departing (although I think he'll stay IF they win on Sunday) Randy Moss, Stallworth probably gone (we won't find a better 4th option) Asante probably gone, and all the little things that can go wrong but just didn't this year, a mini losing streak is always possible.

I don't want to dampen the greatness of what's happening right now, and I certainly don't want to hijack the thread (especially as a new member), so I won't clog it up with any more posts on this topic. Another day, another thread.

Comparing Moss to Rice is completely stupid. Moss is omne hell of a reciever, but doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Rice.

Comparing Moss to Rice is completely stupid. Moss is omne hell of a reciever, but doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Rice.

I wonder why someone with the name "Gold Miner 49" would say something like that.

"With the seventh pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select..."

I wonder why someone with the name "Gold Miner 49" would say something like that.

"With the seventh pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select..."

Im sorry but anyone would say Jerry Rice is better than Randy Moss. It is common sense....Moss barely beat Rice's record and Rice did it in 12 games. Plus, the Patriots were trying o hard to break all those those records on there last game, they threw to Moss all day when they should have been resting there players.

Wow. Ok, I was on board with the notion that Randy is not there yet, but this is overstatement in completely the opposite direction.

After 10 years in the league, Rice had 13,275 yards and 131 receiving TDs. AFter 10 years in the league, Moss has 12,193 yards and 124 receiving TDs.

These are pretty close when you consider Rice was 2 years older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back