PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort on Mike and Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metaphors
Just a few things, Goodell could have done differently.

All good and logical points, but if you play out the scenarios they probably weren't options for Goodell:

1.How about punishing the Pats with a fine and loss of third round draft pick which is the standard penalty for rules violations.

In a draft where the Pats had two 1's and two 3's, that wouldn't have been much of a punishment. The cries of cover-up and questioning competitive integrity would have been overwhelming. You may not care, but it is Goodell's job to make sure the image of the league is strong.

BTW, I believe that your scenario is what Belichick considered to be the worst-case scenario if he got punished. He completely underestimated the fallout in the media and that was his real sin. Belichick was punished for the consequences of his actions...not the actions themselves. More on this below.

2.How about saying it was it was a rules violation that other teams had done in the past

He didn't have any evidence to show it. Outside of Jimmy Johnson, I don't recall too many others jumping to Belichick's defense. I agree with your point but if Goodell said that, it would be seen as justification for cheating.

3. How about conducting an investigation of who leaked the tapes to Fox TV.

Goodell tried to investigate the leak but she threatened to invoke her right of first refusal...wink, wink.

4. How about punishing the Jets after they were exposed taping the Pats without permission

Your best point and it gets to the heart of the matter. If the confiscated tape showed the Jets' cheerleaders and various fan shots, the Pats likely would have only been reprimanded and fined...even though the same rule would have be violated. Taping signals brought into question the competitive integrity of the NFL and that is why the punishment was so severe.

For the Jets to be equally punished, you would need a confiscated tape with coaching signals on it. I don't believe the Pats brand image would be enhanced by playing hardball gotcha tactics with the Jets...and that image is important to both Goodell and Kraft.

5.How about closing the case when they realized after investigating Walsh that he was a liar and thief

Yeah, that would work. Walsh says he has damaging evidence and Goodell refuses to let him speak. Can you imagine the consequences of that decision? That would be the single dumbest move possible.

6. How about saying now the case is closednow

I believe the statement will be pretty much the same as the one made after the initial punishment came down. The investigation is complete but reserve the right to reopen should any new evidence arise. Goodell can't possibly say that the case is closed even in the face of evidence of additional violations. Like it or not, Belichick is on double secret probation. Any new issues come up and he will be punished more severely than if the same evidence showed up against another team.

As I said, you make good points. If Goodell were in a position to say FU to the media, he would likely have done exactly what you suggest. However, Goodell is responsible for maintaining a positive image of the league and has to act accordingly.

It's not Goodell who's doing it.

It's ESPN, Easterbrooke, NY papers, Sen. Specter, etc. Address your complaint to them. Since Feb. 2, Goodell has merely been the mule being whipped by those folks.

This was a few pages back but I agree with this satement 100%. I think Goodell is doing the best he can with the situation. I really do not have a problem with anything he has done so far.

I love Michael Wilbon. Tony Kornheiser, not so much. What did he have to say about this entire thing?

He rambled on for 3 1/2 hours about how he loves Tom Brady.

No, wait, that was every MNF I must have been watching. :D

I certainly hope Goodell comes out in defense of the Pats like this, but I'll believe it when I see it. My money is on his mouthpiece issuing a short statement thanking Matt Walsh for coming forward, confirming they learned nothing new, and saying the investigation is closed. He won't say anything remotely supportive of the Pats is my guess.

I agree with you......in fact, I will say that Goodell MUST DO THIS ASAP to put an end to this and prevent further damage and destruction to this franchise.......Enough is enough......I think that Goodell should also refuse any further crap from Sphincter.....In fact, I sincerely question what grounds/right Sphincter has to shove his biased/self serving "authority" into this situation as it is? Goodell should tell him to go f**k off!!!!

I doubt it even though you say 'some'. People outside the NE region have already made up their mind and from what I gather when I talk to non-NE fans, almost all of them have classified us as 'cheaters'.

Unless a special half hour segment is devoted on national TV (yeah right :rolleyes:) that gives a clear insight into what exactly was the situation, how prevelant was the taping, and the exact impact of this rule breaking by us, none of the non-NE fans will change their minds IMO.

And, I don't care!

They all do call us and the Pats.....cheaters.....Even though the true FAN is well educated in the fact that EVERY FREAKIN team in the league......STEALS SIGNALS!!!! This is nothing new....or isolated just to New England.......but they all make us out to be the only ones that have ever done it.....

I have had several good friends of mine that are fans of other teams that have started the "you know I used to really respect New England and Belichick....but after this cheating incident, I don't have any respect for them" and I stop them right there and say "don't give me that sh##....you know all teams do this crap.....don't even go there......" and that stops them in their tracks.....I will also say that their responses like this have definitely changed our friendships..........All I can wish for these guys is for their team to go through something like this.......it is awful....and ridiculous......

Still I think Mort and the rest of Espn, has a agenda against the pats, they would rather talk to and mort's butt buddy parcells...

there is NO QUESTION that Espn has and agenda against the Pats......BB has always given them "nothing".....or an "attitude" in interviews........and they dislike him........If this was the Colts,.......this thing would have been wrapped up in a few days WITH NO freakin fines or punishments.......it would have simply been "the Colts were warned not to have cameras on the sidelines anymore......" end of story......

Tagliabue would have NEVER allowed this kind of travesty to occur.....Goodell collapsed under the pressure of a witch hunt.....

Still ESPN is now and forever network non grata for me and I hope Earth when those idiots realize illegal placement of a camera-gate was a a tempest in a teapot.

I agree.....ESPN is DEAD to me .....with the exception of Colin Cowherd.....I know alot of people in NE don't like the guy much.....but he came out yesterday and admonished the media and fans of other teams saying "get over it.....it is over and done with now.....you all hate the Patriots, Belichick and Scott Pioli because they are the best team in football and the smartest organization there is (not verbatim)"......I was very impressed and agreed with what he had to say on the matter.......

I agree.....ESPN is DEAD to me .....with the exception of Colin Cowherd.....I know alot of people in NE don't like the guy much.....but he came out yesterday and admonished the media and fans of other teams saying "get over it.....it is over and done with now.....you all hate the Patriots, Belichick and Scott Pioli because they are the best team in football and the smartest organization there is (not verbatim)"......I was very impressed and agreed with what he had to say on the matter.......

The only person I listen to on ESPN is Colin Cowherd. He is hysterical when he gets going on one of his tirades. His rant on Roger Clemens was priceless. The fact that he has been pretty supportive of the Pats helps too.

This was a few pages back but I agree with this satement 100%. I think Goodell is doing the best he can with the situation. I really do not have a problem with anything he has done so far.

He could have stonewalled it immediately after the Jests called out the Pats cameraman out during their first game......He could have simply come out and said "There is ABSOLUTELY NO cameras allowed on the field at any time......the Patriots have been warned.....and it will not be tolerated going forward".....F**K.....I should be commissioner.......;)........Again, if Tagliabue had been in "power" still......that is how it would have been handled.......GOD-dell did a HORRIBLE job on this incident.......he knew full well that ALL TEAMS are stealing signals.......but he was a former jest employee and a big time NY fan........and I think also loved being in the spotlight.....and a simple RULE violation......turned into a CHEATING incident...........Pathetic job by GOD-dell.....

In fact, I sincerely question what grounds/right Sphincter has to shove his biased/self serving "authority" into this situation as it is? Goodell should tell him to go f**k off!!!!

He can do that by simply destroying the Walsh tapes and not allowing them to go public. Specter would positively blow his top.

as much as I hate Specter, hes dealing with a reocurance of cancer.

Brian Roberts, CEO of Comast, dude u need to look yourself in the mirror, u r a scumbag.

They all do call us and the Pats.....cheaters.....Even though the true FAN is well educated in the fact that EVERY FREAKIN team in the league......STEALS SIGNALS!!!! This is nothing new....or isolated just to New England.......but they all make us out to be the only ones that have ever done it.....

I have had several good friends of mine that are fans of other teams that have started the "you know I used to really respect New England and Belichick....but after this cheating incident, I don't have any respect for them" and I stop them right there and say "don't give me that sh##....you know all teams do this crap.....don't even go there......" and that stops them in their tracks.....I will also say that their responses like this have definitely changed our friendships..........All I can wish for these guys is for their team to go through something like this.......it is awful....and ridiculous......

Sorry to hear about problems with your buddies. Things have gotten pretty heated with my friends too. One thing I would say though is I never use the
"everybody does it" routine. That is the easiest excuse in the world to knock down. It has been since I first tried it when I was five."Would you jump off a building......"When defending the Pats I focus on the issues. The questions that are out there. When were the tapes used? Halftime? After the game? Since what year was taping not allowed? When was it first reported that BB taped back to 2000? Mort say he reported it in Sept while Fish says in Feb. These guys work for the same company!! I ask my buds "do you know? They don't. What was the exact process to turn raw tape into " knowing exactly what the D is gonna do" . There are so many questions out there it is really unbelievable in this day and age people are so uninformed. Such inept coverage. It's like last year during the NBC Sunday game against SD. Costas and Collinsworth. Collinsworth says ( I'll paraphrase) 'BB knew this was illegal because the league sent a memo last year'. He looks at Costas and the little guy says ' The arrogance of BB....he gets a memo a few days before the opener and then tapes just 55 miles away from the Commisioners office'.Collinsworth looks pained and then cut to commercial. SAY WHAT!!! Half the people today still don't know if that memo was 2006 or 2007.

Even though I know I have planted some doubt in my friends mind they are still usually mumbling "cheaters". Then I hit them with my number one reason this is all about nothing. Prior to 2007 we did not hear about vidoe tapping signs. We hear now that coaches and other GM's knew about this for years. Coaches waved at cameras, some said they took extra precautions when they played the Pats.No one said a word. Maybe they felt like the CEO of the Packers, Bob Harlan. Remember when the Packers caught the Patriots red handed. When asked why he didn't complain to the league he said " That is not the reason they beat our asses that day".Coaches, GM's CEO's and players know it all about the man in front of you.

Why bother getting worked up? Here's what you do:

1.) Hold up 3 fingers from either one of your hands, using the index, middle and 3rd fingers.

2.) Say "3 rings"

3.) Gently curl the index and third finger into your hand, leaving only the middle finger remaining extended.

4.) Smile

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill