PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: Are you kidding me, sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrorocks458

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Apparently, people around the league claim that Manning was heroic in his performance last night.

Should be a training tape for young quarterbacks.

Unreal. At least Young called him out.

Mortensen also said, "on his worst night he got his team in position to compete."

He absolutely did not. His defense did. I'm convinced Mortensen did not watch the game.

No doubt, it was an awful performance, for the most part (particularly the 1st half).

I think what they're referring to is that there are very few QB's who are able to shake off 5 INT's to put together scoring drives & actually put their team in a position to win, on the road, in bad conditions. Brady could; Peyton did. Maybe there are a few others around, but that's a mentally tough thing for a QB to do.

I know it's the m.o. here to not credit anything Manning, but as an outsider, I know what they're talking about.

No doubt, it was an awful performance, for the most part (particularly the 1st half).

I think what they're referring to is that there are very few QB's who are able to shake off 5 INT's to put together scoring drives & actually put their team in a position to win, on the road, in bad conditions. Brady could; Peyton did. Maybe there are a few others around, but that's a mentally tough thing for a QB to do.

I know it's the m.o. here to not credit anything Manning, but as an outsider, I know what they're talking about.

Actually, Manning is the first QB in some time to throw 5+ ints on a primetime game and *not* have his team win. ;)

While I agree that Peyton (not Eli, the reluctant QB) Manning IS a great QB and formidable competitor, those of us who watched the game saw 'Pro-Bowl' Philip Rivers give the Colts the TD in the EZ that brought them within striking distance. Manning was on the bench.

Last edited:
I still don't get how being unable to perform unless everything is just right makes Manning a great QB.

QBs all around the league have to deal with injuries and spotty O-lines, while back-ups need to be able to step in at a moment's notice. If Manning doesn't have a dome, 5 seconds to throw, and pro bowl WRs he's been playing with for years he falls apart.

How is this a testament to him?

It wasn't awful for the most part. It was awful. The Chargers left them in the game....it had nothing to do with the QB on the Colts. Manning lost them the game. Period.

yea..young said something like...throwing 6 ints was heroic?

I still don't get how being unable to perform unless everything is just right makes Manning a great QB.

QBs all around the league have to deal with injuries and spotty O-lines, while back-ups need to be able to step in at a moment's notice. If Manning doesn't have a dome, 5 seconds to throw, and pro bowl WRs he's been playing with for years he falls apart.

How is this a testament to him?

That's an incredible exaggeration. You're using ONE GAME to reach that conclusion?

You guys have to get over your Manning issues.

That's an incredible exaggeration. You're using ONE GAME to reach that conclusion?

We're not bashing Manning. We're bashing anyone who considers his performance last night one that will add to his legacy. Anyone who considers it heroic. Anyone who would use it to inspire other QB's.

The only thing that would help other QB's would be to know that ostensibly elite QB's can have GOD-AWFUL games.

Last edited:
Oh my God Mortensen's manlove for Peyton is really blatant now.

The TD to make it 23-21 was because Philip Rivers FUMBLED in the end zone and the Colts recovered.

Exactly what kind of mental toughness was required for that!?

meanwhile they say little about how rivers kept indy in the game...or if you want how the colts defence did.

I think all we are saying is that when Manning or the Colts have a bad day, It should be noted that they were bad that day and not this, "manning is heroic" or "the Colts really showed heart" crap that they feed us. The Pats do not always get the props they deserve and only this year with them on the verge of a possible historic season are they getting attention and still more than half being negative. If Brady had this kind of day, i do not think he would have been called heroic. If manning stunk, lets just say that he stunk. Also to all the non-Pats fans, please stop with the whole "get over your manning issues" blah blah blah. We have had to hear how Great this guy is for the past forever. We have had to hear how we are not that good, system QB, blah blah blah. This Pats team under BB and Brady and the boys has endured more crap than any 2 NFL teams combined and they still win. Injuries? Don't talk about that crap on this board! No weapons? Don't bring that here. Class? This team does all the right things. please don't hate.

He looked alot like Brady last November.

I'm actually not sure I can recall any 5-6 pick games with Reggie Wayne and another receiver he had YEARS of experience with, where Tom consistently killed our chances to win like Peyton did last night.

Not one.

Nor were any pundits calling him HEROIC for literally being the only reason we were still competitive.

It's simple, ask Tom what his best season was and he'll tell you it was 2006, without question. Ask Peyton and he'll tell you 2004. Major differences between these two guys....but the media still makes them out to be the identical QB.

It's just so funny -- Manning goes out and pulls a Grossman and he's heroic for it.

The actual story of the game is that if the QB position had performed just average instead of crappy for Indy last night they would have won.

If Manning had thrown those first 5 picks out of bounds and his team had punted out of bounds and played field position, they probably would have won. Heck -- even with their crappy special teams they were still basically 7-7 on punts. They had a return on one and they had great field position the other which led to a fumble/TD.

The QB position let the Colts down last night. That's the bottom line. For some remarkable reason, that's the story nobody wants to tell. Heroic? The guy lost the game, along with the idiot kicker.

I'm actually not sure I can recall any 5-6 pick games with Reggie Wayne and another receiver he had YEARS of experience with, where Tom consistently killed our chances to win like Peyton did last night.

Not one.

Nor were any pundits calling him HEROIC for literally being the only reason we were still competitive.

It's simple, ask Tom what his best season was and he'll tell you it was 2006, without question. Ask Peyton and he'll tell you 2004. Major differences between these two guys....but the media still makes them out to be the identical QB.

Tom would say his best season ended without a SB ring? :confused:
I would imagine whe would say 2004.... or maybe sak me again in a few months.

Actually, I think Manning would say 2006 and Brady would say 2001, 2004, and 2005.

Whether that's the answer they'd give you if they were being completely honest, I'm not sure. Brady's team-first stuff does seem a bit more genuine to me, but I'm biased. I haven't really heard him throw his team under the bus like Manning will do from time to time though.

You need to stop making excuses for him.

I think we have more than one game where conditions were less than ideal and Manning has struggled. Beyond last night, there were the two playoff games in Foxboro, for starters, where Peyton was less than stellar and conditions were less than perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back