PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBelichickFan79

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I've thrown this out there in a couple of threads after the Choice for Cromartie rumors, but now that it's being reported that he's available, I figured it deserves its own thread.

ESPN - Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

With LaDainian Tomlinson's career in San Diego declared all but over and Darren Sproles facing free agency, the Chargers are exploring possible trade scenarios that include dealing cornerback Antonio Cromartie to acquire a running back, according to league sources.

Cromartie is a four-year starter, a former first-round draft pick and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2007 when he intercepted 10 passes. Sources have said he has fallen out of favor with the Chargers, who also have a pair of corners in Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason that were first-round picks.

The Chargers' most pressing offseason need is in the offensive backfield. Tomlinson declared shortly after the season that he believed his nine-year career with the Chargers is finished. He expects to be released shortly. Sproles is a pending restricted free agent who would be due $7.3 million in 2010 if the Chargers tender him a contract, a 10 percent increase over his 2009 franchise-tag salary of $6.67 million. Sproles has said he intends to test the market but expressed a preference to remain in San Diego.

The Chargers may be willing to trade Cromartie for a draft choice that could give them more flexibility to select at least one running back in this year's draft, sources said.

One possibility is Maroney for Cromartie. Both in the last year of their rookie deals and both could benefit from a change of scenery. Chargers looking for a RB with LT likely gone, and Cromartie could be a replacement for Bodden if someone offers him a lucrative deal in free agency.

I've always been a Maroney supporter, but if we could get Cromartie, who I think would flourish in NE under Belichick, I would pull the trigger. He's a great talent and a great cover corner who can play press coverage. Big at 6'2" but still very fast and quick. Not a great tackler. Had a great 2007, struggled through hip injury in 2008, had a pretty solid bounce back year in 2009. Has been victimized by Charger Nation after the non-tackle of Shonn Greene. Maroney did have great success against them in 07-08 playoffs, just like Cromartie had great success in shutting down Moss and picking off a Brady pass in the end zone in 07-08 playoffs.

Another possibility could be trading a draft pick for him. I was thinking a 3rd rounder, but we traded ours to Oakland. I don't think I'd give up a 2nd rounder for him seeing that he only has one year left on his deal and will likely command a decent amount of cash to be re-signed after 2010.

My thought is to get it done if Cromartie can be had for Maroney. I'm ready to move on from Maroney. To get a RB of Maroney's caliber is much easier than to get a CB of Cromartie's caliber. It's almost similar to the Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis trade. RB's are a dime a dozen. Champ Bailey's don't grow on trees. Cromartie has the ball skills that BB loves in a defensive back (and the ball skills that Wilhite doesn't currently have :p). I think he would flourish on the Pats under BB.

If Bodden is not retained, Cromartie would be a pretty damn good replacement at a great price (due $1.225 million in 2010). It's not a high risk deal, seeing that many have called for a change at RB and Cromartie is only signed for one year. If he comes in and excels, you can extend him. If he performs poorly, you can let him walk. I personally can't see the Pats paying Bodden top dollar, so I would love to see them make a trade like this. Cromartie, Butler, Springs, Wilhite, Wheatley is a pretty solid group IMO.

Your thoughts?

Would the Pats be interested?
Would you be interested?
What would you give up to get him if you are interested?
What are the reasons you aren't interested?
Any other suggested trade offers?

Last edited:
Re: Sources: Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

I was a big Cromartie fan when he was coming out of FSU, however my enthusiasm has dropped significantly. He was an absolute beast in '07, but has fallen off the radar and makes me think that year was an abberation. While he's been a decent corner in most cases, the game against the Jets soldified my opinion of him http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-cromarties-non-tackle-jets-shonn-greene.html

cromartiefb1.jpg

5kkln4.jpg

cromartiefb2.jpg

2gt6wdc.gif

cromartiefb3.jpg

cromartiefb4.jpg

2ngqzbn.gif

cromartiefb5.jpg

BB has resurrected careers, e.g., Dillon, Moss, etc. You can be sure he'll take a look at Cromartie- especially when his main reason for not playing up to par is falling out with the organization. As much as I'd like Maroney for Cromartie straight up, I'm not sure BB wants to trade to an AFC rival that we may see in the playoffs.

L....O.....L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Good stuff Disco!!

Last edited:

Disco, that thing is hilarious.
Where did you get it?

possible competition:

AFC East: Maroney
AFC West: none
AFC North: willie parker
AFC South: steve slaton?

NFC East: Marion Barber, Jacobs
NFC West: none
NFC North: chester taylor
NFC South:none

The Chargers would choose either parker or maroney if offered.

Cromartie had three interceptions and 33 tackles last season for the Chargers, the only team he's played for since being drafted 19th overall in the 2006 draft. Moving elsewhere may also help Cromartie find new friends to have children with as well. He currently has seven spread over five states and has had a number of paternity suits filed against him in recent years.

Chargers CB Cromartie could be traded - Sports Rumors - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Cromartie is proof that great play from your front seven can make an average CB look like a superstar. I thought his 2007 season was way overrated. Yes, he had sexy double digit INTs and made a few amazing grabs, but the front seven even made Peyton Manning make decisions like Jay Cutler during that season. Without the play of the front seven that year, Cromartie would have had a season much like he had this year which probably would have landed him on the bench much sooner.

Mmm.

No thanks.

Disco, that was great stuff. I'm not sure I want him anymore now :eek: :D

Don't know much about Cromartie

If he is actually good I can't see the Chargers taking Maroney for him. I believe they would want another good football player on their team. Not Captain Fumbles at the 1

Disco man how much time did you spend on that lol

cro play was due to the front seven. that year they brought the heat on every one. Manning thew like 5 in the playoff.

As far as dillion and moss go they were tremendous players for more than 1 yr and did not fade due to injury. Not sure what BB can do if the guy in injury prone all the time.

We have a bad front 7 and even then bodden played well , if you put in the 07 sd front seven team i bet he has better stat than cro.

I still think Cro is a good gamble. However, shying away from contact on the run was disappointing....

Straight up for that bag of donuts, Maroney? YES PLEASE! Seriously folks, addition by subtraction....plus, AC is probably better than anyone on the Pats roster with the exception of Bodden...who may not be a Pat for long.

Disco man how much time did you spend on that lol

That was posted on various Chargers Websites within hours of losing to the Jets

he didn't make it

WTF on that non-tackle? That was painful to watch--either a Las Vegas special or he and Greene are like best friends or something. Sure we could find some clips of Maroney that would make Chargers fans cringe, but probably not as bad as that one. :)

Sproles is pretty much just a 3rd down RB and kick returner, but still extremely valuable to SD--he will be there next year. My question is, what other RBs does SD have on their roster? If they don't have anyone else but JAGs with no upside, they obviously have to draft or bring in a stud RB to carry the load.

IMO Maroney wouldn't compliment Sproles well (or vice versa). They need a workhorse with no health concerns. In spite of the fact that he ran over them in the 07 playoffs, something tells me they would want someone better than Maroney, or at least Maroney plus a pick or another player.

id say if we cant sign bodden why not maybe our new DB coach will teach him how to tackle

Glad a lot of you enjoyed that little Cromartie display. :D

And yes, I don't have that much time on my hands, from a Chargers message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes