PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss as a leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This was first brought up by Brady last week and many inside the media and out seemed to question the truth of this comment. BB today was asked the same thing and I think he had a great answer. To paraphrase (PC on patriots.com) he said Moss was a hard worker, smart, on top of everything on and off the field, and doing everything that needs to be done. He said that's what makes a leader. I think that too often we think of leaders as guys who scream and yell and "kick people in the ass" to motivate them. Perhaps the motto about "the past being in the past" with this team isn't a bunch of BS as some would contend and it is all about "what you do now" as people like Bruschi have said. Moss as a leader would seem to have been a joke a few months ago but now....heck in Brady and BB say it is so then that's good enough for me. Add that to what he's done on the field and you can call me convinced.

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but Moss is over the top good.

Love you Moss. May you retire a Pat. Love you, love you, love you.

Brady has never had anyone close to you.

You are over the top good -- great.

Love you.

It is the best fun I have seen in years. Oh my.

One game at a time. So far RM has proven he can run and catch what Brady throws to him then take it into the end zone. That's what the man is paid to do...if real positive qualities surface, and how can they not surface being surrounded by that organization, that will be a real bonus. Let's hope his season warrants a big bucks contract for net year.

Make us believers, Randy...so far so good.:cool:

I got a chuckle from an article posted in this forum earlier today that stated Brady called Moss out about running patterns. It just didn't make sense to me for a few reasons. Brady doesn't exactly strike me as the type of leader who "calls out" veterans. I suspect he talked to Moss with a degree of respect about these issues, but his leadership skills would seriously be in need of questioning had he in fact called out someone who's been in the league so long and who's accomplished so much. One doesn't exactly call out guys like Moss or Dillon. They're not exactly rookies or second year players. So, it's good to read what BB had to say about Moss in this regard, and I suspect we'll keep reading feel good stories and write-ups about Moss in the months to come.

Lastly, while reading the Gale Sayers Hall of Fame post, I went to the HOF site and had a chance to look up a few thing. Randy Moss currently is at recent inductee Michael Irvin's level. Moss mostly likely will not match Irvin in the career yards per reception average, but he'll certainly match if not far surpass Irvin in virtually all the categories. Should he win a SB ring or two, he's a shoe-in for the HOF. I just hope we sign the guy to a two to three year contract next year so that he'll help this team get some more rings en route to the Hall.

I got a chuckle from an article posted in this forum earlier today that stated Brady called Moss out about running patterns. It just didn't make sense to me for a few reasons. Brady doesn't exactly strike me as the type of leader who "calls out" veterans. I suspect he talked to Moss with a degree of respect about these issues, but his leadership skills would seriously be in need of questioning had he in fact called out someone who's been in the league so long and who's accomplished so much. One doesn't exactly call out guys like Moss or Dillon. They're not exactly rookies or second year players. So, it's good to read what BB had to say about Moss in this regard, and I suspect we'll keep reading feel good stories and write-ups about Moss in the months to come.

Lastly, while reading the Gale Sayers Hall of Fame post, I went to the HOF site and had a chance to look up a few thing. Randy Moss currently is at recent inductee Michael Irvin's level. Moss mostly likely will not match Irvin in the career yards per reception average, but he'll certainly match if not far surpass Irvin in virtually all the categories. Should he win a SB ring or two, he's a shoe-in for the HOF. I just hope we sign the guy to a two to three year contract next year so that he'll help this team get some more rings en route to the Hall.
I would bet the house that any time Brady has issues with any of the other guys on that team, he takes them one-on-one for a little face-to-face out of sight and hearing distance of anyone else.

Great leaders don't "call out" any one in front of others, and I would suspect the Brady/Moss relationship isn't one anyone wants to see break down for any reason.

Last edited:
hey what was the name of that WR who left us last year???? uh god I cant remember his name, little guy #83 got a 2nd rd draft pick for him....damn it what the hell was his name??? went to the Seahawks....nuff said

From what I have seen this year I think most have this offense has been following him.....right into the endzone.

I don't know about you, but Moss is over the top good.

Love you Moss. May you retire a Pat. Love you, love you, love you.

Brady has never had anyone close to you.

You are over the top good -- great.

Love you.

It is the best fun I have seen in years. Oh my.

I can't imagine him leaving. He is having a fun time. Judging by what other teams go through, it is not always a fun time. I really think that he will do what ever it takes to stay. I think that he knows that he can make tons of money here. There is enough time left for Brady and Moss to be a household combination.

