PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Goodell orders Patriots to turn over all tape/notes, more penalties possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
WTF...It's Not Going Away...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3022773

If Pats don't comply with Goodell's order, more sanctions likely coming
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Updated: September 16, 2007, 11:11 AM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered the New England Patriots to turn over all videotape, files and notes relating to all their activity that resulted in the disciplinary action of coach Bill Belichick and the franchise, according to sources familiar with the details of Goodell's private communication with the team, ESPN's Chris Mortensen has learned.

If the Patriots are not compliant, the commissioner is prepared to impose even greater sanctions, the sources said.

Goodell alluded to the league's position when he made his decision public to discipline the Patriots when he stated that the NFL would "review" and "monitor" the team's videotaping procedures, effective immediately. Privately, the commissioner was more specific in his demands and expectations with Patriots owner Robert Kraft when the two men spoke Thursday, sources said.

The action is being taken because Belichick all but conceded to the commissioner that his interpretation of the rules allowed him to use videotape of opposing team hand signals for future games but not on game day, sources said. The commissioner rejected that interpretation and was aware that there had been other incidents involving the Patriots in recent years.

If Goodell discovers that Belichick and the team has copied the files without disclosure to the NFL, the consequences with be significant, sources said.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Mortensen: Goodell orders Patriots to turn over all tape

On Sunday NFL countdown, Patriots to handover all videos and notes they have had since 2000 to the NFL...what does this mean???

He says it's not over and the league will keep monitoring the Pats...

WTF?

Last edited:
Re: As per mort

I say it's garbage, he's just saving face. Either way, how is he going to enforce this mandate? Get a warrant? Goodell doesn't have the kind of power that he thinks he does.

Last edited:
Re: WTF.. It's Not Going Away..

Goodell is an idiot. Put a lid on this. Everyone's talking about how their teams or other teams 'cheated'. It's out of control.

I'm afraid this now will go so much worse than we thought it ever could.

All notes and tapes?

Belichick and the secrecy that BB demands will be gone.

All "notes"? This is beyond hideous.

And we all know how Goodell likes to leak info.

Notes????

Why doesn't the NFL just take away our playbooks while there at it. This is just Bull$****

I don't know why Goodell wants to keep this alive. It should start to die down after tonight unless he keeps it alive.

The witch hunt is continuing. I think Mangini stealing a Patriots laptop when he knew he was gonna be Jets coach was more serious.

This is utterly ridiculous...all a team has to do is hire 3 people who have photographic memory and sit them in the first row or just have them scribe all the plays and gestures.

This is so way out of control.

I'm convinced they are just trying to oust BB at this point.

You don't suppose that these have already been destroyed, do ya?

This is getting scary...Let's just sweep this under the rug. :singing:

I hope the Patriots file an injunction against Goodell and the NFL to prevent them for handing anything to them. They have no business asking for this when they are first time offenders. Goodell should realize who helped him become commissioner as well.

You don't suppose that these have already been destroyed, do ya?

My thoughts exactly. Even if they still have them, what's to stop them from merely deleting/destroying them? Goodell is a commissioner of a sports league, not the President of the United States - he has no power to enforce beyond what teams agree to give him, at least in cases like this.

This is getting scary.. Lets just sweep this under the rug:singing:

scary? the boogie man is scary.

we all thought they got their pound of flesh but evidently they want 10 pounds. they should just take it and get it over with.

Doofus Goodell should be booed out of the building if he ever makes an appearance at Gillette. I consider him an enemy on par with Bill Polian. His need to make public disclosures, grandstanding about his "fairness", makes me believe all these paeans of praise from the mediots have gone to his head. Now he believes himself a "King". More of the inbred Hapsburg variety, I imagine. Bye, bye, CBA.

BB would just resign if they target him like this...

IMHO, this is not going away until the league gets what it wants, BB to tell everyone, like when he is going to take a crap, get laid, etc, or until he is out as coach.

I was refraining from calling Goodell any names as I thought he was doing his job, but..

What a freaking idiot. Why don't you ask all teams to hand over all of their documentation too?

maybe BB's statement about 'interpretation' rubbed the commish the wrong way.But iam quite sure thats what BB told him when he talked to him in private.

Re: Breaking News: Goodell orders Patriots to turn over all video tapes

The tapes prove nothing.
It's the idea of "notes" relating to this being handed over that changes everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes