PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Morris, Bledsoe enter Pats Hall of Fame this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Video: Bledsoe Speaks to Team During Walkthrough Today

That was nice.

Drew was awesome. busted his ass for the pats.

Good video and there is more here he is after the ceremony.
Dancing Herman - YouTube

Drew looks great and seems like he's doing very well.

Patriots Hall of Fame leftovers

Patriots Hall of Fame leftovers - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

There are some great stories in here, including a few pranks on and from Bledsoe, as well as Robert Kraft rooting against the Patriots for one game.

Also, never saw Morris play as it was before I was born, but it's clear how much this means to him, and you can't help but feel happy for him as well. My fav line from him:

"If we had gotten a crowd this size in my day, we'd have played a doubleheader for you."

Congrats to both on a well-deserved honour.

I thought what he said was gracious, humble, and to the point. It was a great message....and one I hope the team got.

Re: Patriots Hall of Fame leftovers

Love the comment from Bledsoe about Brady:

"I really had a horrible backup. ...he didn't understand the backup part."

:D

If only he acted with more class, and more like a man than a bitter school girl when Brady took his job...

I thought what he said was gracious, humble, and to the point. It was a great message....and one I hope the team got.

I especially liked the part where he reminded the players to never forget the Jon Morris' of the NFL, the guys who didn't break the bank, but who built the foundations for what the players have today. You're right, Ken. VERY gracious.

Bledsoe looks great and is obviously living a good and meaningful family life in Washington/Montana. This does not surprise me that he has his priorities in order. Years ago, I read about the tremendous work his dad Mac did speaking and teaching professionally about parenting skills.

It was great to see Jon Morris again also there. He was awesome as Gil's sidekick calling Pats games on the radio for 8-9 years on WBZ in the 1980's - great voice and well spoken!

*****(I must sadly add, however, that Jon made perhaps the WORST NFL career decision of all-time: He was picked by Vince Lombardi as the Packers' 2nd round draft pick in 1963 - - only to choose going to the AFL and the Patriots. Dude took a pass on being on the legendary lines with Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston and Forrest Gregg. He would have starred there. No way he would have been on the bench behind centers Bob Skoronski or Ken Bowman. With HIS talent and THAT legendary line, he would have been an NFL HOF).

Last edited:

If only he acted with more class, and more like a man than a bitter school girl when Brady took his job...

You are not serious.

The way things ended for Drew here was unfortunate, he got injured and his understudy is destined to be the GOAT, a decision had to be made and Drew was traded. It would have been better if it hadn't happened that way.

It sounds like this Pats HOF week has provided the proper closure for Drew the Pats and the fans, this is great to see for a player who was so important to this franchise.

He runs a winery and a couple of other businesses, he has the type of life that a lot of ex athletes never get to, glad for him and his family.

Glad they have a vets committee since so many fans who would vote for the Pats HOF never saw some of these guys play. Hopefully the Vets committee can get H Antwine there, he deserves it.

Why non-fiction is more fascinating to me than mere fiction:

Patriots Hall of Fame leftovers - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

* Kraft's introduction of Bledsoe was fascinating. After asking the crowd when the last time they rooted against the Patriots was, Kraft noted he did just that on Dec. 27, 1992. It was the regular-season finale against Miami and a loss ensured New England would get the No. 1 pick in the draft. Kraft was almost upset when the Patriots opened a 13-3 halftime lead, but the Dolphins rallied to win, 16-13, in overtime, setting into motion Bledsoe's arrival.

How ironic, too, that a year later, it was a New England overtime win over the Dolphins in the 1993 regular-season finale that Kraft suggested might have ultimately convinced him to overpay in order to keep the Patriots in Foxborough. Remember that James Orthwein bought the team in 1992 and had a desire to move the franchise to his native St. Louis. But because the Patriots had an agreement to play on Kraft's property in Foxborough -- one that the soon-to-be-owner refused to be bought out of -- it prevented that move. Kraft said Saturday he remembers being overcome with emotion when Bledsoe hit Michael Timpson with a 36-yard touchdown pass in overtime of that 33-27 triumph that left Foxboro Stadium rocking and fans chanting for the team to stay in the region.

Soon after Kraft bought the team for a then-NFL record $175 million and he said Saturday it was Bledsoe that gave him the courage to overpay for the team.

Really nice, classy speech there by Bledsoe. I've always liked Drew. He turned this franchise around, like BB said, when it was one of the worst in the leagues. I remember cellar dweller finishes, 1-15 wasn't unusual, fans would be wearing paper bags in the stands, it was so bad. And the Zeke Mowatt thing, well that just topped the lowlights of the 'old' Patriots. Drew's speech today reminded them the importance of the past and also an appreciation how former Pats players feel part of the team still and how they are so proud when this team continues to perform well. It's good that the franchise of the present, the younguns still feel that connection to the past. The roots of the team continues to grow as long as they keep that in mind.

*****(I must sadly add, however, that Jon made perhaps the WORST NFL career decision of all-time: He was picked by Vince Lombardi as the Packers' 2nd round draft pick in 1963 - - only to choose going to the AFL and the Patriots. Dude took a pass on being on the legendary lines with Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston and Forrest Gregg. He would have starred there. No way he would have been on the bench behind centers Bob Skoronski or Ken Bowman. With HIS talent and THAT legendary line, he would have been an NFL HOF).

As for this, the Packers loss is the Pats gain. He's now a part of the Pats HOF and I don't think he regrets it one bit. Think about this as well - if that fledgling AFL league hadn't attracted a few stars and prospered, the NFL as we know it would never have happened. There would not have been a merger and there wouldn't be any 'Superbowl'. So I applaud Morris and any other stars who chose to play in the AFL. Without them and their decisions to try that 'other' league, history would not have taken place.

Last edited:

The way things ended for Drew here was unfortunate, he got injured and his understudy is destined to be the GOAT, a decision had to be made and Drew was traded. It would have been better if it hadn't happened that way.

It sounds like this Pats HOF week has provided the proper closure for Drew the Pats and the fans, this is great to see for a player who was so important to this franchise.

He runs a winery and a couple of other businesses, he has the type of life that a lot of ex athletes never get to, glad for him and his family.

Glad they have a vets committee since so many fans who would vote for the Pats HOF never saw some of these guys play. Hopefully the Vets committee can get H Antwine there, he deserves it.

I was curious to know what happened to Rick Mirer(another reason to appreciate Drew) and by an odd coincidence.
He now coaches football for Torrey Pines Pop Warner. He also owns and operates a winery in Napa Valley called Mirror Wine Company. Company website is MirrorWine.com. A percentage of the proceeds from wine sales benefit his Mirer Family Foundation which assists children in need in his hometown of Goshen, Indiana and various groups around San Diego, California where he resides now.
Rick Mirer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This comment by Bledsoe made me lol:
"I had a a horrible backup, that No. 12 guy," quipped Bledsoe, talking about Brady after thanking many of his former teammates. "He didn't really understand the backup part."

Drew was (and still is) a warrior...

As for this, the Packers loss is the Pats gain. He's now a part of the Pats HOF and I don't think he regrets it one bit. Think about this as well - if that fledgling AFL league hadn't attracted a few stars and prospered, the NFL as we know it would never have happened. There would not have been a merger and there wouldn't be any 'Superbowl'. So I applaud Morris and any other stars who chose to play in the AFL. Without them and their decisions to try that 'other' league, history would not have taken place.

I am as big a homer as the next Pats fan, but really????? Do you REALLY think (from 20/20 hindsight) that was the best decision for JON MORRIS??????

Clive Rush over Vince Lombardi?????

Playing football in half empty Fenway Park, Boston College Alumni Stadium, Harvard Stadium, Schaeffer Stadium, Birmingham Freaking Alabama, etc. over Lambeau Field??????

"Almost winning the AFL Championship once"????? over 4 NFL Championships and the first 2 SB Championships?????

Patriots Team Hall of Fame in Foxboro, MA (don't get me wrong, I love the place, but.....)over The NFL Hall of Fame in Canton??????

If you do, I want whatever koolaid you're drinking!

Last edited:

I am as big a homer as the next Pats fan, but really????? Do you REALLY think (from 20/20 hindsight) that was the best decision for Jon Morris??????

Clive Rush over Vince Lombardi?????

"Almost winning the AFL Championship once"????? over 4 NFL Championships and the first 2 SB Championships?????

Patriots Team Hall of Fame in Foxboro, MA (don't get me wrong, I love the place, but.....)over The NFL Hall of Fame in Canton??????

If you do, I want whatever koolaid you're drinking!

Apparently you didn't read what I typed. I said that Morris joining the Patriots was one of many moves of players picking the AFL over the NFL that is what has made the league into what it is today.

Ask yourself, is the league the same without Namath's guarantee in Superbowl III and then the Jets actually going out and beating the heavily favored Colts? How about the Chiefs then beating the Vikings the next year in Superbowl IV? And that's just a couple of examples. You're talking about fleeting personal glory, I'm talking about HISTORY of the entire league.

I don't think there's any Koolaid drinking necessary to think that Morris is proud about where he is today and that he was a part of something special. And I've never compared the Pats of that era directly to the Packers. So please have a little perspective. History happened the way it did for a reason. And I'm proud that Morris is part of the Pats football hall of fame. He is one of the roots of the Patriots franchise. If that's not 'good enough' in your book compared to the Packers franchise, then it's your problem, not mine.

Last edited:

Bledsoe looks great and is obviously living a good and meaningful family life in Washington/Montana. This does not surprise me that he has his priorities in order. Years ago, I read about the tremendous work his dad Mac did speaking and teaching professionally about parenting skills.

I've always wished Drew nothing but the best, glad to see he is doing well!

Through all the hurt of being replaced, at the end of the day he was supplanted by someone who may go down as the greatest ever. Absolutely no shame in that. And no matter how people try to downplay it, there's a very good chance we don't get our first ring if Drew isn't there to come off the bench when Tom went down. As BB said, we all remember where the Patriots were before #11 was drafted, he'll always be a huge part of this franchise. Thank you Drew Bledsoe!

Apparently you didn't read what I typed. I said that Morris joining the Patriots was one of many moves of players picking the AFL over the NFL that is what has made the league into what it is today.

Ask yourself, is the league the same without Namath's guarantee in Superbowl III and then the Jets actually going out and beating the heavily favored Colts? How about the Chiefs then beating the Vikings the next year in Superbowl IV? And that's just a couple of examples. You're talking about fleeting personal glory, I'm talking about HISTORY of the entire league.

I don't think there's any Koolaid drinking necessary to think that Morris is proud about where he is today and that he was a part of something special. And I've never compared the Pats of that era directly to the Packers. So please have a little perspective. History happened the way it did for a reason. And I'm proud that Morris is part of the Pats football hall of fame. He is one of the roots of the Patriots franchise. If that's not 'good enough' in your book compared to the Packers franchise, then it's your problem, not mine.

I never said he shouldn't be proud of his accomplishments. Just that most people, looking back in 20/20 hindsight would be rational enough to see that the fork in the road he chose was obviously the lesser of the two for JON MORRIS. You keep on saying it was good for the AFL. OF COURSE IT WAS!!!!!! But I don't believe he made his decision as a charitable donation. He made the decision for JON MORRIS.

If it were me, no matter how glorious it was to be a Boston/NE Patriot of the 60's into the 70's, being a part of the 1960's Green Bay Packers 2-time SB Champions and legends would be my choice.

Obviously, it was a good thing for the AFL and the Patriots that he made the choice. Do you honestly believe it was the best choice for JON MORRIS???? Evidently, you do.

Everyone has their own viewpoint of the world.

Last edited:

I agree........ It has to provide some measure of comfort for him to have some distance behind him and it has now became clear that the guy who beat him out for the job was not "just some other" pass thrower.

It's once thing to get replaced by a guy that really doesn't do any better then you did. It's altogether another to get replaced by a guy that will ultimately be highly considered as the GOAT.

Good, and deserving w/e for Drew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back