PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: Rodney Harrison to be suspended 4 games for Human Growth Hormone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release his ass NOW for disgracing the organization.

Chill out people!

Don't overstate misbehavior and don't give up on the season just because Rodney will miss the first four games. I agree with the earlier poster who stated that Rodney can only play 8-10 games anyway given his age and physical style of play.

Rodney will always remain a good example of a hardworking and decent man. We just have to hear the facts out in this case.

Release his ass NOW for disgracing the organization.

Even if they wanted to, and it would be a monumentally dumb move to make, they couldn't do that.

Part of the NFL Substance Abuse program is it protects the player from being punished by the team for being in the program. You can't release the guy because he got caught and is in the drug program. They can try to release him and say it wasn't for the suspension, but it would probably just generate a grievance.

Plus, it would be a stupid move. Rodney will serve his suspension and return to help lead the Pats attempt to win the Super Bowl.

The NFL doesn't suspend players (and announce the suspension) unless they're absolutely sure about it. I'm sure they've already had their own investigation about it. Just because he plays for my favorite team doesn't mean I'm going to hold him to a lower standard. We always laugh at fans of toher teams whose players get suspended and all they do is make excuses about it.

Well, I am going to ask you ONE question. Has Chris Mortenson ever been wrong? The answer is YES.

I am not asking you to hold Pats players to a lesser standard. I am saying you are making yourself look pretty damn foolish by damning Rodney before you have the entire story.

IMO it isn't realistic and maybe even niave to think no Patriots player was ever going to flunk a drug test or be involved somehow at some point. Even one of thier star players. Probably happen again someday. The report at ESPN sounds like there may be some other guys falling soon. I would think they already had the goods that he got the stuff so he just copped to it.
See you in the 5th game Rodney.

Even if they wanted to, and it would be a monumentally dumb move to make, they couldn't do that.

Part of the NFL Substance Abuse program is it protects the player from being punished by the team for being in the program. You can't release the guy because he got caught and is in the drug program. They can try to release him and say it wasn't for the suspension, but it would probably just generate a grievance.

Plus, it would be a stupid move. Rodney will serve his suspension and return to help lead the Pats attempt to win the Super Bowl.

He'll serve his suspension and will hopefully help us to a fourth title. He'll then hang them up. At least, he did right by telling the truth. We all know what happens when you lie to the Commish.

What really stings is that we have had such a good run of Patriot players keeping their noses clean.

He'll serve his suspension and will hopefully help us to a fourth title. He'll then hang them up. At least, he did right by telling the truth. We all know what happens when you lie to the Commish.

What really stings is that we have had such a good run of Patriot players keeping their noses clean.

It is part of doing business in the NFL. It is naive to think the Pats are somehow exempt from this sort of thing. No team is.

According to PFT and Breer, this was a federal investigation into a HGH distribution ring. Rodney actually admitted to using HGH, as there's no testing method available yet. He had a conference with Goodell today and they came to this decision.

IMO it isn't realistic and maybe even niave to think no Patriots player was ever going to flunk a drug test or be involved somehow at some point. Even one of thier star players. Probably happen again someday. The report at ESPN sounds like there may be some other guys falling soon. I would think they already had the goods that he got the stuff so he just copped to it.
See you in the 5th game Rodney.

If that's true, I hope it is a particular runner with the initials LT. The thing we have to wonder is if Rodney was involved, who knows if he might have included some of his teammates.

Well, the ESPN write-up really doesn't tell me much so I'll wait until more details are reported and hear what Rodney has to say in his defense. But if he indeed has admitted to the feds that he's used HGH as the article states, I'm really not sure what there's to say. I just find it somewhat curious and baffling that Rodney was singled out in the leak.

http://www.bobrivers.com/ontheshow/brsnews.asp?dismode=article&artid=6622

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Blood or urine? HGH testing feud simmers

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)- Olympic athletes soon will have their blood tested for human growth hormone, but the NFL and baseball officials instead are embracing the unproven concept of urine testing in their bid to stop use of the performance-enhancing drug.

Critics question whether the pro leagues truly are intent on rooting out HGH, thought to be widely abused because no one currently is testing for it. But baseball and football officials say they are stymied by union contracts that prohibit taking blood from players, and they cite privacy concerns and doubts about the accuracy of blood tests.

The two leagues recently awarded grants worth a combined $1 million to develop a urine test, but even the scientist who received most of the research money concedes an effective urine screen is years away, meaning players can continue using HGH with little fear of getting caught.

"It's a difficult proposition," said Don Catlin, chief of the Olympic Analytical Laboratory at UCLA. "It's going to take a while."

This blood feud over how to root out cheaters has opened a deep schism at the highest levels of amateur and professional sports.

The World Anti-Doping Agency plans to test the blood of elite amateur athletes by the end of this year. The agency's chief, **** Pound, dismissed efforts by the NFL, Major League Baseball and their unions as "a piddling little amount" spent on unproven technology to combat a major problem.

"Our view is that it's out there being used with impunity because of the lack of testing," Pound said.

[snip]

I'm surprised at people's reactions...

Obviously it's very sad that we lose such a great player for a quarter of the season (or is it? less injury risk, fresher for the playoffs...)

I've seen articles where ex-players estimate that 50% (i think someone even said it was 80%) of NFL players use some kind of performance enhancer. It is a serious business, everyone wants an edge. Perhaps moreso, they're afraid of the guy they're competing with having that edge.

What with ex-players saying what they do, and the suspensions that occur every year, how could you not conclude that at any given time there are 10-20 guys on the patriots roster "cheating"?

I personally don't have a problem with it. They knowingly shorten their lives just to play professional football, why can't they make their own decisions regarding things like this too?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2999994
New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison will be suspended by the NFL for four games because he admitted to federal investigators that he obtained Human Growth Hormone, sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Unless this is fabricated, he's admitted it.

Yes, he's admitted to PURCHASING HGH. Its not illegal to PURCHASE HGH. Its only against the NFL rules to USE HGH. So, if Rodney is getting punished for PURCHASING HGH its BS.

Unless something changed, and it might have, HGH is NOT illegal. Its against the NFL rules to use, yes. But its not illegal.

And if it was made Illegal to purchase, then I will stand corrected.

Also, if this happened in the last year, so be it, he deserves what he gets. If it happened 4 or 5 years ago, then its BS that they are suspending him NOW.

We should all look at it this way, he made a mistake just like every other human being on this planet, he deserves his four game suspension but should be welcomed back to the team with open arms his been a great teammate in the locker room and a great player on the field. Whats done is done. Look at it this way: at least we get him back after four games which is a hell of a lot better then placing him on IR.

I am trying to reserve judgment until we hear more, especially from Harrison, who has been a terrific leader.

But can't help but get the sick feeling in the stomach and wonder how severally we - and Rodney, already voted as the league's "dirtiest player" - are going to get ridiculed if this indeed is true. I know how much I detested and mocked Shawne Merriman for resorting to unfair means.

This is certainly a big shocker that has brought down my spirits. Hopefully I get over it by tomorrow.

**** :mad:

Yes, he's admitted to PURCHASING HGH. Its not illegal to PURCHASE HGH. Its only against the NFL rules to USE HGH. So, if Rodney is getting punished for PURCHASING HGH its BS.

Unless something changed, and it might have, HGH is NOT illegal. Its against the NFL rules to use, yes. But its not illegal.

Also, if this happened in the last year, so be it, he deserves what he gets. If it happened 4 or 5 years ago, then its BS that they are suspending him NOW.

It is illegal to obtain HGH without a doctors prescription. If it is prescribed by a doctor as a treatment, that is different, but you can't just buy the stuff.

I am sure this is only the first domino to fall in the NFL. I bet this is from the same ring they busted double digit amounts of professional wrestlers, and I am sure there are other athletes, in all sports, not just football, that might have gotten PED's from this place.

Now, I admit this sucks in so many ways. I wanted Rodney vs SD for sure, but we beat them in the playoffs last year without him, same with the Jets, who we face week one. See you game 5 Rodney, hopefully you come back ready for action.

Rodney's holding a conference call at 9:30, according to Reiss.

I guess we'll have to wait for the official ruling and here what BB has to say. This weekend was already going to be a tough one with all the potential roster moves, plus the entire potential problem surrounding Baugher's release (read PFT article). Kinda feels like one of those college powerhouses who got sanctioned for a recruiting violation. Good thing about the pros, is that it is better the way you end your season than begin it. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots