PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More stadium noise okay; another Polian rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do that in the Boston Garden or whatever they call it now. I think it's weak, but WGAF. I think alot of fans at Gillette could use the prompts. Unless the Jets or Colts are visiting, you can usually here a mouse fart.

I hate the crowd noise at Gillette. It's so low compared to other stadiums. I'm not insulting anyone here, but most people I sit next to are pompous rich people who probably can't name 10 players. You only get the hardcore, suicidal, crazy fans (us at patsfans:D) if it's snowing or the colts.

I hate the crowd noise at Gillette. It's so low compared to other stadiums. I'm not insulting anyone here, but most people I sit next to are pompous rich people who probably can't name 10 players. You only get the hardcore, suicidal, crazy fans (us at patsfans:D) if it's snowing or the colts.
It's a double-edged sword. There are some clubs like Jacksonville that would love to have the benefits of 1/4 of the ticket sales a team like the Pats gets that go to corporations (rather than individuals), be it sales of suites, club seats, or tickets that end up being given away to employees and their customers as perks.

To me in hindsight the biggest problem was the open end of the stadium. Yes, club seating makes the 300's further away but that open end zone is why Gillette is quieter than what you would prefer.

Last edited:
Tell the teams that play us in snow games that having a dome is an advantage for the home team :)

It's a double-edged sword. There are some clubs like Jacksonville that would love to have the benefits of 1/4 of the ticket sales a team like the Pats gets that go to corporations (rather than individuals), be it sales of suites, club seats, or tickets that end up being given away to employees and their customers as perks.

To me in hindsight the biggest problem was the open end of the stadium. Yes, club seating makes the 300's further away but that open end zone is why Gillette is quieter than what you would prefer.

Yes, that is a major factor. Whenever I think about it I get so damned frustrated. Kraft has done a great job in general, but in the design of the stadium he gets an F.

The NFL is saying that as part of their effort to improve their game-day experience (i.e., spend lots of $ to watch it live rather than watch it for free at home), they are allowing teams to tell fans on their video boards that they need to get loud at certain times during the game.

I have a few thoughts on this.

One, I think it's pretty sad that fans need to be told when to be loud or when to be quiet; that goes for any sport and not just the NFL. ...

Another thing this will result in is that much more of a home advantage for dome teams. Perhaps last year was an anomaly, but it seemed like there was an inordinate amount of dome teams in last year's playoffs. ...

Who is behind this rule change and why? Well, the NFL's competition committee spearheads rule changes, and Bill Polian of the Colts is the most powerful force on that committee. Teams that would stand to gain the most are dome teams such as the Colts. ...

It used to be that a team built for the playoffs needed a strong running game and a sound defensive line. Now instead it seems like a playoff team needs to build a dome and perhaps a good sound system.

League: Make some noise!
NFL to teams: Bring the noise - JSOnline

Teams have been exhorting their fans to make noise forever so, in a sense, this is nothing new.

As for any advantage a "dome" team might have...so what? I have no problems with owners or team executives who try to get the league to sanction whatever will give their team an advantage. If they don't like what Polian is allegedly doing, the Krafts have enough clout with the League to stop him and should. For a team like the Pats without a dome, they can turn their situation to an advantage by taking care of business during the season and making the road to the SB go through their "frozen tundra."

Count me, also, as someone who was initially opposed to the idea of playing the SB in an outdoor, cold weather venue, but who now thinks it's a good thing. Nothing will compel a Dome team like Indy into building a balanced, all weather attack than the prospect of playing the SB in Green Bay or Foxboro or the Meadowlands.

those are two very good points.

on the second point in particular, is there anyone here who is familiar with the logic that went into building the new stadium in the way they did? I mean, they had to know that the result would be a New England Quaker Meeting quiet except at the most critical moments of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing