PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen, Schefter: Pioli sends Simms and Rattay back to airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember how all pre-season folks argued that it was not a problem (from their uninformed viewpoint) to bring in a vet, ANY vet to replace Cassel? Apparently, BB disagrees. Cassel was on EEI this morning talking about the complexities of the offense and that his job was to run the playbook as is. not some Matt Cassel special. Thankfully, last Sunday both he and Moss read the DB coverage on the same page and when Moss broke the route and went long, Cassel hit him with the bomb to get us away from the 2 yd line.

Now I'll flip-flop because now that more castoff vets are available I would consider bringing in one to spend some weeks time learning the system just in case somebody smacks Cassel AD style.

Agreed. I dont see why they dont bring in a vet as the back up. Give them a handful of weeks to learn the playbook. what if Cassel goes down?

I assume someone else comes in as a 3rd QB, but there are NO saviors out there. If there IS one, he's on the team already. Heck, the 'savior' may not even be a QB or a single player...

As MoLewisrocks mentioned earlier in this thread, BB spoke today about the idea of bringing in a vet. He said the new QB would need at least three or four weeks to be familiar enough with the system to consider using except in emergency. He mentioned that when he was in Cleveland he brought in Mike Tomczak and had to use him the next game, and they were only able to use about 20% of their plays.

What this tells me is that the concept of bringing in another QB would only be (a) as a backup, and (b) with the idea of not using him till mid-October at earliest. In other words, 2008 is probably going to be live or die with Matt Cassel if BB/SP are (apparently) not actively pursuing free agent QB's. As far as making a trade, I can't imagine another team willingly help out another playoff contender unless they got a ridiculously great offer. That is something I don't see happening since the Pats philosophy is to try to contend every year and see what happens - and not to over spend today at the expense of tomorrow.

Regarding Chris Simms, I live in Tampa and have seen him play - and am not impressed. He tends to lock in on one receiver, which results in interceptions, and his delivery is one that results in way too many tips at the line of scrimmage - which also turn in to interceptions. Seemed like he gets frazzled under pressure and sometimes forces the ball when he would be better off throwing it away or going to his checkdown too.

For what it's worth, here's a list of the best (?) available free agent QB's. As somebody else mentioned, it may be worth bringing a guy in now to learn the system in case he's needed later in the season - but looking at this list makes me wonder if we'd be better off bringing Matt Guiterrez back. In addition, there's also the retired Daunte Culpepper, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Dilfer.

Quinn Gray
Tim Rattay
Jared Lorenzen
Chris Simms
Tim Hasselbeck
Bruce Gradkowski
Craig Nall
Jamie Martin

Here's an interesting name for you all...

Derek Anderson. His 2008 cap hit is $950,000 in a trade.

Looks who's behind him, with a great big contract....

That would be the Patriots' cap hit. You're forgetting the fact that the Browns would then have to eat the $7M they just gave him in signing bonus.

Jamie Martin

I liked what I saw from this kid at the NFL Combine a few years ago. He had good touch on the ball & seemed like a guy that could "manage" a game well.

Here we go for a conspiracy theory.
There is no roster spot, because Brady isnt on IR. We will go with 2 QBs, and add Gutierrez to the ps, and keep Bradys roster spot open for the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Mort:Simms and Rattay sent back

BB is on WEEI right now and says Cassel is the guy. They are not bringing in any other qb's unless it's Gutz because it would take another guy too long to learn the system. So it's Cassel, O'Connel, and maybe Gutz....the end!

http://www.surfmusic.de/radio-station/weei-850-am,6068.html

I'm calling BULLSH!T on BB. They immediately bring in 2 QBs for a workout, but then when they arrive they are told that the situation has changed and they aren't needed. Now BB comes out and says it would take too long for another QB to learn the system. BS! They have someone else and are in the process of working out the deal.

Anyone who believes BB is naive. He's reaching up his sleeve for his ace right now while lamenting his horrible hand. I'm not buying it.

This is the first smile anyone's been able to bring to my face today.

Can't take credit for the idea, but I figured people would like that. Nothing like poking fun at opposing fan idiocy.

Last edited:
Re: Mort:Simms and Rattay sent back

Yup. If Belichick didn't hit the panic button back in 2001, when he was a second-year head coach with a lot more to lose, why would he do it now???

The pros don't work this way - to start calling these guys and say "Come up here so you can see about being our starter" then change their minds while the plane is in the air. (Well, maybe the Raiders or the Bengals do.)

We can't compare 2001 and now. In 2001 Bledsoe's days were already numbered. Brady had already been outplaying him in preseason and practice and it was only a matter of time until he took over....this just gave BB the right opportunity. Cassel was never going to replace Brady!

Here we go for a conspiracy theory.
There is no roster spot, because Brady isnt on IR. We will go with 2 QBs, and add Gutierrez to the ps, and keep Bradys roster spot open for the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the best theory I have heard so far

I think they definately canceled plans to give Cassell a vote of confidence, but wait until he poops his pants and they will definately make a move, just going to be a week or so.

Yeah, but this is like the opposition to drilling or alternative energy development-- "It'll take 10 years for it to benefit anyone!" "Yeah, but you said that 10 years ago! We'd be at the end of the race right now if you'd started 10 years ago."

We need to sign a guy like Culpepper or someone else and have them start getting acclimated. So, they are close to being totally ready when their time comes. You don't wait until Cassel gets hurt and then decide to develop a Plan B. That's horrible management and planning. If you grant that Cassel is a worthwhile backup who can lead this team to the playoffs this season, right now, our situation is that we have to buy into Kevin O'Connell being the next Matt Cassel. Who buys into that? Maybe in a couple of years. Maybe! Not this season. We need to put in a Plan B into place right away.

Having those guys come in and then tell them to get the hell out of Foxboro is a really bad way to handle professionals. Belichick or Pioli has made this organization look like a Mickey Mouse organization with doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes