PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: Ballard in danger of not making the 53

He'll definitely make it as long as his knee holds up, but the concern and popular opinion in the media lately is that he's looked horrible in terms of hobbling and limping.

The fact that he returned to practice today is obviously a step in the right direction, so let's hope that he can go this year without too much setback.

In the meantime, it would appear that all of Fells, Sudfeld, and Hooman are almost locks; at least 2 of the 3 for sure.

Perhaps his knee is still giving him trouble or maybe it's the fact that Sudfeld has been a TC star,but this would be a surprise if he gets the ax.

Jake Ballard - New England Patriots - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Greg Bedard I recall saying from the get that Ballard was brought in to compete for a roster spot. However the legend of Ballard grew substantially beyond what he really is, likely because our last memory was him lighting us up in the 11' regular season game and super bowl, combined with his missing the 2012 season making the heart grow founder. Oh and lets not forget the overwhelming desire to stick it to the Giants.

I do think he makes the cut but he isn't Rob Gronkowski, so those who have that type of expectation will be seriously disappointed.

Opening day TEs could be

UDFA rookie
Fells
OhOh

Well, at least the WR position looks like it will be comprised of glass men and rookies.

:bricks:

Greg Bedard I recall saying from the get that Ballard was brought in to compete for a roster spot. However the legend of Ballard grew substantially beyond what he really is, likely because our last memory was him lighting us up in the 11' regular season game and super bowl, combined with his missing the 2012 season making the heart grow founder. Oh and lets not forget the overwhelming desire to stick it to the Giants.

I do think he makes the cut but he isn't Rob Gronkowski, so those who have that type of expectation will be seriously disappointed.

The legend of Jake Ballard has grown everyday since the AFCCG loss to the Ravens, and was greatly helped by NEPettyOfficer72's insanely optimistic threads stating that he would surely be the next Mark Bavaro/Ben Coates lovechild with even more upside.

By the time the Hernandez situation came, Ballard had already had a bronze bust made for his induction into Canton, Ohio.

The legend of Jake Ballard has grown everyday since the AFCCG loss to the Ravens, and was greatly helped by NEPettyOfficer72's insanely optimistic threads stating that he would surely be the next Mark Bavaro/Ben Coates lovechild with even more upside.
That was your first mistake; reading one of NEPettyOfficer72's uninformed posts.

That was your first mistake; reading one of NEPettyOfficer72's uninformed posts.

Well my comment is really more lighthearted or tongue in cheek as opposed to coming across harsh towards anyone, because that really isn't my style unless provoked.

That said I do think that he's a bit on the insanely optimistic side regarding certain issues, but at the same time I do have some respect for his fandom.

That said I do think that he's a bit on the insanely optimistic side regarding certain issues, but at the same time I do have some respect for his fandom.
Close ..... insane side to be brief.

At least one of the local reporters suggested the same thing, leaving Ballard of an early 53.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was one of Reiss/Yates.

By the time the Hernandez situation came, Ballard had already had a bronze bust made for his induction into Canton, Ohio.
I've already penciled in Zach Sudfield as the next Kellen Winslow Senior thanks to short exposure. Is that how it's done?

For the record, that would be awesome. Imagine if the Patriots hit on Sudfield and Thompkins! I'd want BB to package all of his 2014 picks for the #1, draft Clowney and sign UDFAs.

My biggest nightmare is that we cut a TE who goes on to the Ravens and fills in well enough for Pitta that the Ravens...

Yeah I'm starting to feel like he'll be cut and his career will be finished. Hopefully not but not looking good...

Wouldn't they just put him on the PUP list and that way he has a little bit more time to heal and no one else gets him? Seems like a textbook case for it.

Wouldn't they just put him on the PUP list and that way he has a little bit more time to heal and no one else gets him? Seems like a textbook case for it.

brett-favre-facepalm.jpg

With Fells having a good camp, Hooman taking over the Hernadez role, and Sudfield impressing; there just may not be room for Ballard especially since he still isn't close to 100%. And I expect Gronk to back on the field by early October (even if we isn't ready to go week 1, I don't think they PUP him).

How can something the Patriots cannot possibly do be a text book case? Ballard has already been activated. He cannot be sent to the PUP.

He might be given the in season IR designation, but I doubt that too.

Okay, so a player can only be put on the PUP list if they have NOT practiced at training camp.

The only choice for a player who has practiced even for one day is IR.

It's getting to the point where, as things are shaking out, the only reasons Ballard would stick on this roster would all be negative reasons:

A) They don't expect Gronk back anytime soon and don't view Hooman as a true TE, so they need the extra body at TE.

B) They don't have enough faith in the WR's to use a 3-wide set as the base and thus need to keep more TE's around in general to always have 2 good ones.

C) Injuries to better options.

I had high hopes for Ballard, and still think with time to heal he could be an effective TE. But assuming Gronk is back relatively early, it looks like he might lose out in the numbers game.

Okay, so a player can only be put on the PUP list if they have NOT practiced at training camp.

The only choice for a player who has practiced even for one day is IR.

They have to have been on active PUP to be eligible for reserve PUP. Which means yes, no practice.

Or they can also designate a player who has practiced for in season IR which you can do once. Or as you mentioned regular IR

Of they can be released

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back