Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Wikipedia Humiliation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Mar 6, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It'll be interesting to see the Wiki-apologists defend this little tidbit :rofl:

Excerpt from ABCNews.com:

"This latest scandal involves a prominent editor who forged his credentials and faked having a doctorate ... (he) described himself on his user profile as 'a tenured professor of theology at a private university in the eastern United States.' In reality, Ryan Jordan was a 24-year-old community college dropout from Kentucky who relied on sources like 'Catholicism for Dummies' when correcting articles."

And if you can't trust a 24 year old community college dropout to be a reliable reference, then who can you trust...? :rofl: :rofl:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2928756&page=1

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's not relevant since Wikipedia doesn't allow original research. Even if you have a doctorate, you need to cite your sources like everyone else.

Wikipedia is great for what it is, which is not an encyclopedia.

3. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure if "humiliation" is the right word to describe this "scandal".

Being an "open-ended" source, there is, of course, always the possibility of misrepresentation and inaccurate information.

It is obvious that you cannot use Wikipedia as the primary source. You have to verify the information from a secondary source.

BTW, my high school son, who has been accepted to Stanford, is a Wikipedia editor and a contributor.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Star Wars geek can't hear you... he's covered his ears from actually having to read any rebuttal to his pittiful, angry wacko righty nonsense... lol... in fact, i think he's left with bantering only with his allies...

5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, I agree 100%. Unfortunately what is obvious to you and me is not so obvious to others...

6. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It seems like people don't know what "primary source" and "secondary source" mean. All encyclopedias, by definition, are secondary sources. If you want to learn about the civil war from primary sources, you have to find civil war-era documents. If you look it up in something that's dedicated to writing about the civil war, like any encyclopedia, you're consulting a secondary source.

What people mean to say is that they wouldn't use Wikipedia as their only source, and I think that's clear enough to 95% of the people who would ever bother to look something up in the first place.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +819 / 7 / -2

That was very well explained. ;)

Most people yes, but I think 95% is a tad high. Wistah said his kids teacher was telling his/her students that Wiki was gospel. (sorry for the religious overtones :D )

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Something like that. I said she told the kids it was a good source for information. At second thought, I don't necessarily disagree with her since she was talking to 4th graders, but my daughter knows that there are better sources.

I'd put Wikipedia as a quaternary source, tertiary at best, not secondary.

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

is anything funnier than watching Con men posters bang cymbals over "Wikipedia Humliation" and Gore's kilowatt usage, all while COMPLETELY avoiding the Libby verdict and the US Attorneys firing stories like the plague?

distract, distract, distract... i love it... remember when you were 3 and you thought if you closed your eyes really hard and everything went dark that you actually disappeared, yourself?...

how utterly satisfying ... :rocker:

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Strategy #3 from the Rove play book, when dealing with any facts from the left throw out anything and see if it sticks, if it does you have done your job by distracting from the real issues. Who cares about Wikpedia, it is what it is minimally a tertiary source.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +819 / 7 / -2

I really am not up to speed with the Libby stuff. I tried to follow it early on, but I was lost on it a long time ago. Quite honestly, I really haven't had any desire to try to figure it out either. From what I can gather the guy lied to investigators and is now going to do time. Good. Without really following it as most have, I thought it would be a wrist slap, since that's what Sandy got, but Sandy didn't go in front of a jury like Libby did so... I've always been in favor of accountability. That being said, my guess is that Libby will get pardoned when GW leaves office.

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You people are hilarious. You honestly believe that any post anyone makes not related to Scooter Libby is just an attempt to distract from the verdict :rolleyes:

I guess from now on whenever Scooter Libby is in the news, we will hereby and henceforth initiate a complete moratorium and total ban on any and all not topics not related to Scooter Libby. :rolleyes:

Newsflash for the morons: There's room in this forum for more than one thread. If you want to talk about Libby then go right ahead. Meanwhile I will post whatever I feel like and there ain't sh*t you can do about it except continue to whine like a group of 4 year olds.