PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortenson: Broncos and Buccaneers both offered 1st round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you read my post very well cause you are re-iterating my argument.

People on the board seem to think that Bill blew it because Tampa was willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd. However, that was for Cutler, not Cassel. That deal fell apart because Denver never wanted to part with Cutler in exchange for Cassel.

If Denver really was interested in Cassel, then there is nothing stoping them from trading Cutler for Cassel straight up. If Tampa was ever interested in Cassel (which they weren't, which people seem confused about) then they could still go to Pioli and offer a 1st and a 3rd. In that scenario, Pioli would've essentially traded a second round pick for a first and a third.

Except that the Pats aren't interested in Cutler AND Pioli is not interested in "flipping" Cassel. Two main points that go counter to what you are trying to suggest.
A third team (not the chiefs) had to be involved for that proposed trade to happen because of those facts.

Last edited:
"Mort also suggests that the Pats leaked word of the Broncos’ effort to trade Cutler to the Boston Globe as a way to mess with the Broncos."

typical ESPN.just unecessarily stirring up the pot.why would BB do this ? i just hate these wild speculation just so to look BB as an A-hole. mort couldnt break the original story that the pats traded cassel to KC but can predict everything else the pats did.:mad:

I can't see the Patriots doing this. On the other hand, if I'm Scott Pioli and the Chiefs, I place a call to Cutler's agent Cook a second after I get wind of Denver sniffing around.

I can't see the Patriots doing this. On the other hand, if I'm Scott Pioli and the Chiefs, I place a call to Cutler's agent Cook a second after I get wind of Denver sniffing around.

Why? Pioli wasn't after Cutler, he was after Cassel.

Why? Pioli wasn't after Cutler, he was after Cassel.
Because they're in the same division and it helps the Chiefs to have a QB issue in Denver.

No matter how you slice it, BB got his pocket picked. OK, we move on. But do you think we got the most value available? Me neither.

Agree with you. BB either owed an old friend a debt somehow, or just plain got "robbed". Pioli comes out looking like a genius.....BB has been the laughing stock of ESPN today....and will continue most of this week........But, it is time to move on......Unless there is substantial credibility to this story by Mort and BB turned away from TWO 1st round offers to give a sweetheart deal/giveaway to his old pal Scott......in which I expect Kraft will take this up with BB......

This trade makes NO SENSE to me.....but like you say, time to move on and in BB we trust.......Besides, I am getting a thick skin with my friends who are fans of other teams with all this negative Pats BS.......I am sure you all are too..........

The only way I can see that the Pats kiboshed the #12 overall pick for the 34th is that it came with conditions like a long term deal with Cassel or something else. Pioli was happy to trade for Cassel with only the franchise tag. Maybe Belichick forsaw a long negotiations and didn't want to lose a guaranteed trade for one that could get killed if Cassel and the Broncos couldn't come to terms. Or he didn't want to wait a week for it to happen.

Belichick is not a dumb guy. If there was a much better deal on the table, he would have taken it.

Because they're in the same division and it helps the Chiefs to have a QB issue in Denver.

You mean the info leak of the 3 way trade? Sounds too underhanded and petty to be true. I think that's just another media concoction.

You mean the info leak of the 3 way trade? Sounds too underhanded and petty to be true. I think that's just another media concoction.

Petty? Uh, we're talking the NFL here. Messing up another team's locker room is something that these guys couldn't resist. No love lost between the Chiefs and Broncos.

I can't see the Patriots doing this [Messing with Denver]. On the other hand, if I'm Scott Pioli and the Chiefs, I place a call to Cutler's agent Cook a second after I get wind of Denver sniffing around.

I agree. I think if anyone leaked it would have been Tampa as a PR move to their fans to show that they are "trying" to improve thier QB situation.

Except that the Pats aren't interested in Cutler AND Pioli is not interested in "flipping" Cassel. Two main points that go counter to what you are trying to suggest.
A third team (not the chiefs) had to be involved for that proposed trade to happen because of those facts.

Oh my god. Seriously. I'll do this one last time....

The proposed trade, initiated by Tampa Bay, was that the Bucs would send a 1st and a 3rd to NE. NE would sent Cassel to Denver. Denver would send Cutler to Tampa. (Allegedly the Lions made the same offfer as TB)

However, this trade way never going to happen because Denver was never going to trade Cutler for Cassel. McDaniels denies it vehemently. It also doesn't make sense (Cutler>Cassel). It doesn't add up.

So all the fans who think Bill got scammed, or pulled the trigger too early, or did Scoot a favor; do not know what they are talking about. Bill was never in a position to pull the trigger with that trade. Denver was. It was Denver. They said no. Not Bill. Denver.

Need proof? If Denver was really so hot for Cassel, than what's stopping Denver from - right now - proposing a trade of Cassel for Cutler, straight up. Aside from fans on this board, almost everyone agrees that Cutler has a bigger upside than Cassel. Yet, it won't happen cause Denver was never interested in getting rid of Cutler.

Furthermore, for anyone who mistakenly whines about how Bill pulled the trigger too quickly because Tampa and Detroit were willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd. Well, guess what. Not for Cassel. Only for Cutler. Repeat; not for Cassel. If either of those team were interested in Cassel for a first and a 3rd; then there is nothing stopping them from going to Pioli right now and asking to trade Cassel for a 1st and a 3rd. If you are Pioli that is too good of a trade to just ignore. Essentially, you'd be trading a 2nd round pick for a 1st and a 3rd. You'd still have the #3 pick to spend on a QB. Or you could just stick with Thigpen, who was a decent QB.

In summation; Cassel was never worth a 1st and a 3rd. That deal wasn't going to happen. Not in a million years. It wasn't going to happen cause Denver wasn't ever going to get rid of Cutler - that was just unfounded speculation. If it were true, we'd see Den or Tampa or Det scrambling to still makes a deal with Pioli - considering the fact that they were willing to spend so much more for Cassel. This deal is the result of Tampa and Detroit throwing something out there and seeing if it stuck. Bill didn't blow it, cause it was never a reality in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back