I just hope we sign the guy to a two to three year contract next year so that he'll help this team get some more rings en route to the Hall.

I hope we sign him for REAL BIG MONEY.
(That means he has been worth it.)

Better than the #32 pick in the draft!

You would think that it was an upside down world where LT was talking smack and Randy Moss was keeping quiet.

But it's not.

If ALL your leaders do no talking and just lead-by-example, you have a void. Example: The Celtics, where Paul Pierce set great examples and left a leadership void anyway.

However, on the Pats, where there are also a number of talkative leaders, additional lead-by-example guys are great.

Basically, what's important about Moss leading by example is that ALL the Pats bigger/better known/higher paid stars live up to what's expected of everybody. (And no, Asante coming late into camp is not an exception.)

Frankly, I don't recall a problem with that since Terry Glenn was cut loose. Law threatened to be a trouble-maker, mildly, but didn't follow through. There's just been amazing consistency of guys behaving the right way.

Actually, there have been more than one player say that Brady will raise his voice. I've also seen him do it on the sideline or a game.

It's a little like people's perception of Larry Bird. Lots of people don't realize he was one of the biggest trash talkers during a game. Bird was a huge trash talker.

Actually, there have been more than one player say that Brady will raise his voice. I've also seen him do it on the sideline or a game.

It's a little like people's perception of Larry Bird. Lots of people don't realize he was one of the biggest trash talkers during a game. Bird was a huge trash talker.
In Webster's Dictionary under 'trash talk'..two words. Larry Bird.

Bird was relentless with trash talking. He never stopped. He must have been brutal in the locker room. Larry expected everyone on the team to put out like he did. John Havlicek was the same way....not very well liked, but well respected...held people accountable for their performances.

Last edited:
In Webster's Dictionary under 'trash talk'..two words. Larry Bird.

He used to tell people with the game on the line, exactly what he was going to do and where he would take the shot from to win the game and would do it. Now that's some serious trash. lol

Last edited:
Moss is Dillon re Duex.............. cept at his skill position, he's gots oodles more talent.

Moss might catch up to 18-20 TD's this year for 1500 yds (if not more). That is quiet strength. He and Brady hit it off already and are gelling. When the players see two master's at their craft together, they elevate themselves.

I'm telling you, Moss may someday be a PITA again, but not this year. I also think that Moss (like most of us headed towards those twilight years) is beginning to think "legacy". I'm not sure any of us realize how the stars have aligned. One of the greatest WR in history, has teamed up with one of the great QB's in history. It will not just be a 1 year thing/

Moss will retire a Patriot and in 10-12 years, will have us all in tears with his speech as his bust is enshrined in Canton.

Whooooa, I'm getting ahead of myself :cool: . Still, nice to think about, huh.

You would think that it was an upside down world where LT was talking smack and Randy Moss was keeping quiet.

But it's not.

I think it has more to do with the coaches.

Norv has no control nuff said.

I think getting Moss in retrospect will have been one of the best decisions the Patriots have made since drafting Brady.

That said...he has played two games, and he has played better than most expected. Keep you fingers crossed the guy stays healthy.

Brady is widely known as one of the best leaders in sports, not just the NFL. Whatever it is he does, he is respected highly by his teammates, coaches and even fellow NFLers (see Jason Taylor).

He just has the 'it' quality for leadership. It is his greatest asset, well over his actually ability to throw a football accurately and under pressure.

I wasn't that worried about Moss coming to the Pats because we didn't need him. If he became a problem then we could cut him and all we lose is a 4th round pick. Now with the way he has played he is suddenly crucial to this offense. I'm sure we could function without him but he makes such a difference in this offense I would hate to go back to how it was last year. Lets hope that Randy is enjoying playing for the Pats as much as we are enjoying watching him perform.

I would bet the house that any time Brady has issues with any of the other guys on that team, he takes them one-on-one for a little face-to-face out of sight and hearing distance of anyone else.

Great leaders don't "call out" any one in front of others, and I would suspect the Brady/Moss relationship isn't one anyone wants to see break down for any reason.

Exactly, and though I'm sure he'll go off on someone in the heat of the battle during a game, he's not going to show up a newly acquired vet during camp or practice when many of the younger players are still star-struck by Moss. That's precisely why I felt the article was far off base to the extent that it made me chuckle in its cluelessness of Brady and his leadership skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back