Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Taxes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

What a shame. Chicago is such a beautiful city. I've been there twice in the last few years, and were I 23 instead of 33, I'd probably move there. Anyhow, taxes, taxes, taxes... When will people wake up and learn that bigger government only means more wasteful government? It's funny how people criticize me for pointing out when a city has 400 employee's making well over $100k, while so few criticize hikes in taxes and fees on the working man.

Cook County sales tax increase proposedHike from 9 to 11 percent

By Leah Hope

September 18, 2007 - One Cook County commissioner wants to increase the county's portion of the sales tax, and if approved, the sales tax in Cook County would go up to 11 percent. That tax increase would also apply to restaurant and hotel bills.

Cook County Commissioner Joan Patricia Murphy said the additional tax revenue would be used to avoid another crisis when it is time to come up with next year's budget.
    It appears everything is on the table as Cook County commissioners prepare for next year's budget. The last time they called for a sales tax increase was 1992. Some commissioners say it is time to get help. But retailers are saying, look elsewhere.

It looks like the board of county commissioners has had enough job cuts throughout the county, including their own staff. They're looking at a gap in the 2008 budget.

"We just need to do something other than cut jobs if we want to maintain services to our residents," Commissioner Murphy said.

The proposal asks for increases in service and sales taxes. To retailers in Chicago, that means a sales tax would go from nine percent to 11 percent. Some are concerned that an even greater tax will send tourists and shoppers elsewhere.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5664018
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Sales tax is regressive. I wonder if property taxes are low in Chicago. If they need money, they should raise property taxes, investigate an income tax, and increase fees. But, certainly the only kind of sales tax that's worth considering would be one on luxury goods. That said, the article really doesn't tell us much about the financial situation in Cook County.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

No they shouldn't, they should cut spending. There is no reason for a property tax to begin with unless you are trying to discourage home ownership.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Aren't we discussing this in a vacuum? If they have massive debt and need money to pay for basic services, then they will have no choice but to raise taxes. No one, including me, likes taxes going up, but I do think property taxes are fairer than sales taxes. That said, like in Massachusetts where there's no tax on clothes and food, sales taxes can be designed in a reasonable way.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I would put my life savings on the fact that your "basic services" could be cut a substantial amount. Enough to lower taxes, in fact. Yes, we are discussing it in a vacuum - but as their sales tax is already a hideous 9% we already have the answer.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Raise property taxes? Why raise taxes at all? How about SPENDING LESS?

Ah, that's right. The only good tax is a tax on items rich people buy. :rolleyes:
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Bingo. My property tax has gone up nearly 60% in 5 years. Why? Partly because so many city employees make over $100k, and also because Chelsea probably has about 5-10,000 illegals living in it, overcrowding property, meaning that they suck on social services for 15 people, while living in a dwelling that is only paying for 5. Guess who pays the rest? Yup, the good old sucker, Joe Taxpayer. :mad:
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

9%! Hello? I wonder how many people in that county work for it's government, and make over $100k a year? Hmmm... How many illegals they got in Chicago? How much welfare does that county hand out? How many cops make six figures? Who cares though right? Just raise taxes and pay the bill.
  9. BFLOfan

BFLOfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I always wondered about that. Property values here in S Fla. have doubled in 5-6 years... Increased tax take is astounding yet local government runs in deficit yearly. Hmmm.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I can't believe what some pay in property tax. I pay about $2K which I think is a ripoff but it seems like that's nothing compared to other parts of the country. Just like the marriage penalty, I thought owning property was supposed to be a good thing and yet you have to pay for it. Weird.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Willing to bet if you decreased federal regulations NCLB, Welfare etc. you could reduce state government and taxes would go down. It would also allow the states to look at innovative programs.