PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortenson mentions "BB popping loose from New England"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ctpatsfan77 said:
Well, seeing as I doubt he'll get fired anytime soon, the only way he's leaving without somebody coughing up draft picks from here to eternity is if he didn't extend his contract. And I don't think Kraft is that dumb. :)
You can no longer exchange draft picks for coaches. The NFL changed that rule.

That being said, he's signed thru next year, so I don't see him going anywhere this offseason anways.

J D Sal

Belichick will retire as HC of the NEP. He respects history, and he's making it. Breathe.

NEM said:
And, I dont think he cares if he is, or isn't. Thats just my opinion.

I dont think he cares either, I was just responding to someone's comment that Kraft would give any amount to keep him. I highly doubt he wants or cares to be highest paid coach in the league, and he wouldn't even if it was offered because he wouldn't be able to enforce his policy if he did.

My guess is that BB will retire when he feels he no longer has the edge to coach the team anymore. I do feel, though, that he could stay on as a consultant, much the way Ernie Adams is a consultant. I think that BB knows he struck a goldmine here in New England.

The Pats, truly, have the braintrust in place to accomplish things that have not ever been accomplished before. And I mean beyond what they are trying to accomplish this year.

(please note that the vagueness is intentional as I don't wish to jinx the Patriots or BB).

Belichick is not going any place. From all accounts he has a very good working relationship with Kraft and he still remembers from Cleveland what having a bad relationship with an owner can lead too.

Pioli resigning this offseason bodes very well for BB to stay around, they are best friends and work well together. I am sure they talked to each other about how long each other wanted to stay in place before scott signed an extension.

dabruinz, you see into future

DaBruinz said:
My guess is that BB will retire when he feels he no longer has the edge to coach the team anymore. I do feel, though, that he could stay on as a consultant, much the way Ernie Adams is a consultant. I think that BB knows he struck a goldmine here in New England.

The Pats, truly, have the braintrust in place to accomplish things that have not ever been accomplished before. And I mean beyond what they are trying to accomplish this year.

(please note that the vagueness is intentional as I don't wish to jinx the Patriots or BB).
IMHO they have the braintrust and they also have a proven model to follow. it's just that the model had not been applied to football teams before.
that desire to boldly go where no franchise has gone before is a powerful motivator for many folks.
one great challenge in the nfl is to do this again, with a new generation of players. that means doing it again with a new core: no brady, seymour, vinatieri, bruschi, vrabel, mcginest , troy brown (altho troy & billy lee are parcells-era guys), or a number of veteran role players like don davis, larry izzo, O-T-I-S, etc.
past that, BB could be 60 with nothing left to do. IMO kraft wants to get up into the wellington mara-dan rooney-lamar hunt level of "respect". he's gotta stick around for agood 10 more years for that.
BB and others in the brain trust, they're relatively young men. early retirement is not an option for guys iwth their kind of drive. JFK was giving serious thought to buying the boston redsox. clinton doesn't know what to do with himself. somebody suggested belichick going to navy and doing 5-10 years there, which i think would be marvelous.

jczxohn1 said:
Anyone who has started and ran a successful business would find this laughable. You don't just leave and start over unless you are like Parcells.
BB and Parcells aren't running businesses. They are employees.

And it is not laughable for employees to leave to make more money elsewhere. In fact, it is common.

Not saying that BB is leaving, only that if he is making four million a year, and the SEATTLE owner offers him twenty million a year, it is not laughable in a "business" sense for him to make the move.

BB is doing what he was born to do. He would not be happy doing any thing else.

Having said that, everyone gets burned out. If that happens Kraft would be smart to give him a leave of absense. I don't think that BB would stay away from coaching more than a year.

He could mumble his way through speaking engagements for about a year.:singing:

[

The thing is, it was Mortenson, who somehow always seems to know things that no one else knows and usually turns out to be right. If it was someone like Michael Irvin who said it I wouldn't be worried at all.[/QUOTE]

For a bunch of former NFL players at ESPN who cover the NFL, it is shocking at how misinformed they are and when it comes to the Pats, those guys are unbelievably clueless. But Mortenson is one of the better commentators and I find myself agreeing with him sometimes, but not on the issue of Belichick leaving. He knows that with out Tom Brady, he might just be another good coach trying to wina few more than he loses.

I haven't heard this story, but it stands to reason that if his contract is up soon, commentators would speculate on whether or not he will stay. Heck, the speculation started after the first season Gibbs came back and it hasn't stopped yet. People like to talk about these things.

That said, in addition to what was already said in this thread, I think BB learned a great deal from his dad, as we all know. One of those lessons was how his dad knew a good thing when he had it and he stayed in a job and in a location that he fell in love with even though there may have been other opportunities for him out there. Isn't BB always saying this about his dad? I think that's a lesson BB is smart enough to apply to his own situation.

is it too late to mention that we've spent four pages discussing a 'rumor' (and all the possible permutations of it) that started because somebody half-heard something (and started threads on two different Pats boards despite not hearing clearly what was said and in what context)?

Pats67 said:
is it too late to mention that we've spent four pages discussing a 'rumor' (and all the possible permutations of it) that started because somebody half-heard something (and started threads on two different Pats boards despite not hearing clearly what was said and in what context)?

Well yes, it is too late. Look at all the posts. If you would have jumped right on this maybe there would be 1 less post. It's all your fault.

PATSNUTme said:
Well yes, it is too late. Look at all the posts. If you would have jumped right on this maybe there would be 1 less post. It's all your fault.
Then please accept my apologies. I've got to work harder, AND smarter.

During one of the ESPN NFL shows within last two days I heard Mortenson reporting that Texans offered J. Johnson HC and GM positions. He refused, but told Texans owner (his name escapes me now) not to rush because one of the big names, LIKE BB or Mike Holmgrem MIGHT "pop up". it was a pure speculation on Mortenson's part based on JJ suggestion.

but what if BB is offered 10-12M annually for 5-6 years? would he go for it? what if they get # 1 pick? loyalty and principles have price too.

BB might not have to be the highest paid, but he needs to be within range. He'll take the hometown discount for sure.

Consider: he went to Wesleyan because he loved New England. He really wanted to live in this part of the country.

Plus, the prospect of coaching without Brady as your QB is just too scary.

Beyond the money I think a bigger motivational factor for Belichick to leave is his place in history. He is obviously going onto the HOF, so taking another job and failing will not tarnish his legacy. But, only three other coaches have taken multiple teams to the Super Bowl, Shula, Parcells and Vermiel, (am I missing someone?) and no other coach has ever won the Super Bowl with two teams. For someone who is such a student of the history of the game, and wants to make it clear that he is the best ever, whether driven by ego, or in tribute to his father, that would be a pretty good incentive to me. Plus the fact that it would be another "F*** You" to Parcells would be a nice touch.

Last edited:
DrewWho? said:
During one of the ESPN NFL shows within last two days I heard Mortenson reporting that Texans offered J. Johnson HC and GM positions. He refused, but told Texans owner (his name escapes me now) not to rush because one of the big names, LIKE BB or Mike Holmgrem MIGHT "pop up". it was a pure speculation on Mortenson's part based on JJ suggestion.

but what if BB is offered 10-12M annually for 5-6 years? would he go for it? what if they get # 1 pick? loyalty and principles have price too.

Marty Schottenheimer is a distinct possibility. Herm Edwards and Brian Billick could also do it.

Belichick - NO WAY - NO HOW!!!!! That would be like Auerbach leaving the Boston Celtics. Shame on Morty for stirring up those revionist thoughts like that.

I heard that excerpt. He was quoting Jimmy Johnson, who gave McNair or Millen (not sure which) advise on waiting until the end of the season before looking for a new coach. He said to be patient because someone like BB could tire of his situation and be available. The only thing of interest here, is that JJ named BB, who we know has talked to in the off season for drafting tips.

if for some reson BB did not return following 2006, I bet I know who Kraft would make a very very hard push for... I'll give you a hint: He currently makes his living wearing a shamrock on his sweatshirts. Wies Reunited w/ Brady? Hmmm...

Not saying I want BB to leave God forbid but Ol' Chuck would be a logical choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back