PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss claims to be better than Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone mentions his long career and his durability over the years. When I think about who is the best WR, I think of the guy who has the bigger impact PER GAME.

Can anyone honestly say they believe Rice is a bigger game changer than Moss? Moss has the biggest impact when he's on the field. It doesn't matter how long he has/will play for.

This has to be the 3rd or 4th thread over the past couple of weeks with the same subject and same tired arguements.

But, you guys seem to enjoy it.

Everyone mentions his long career and his durability over the years. When I think about who is the best WR, I think of the guy who has the bigger impact PER GAME.

Can anyone honestly say they believe Rice is a bigger game changer than Moss? Moss has the biggest impact when he's on the field. It doesn't matter how long he has/will play for.

Exactly, according to the other definition of it Emmit Smith is the greatest RB of all time. Few people actually believe that.

Rice will always be the best. Randy needs to realize that. This is sure to attract some trolls.

Hmmmmmm, Can you post the whole statement. My jury is out till I get all the evidence. I still have love for MOSS though. He has one destinct advantage. He is a NEW ENGLAND PATRIOT. GO PATS!

Are we sure Moss even said this? (Or he wasn't joking about what he did say?) All we have is a blurb from a ESPN blog and it's not even a direct quote.

WOW!!!

Patriots fans are a bunch of homers!!!

I found this site on google (I was looking for the comments Randy made about Jerry), and yes I am a life-long Niner fan......but do you know how ridiculous all of you sound (the ones saying he's better than Jerry)?

C'mon now! this is hilarious....

At least the Montana and Brady debates have some merit to them (let's not go there though).....but Moss vs. Rice? Rice is so incredibly far ahead of whoever is in 2nd place. This is a fact. Football fans, not just Niner fans, agree.

I have seen Randy play more than most of you---I am from the Bay Area and we not only get Niner football here, but a very heavy, heavy dose of Raider football. So yes, I am very well acquainted with Randy, not only watching every game of the Patriots this season, but while he was with the Raiders.

Let's talk about the Raiders: Rice was with the Raiders in the decline of his career, and he STILL managed to show the league what an old guy can do. We don't even know how Moss will produce yet in his later years.

Randy is definitely more naturally physically gifted. But there is no other wide receiver close to being Jerry.

When all is said and done, Randy may be the greatest wide receiver ever. But for people to claim he is the greatest wide receiver ever at this point, is ludicrious.

Take it from someone who has seen BOTH Jerry Rice and Randy Moss play every Sunday: Rice is better. I'm betting most of you rarely saw Rice play, as you're on the east coast and don't get Niner games for the most part, and/or are young, and don't remember Rice even playing.

True class, true player, relentless work ethic on and off the field, with multiple Super Bowls to boot.

Rice: 22 TD's in 12 games I believe? Moss, well, you know...

Rice will always be the best. Randy needs to realize that. This is sure to attract some trolls.

Why does Moss need to "realize" that? What's wrong with Moss thinking he's the best ever? He's certainly the most talented WR to ever step on the field.

How many 17+ TD season did Rice have? 2 Randy Moss? 3 already.

Moss has a bigger effect on the defense, whether he catches the ball or not.

How many 23 TD seasons has Rice had? Zero. Moss? 1. :D

Rice: 22 TD's in 12 games I believe? Moss, well, you know...

Let me complete that... Moss 23 TD's in 16 games.

There's no doubt Randy's the more athletic and naturally gifted of the two. And Randy's had a great season this year for the Pats. He's a beast of a receiver. But to say Moss is the greatest of all time at this point is premature.

The comparison about Rice having 2 HOF QB's throwing to him doesn't quite hold up under closer scrutiny. It could be said that Rice made really good QB's look great. After all, Elvis Grbac looked great throwing to Rice. Grbac! He posted the same passer rating and essentially the same per game numbers as Young starting a 1/4 of the games.

Even in Rice's first year with the Raiders, he put up crazy numbers. Gannon was the QB during Rice's Raider years. Coincidentally, before throwing to Rice as part of the Raiders, Gannon's QB rating was pedestrian in Kansas City. After Rice, it was a more respectable 95-100.

Brady was already a HOF caliber QB before Moss came to the Pats this season.

So I don't know... was it the QB that made Rice looked that good or did Rice make very good QB's (Young namely) and mediocre QB's (Gannon) look great?

Tell you what, Randy stays a Patriot, puts up productive numbers for the next 5-6 years and I'll be ready to call him the greatest of all time. Doesn't even have to be a record breaking performance like this year, just consistently in the top 10 of all receivers. He has a really good chance of doing it, but until he does, the jury unfortunately is still out.

How many 23 TD seasons has Rice had? Zero. Moss? 1. :D

Actually if you want to get technical Rice had 23 TD that year. I think Moss was more physically gifted but Rice is the best of all time

Oh you wanna talk stats?

How many 1,000+ yard seasons did Rice have? 14

Moss? 8

I don't put much stock in stats. Yes, they are important--but actual play is obviously more important.

WOW!!!

Patriots fans are a bunch of homers!!!

.but do you know how ridiculous all of you sound (the ones saying he's better than Jerry)?

Do you know how ridiculous you sound coming to a Patriots board and calling us homers?:eek:

After you made that stupid comment you did well expressing your opinion. Just thought I'd point it out.

I sort of have to agree that Randy, while potentially a candidate for best of all time, isn't really in Rice's neighborhood yet. Getting a win in his next game would be a big step.

As for the "homer" accusations, what do people expect on this board? It's a patriots fan message board.

That said, Chris Hanson could probably call himself the greatest punter of all time at media day today and there'd be a vocal contingent here defending the position! :)

Oh you wanna talk stats?

Moss? 8

I don't put much stock in stats. Yes, they are important--but actual play is obviously more important.

RICE HAS PLAYED TWICE AS LONG AS MOSS. Of course he'll have higher raw stats. :bricks:

Look at where their careers were after equal time, then look at the quarterbacks around them, then look at the offensive players, then coaching, then... then you'll realize that it's not outrageous to consider Moss better.

Now if you want to talk about durability and longevity... well, Rice is most definitely better...

Oh you wanna talk stats?

Moss? 8

Rice played for 21 seasons, Moss for 10 so far. So, in less than half the years, he's gotten more than half the 1000 yard seasons. I don't see how this helps your argument about Rice.

I personally have no dog in this hunt. I also think people like to ignore some of the all-timers in these discussions. Paul Warfield, just as an example, averaged more than 20 yards per catch over a 13 year career.

Last edited:
Do you know how ridiculous you sound coming to a Patriots board and calling us homers?:eek:

After you made that stupid comment you did well expressing your opinion. Just thought I'd point it out.

If you paid any attention to my post, you would have read that I am specifically calling those that said Randy Moss is better than Jerry, homers.

Not so ridiculous when you're speaking the truth. I expressed much more than opinion...I also stated fact.

I have made no stupid comments, but have read many stupid comments in this thread alone.

Instead of debating something so trivial, why don't you attack the issue at hand?

EDIT: I misinterpreted your comments........I took you for being sarcastic, many sowwy's

Last edited:
P.S. I'd like to add that I'm not an evil pats hater, I do have a man-crush on Tom Brady :D :D haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back