Welcome to PatsFans.com

More specialty protections

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 18, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

These kinds of laws are a little over the top.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/fashion/391792,CST-NWS-size18.article

Short, fat people may get rights

MASSACHUSETTS | Would law stop bias -- or business?

May 18, 2007
    BY KEN MAGUIRE
    BOSTON -- Ellen Frankel stands just 4-foot-8 inches tall, a size that allowed larger co-workers to playfully scoop her up at the office and make remarks about her height. Some even patted her on the head.
    Lawmakers are considering complaints such as hers as they review a bill that would make Massachusetts just the second state to bar discrimination based on height or weight.

''People in authority will very easily make comments about height that they wouldn't make about race or gender,'' said Frankel, a Marblehead author.

Jeanne Toombs understands the frustration. She says overweight people routinely are discriminated against because of their size.

''It's not fair. No matter what you think of fat people, they deserve to be treated like human beings,'' said Toombs, 59, a piano teacher who weighs 300 pounds.

But Republican analyst Todd Domke is concerned that lawmakers will scare off businesses if they expand protection to include short and overweight workers.

''We might as well add colorblind, left-handed, allergic-to-cashews, and get it over with,'' Domke said.

2. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0

I agree. I am 5-4, 180 ( not fat though, I am solid and can bench 255), and I can vouch for the fact that being short IS a handicap. That said I am NOT in favor of any sort of special protected-class treated. We have far too much of that already. Everyone has their own issues to deal with, and we don't need legislation to counter every negative that people meet in life.

That's just life.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Well, I'm a towering 5'8 (on my good days :D ) and 175 lbs. I just think it's silly to have laws for everything. Reminds me of the push for purple corrective ink instead of red.

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm 6'4", and I'd like to see a law banning low signs, overhangs, and tree branches. Well, not really, but those bother me a lot more than people saying, "Hey, is it raining up there?"

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  5. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0

You've got it coming to you "Wilt"! :rolleyes:

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Exactly!...what about us tall people (6'3") low branches, low doorframes....BAN THEM!

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I turn pink when I'm in flourescent lighting. Know what I do? I stay away from flourescent lighting. Some people think my political opinions are too narrow and forceful. Know what I do? I post on this message board.

Wait! I think I'll make a law banning flourescent lighting and force NECN to broadcast my opinions every tuesday. Yeah...that's it!

I have had people of all shapes, colors, and brains working with and for me. It never occurred that these groups would need protection. The world is about to fall out of solar orbit!

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

I'm 5' 9", 145 lbs, Red Hair, when I was 14 yrs old I worked on a Horse and Wagon peddling Ice & Oil one day the Horse stepped on my foot and it left me with a very slight life long limp, you should see the sh!t Iv'e had to take, I was also a Protestant hanging around all my life with a bunch of Catholics, I was always told I was never going to heaven, they told me God hates Red Headed Protestants That Limp, I finally found a Protestant women that wouldn't let me have sex with her until we got married, so I married her, what do my kids do, they all marry Catholics, now when I have a family cookout I'm surrounded by Catholics again. GOD HATES MY GUTS.
    :bricks:

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

They did it to piss you off, Boy.
    I know what you mean about the limp. I have one from a motorcycle crash years ago. As a result, I work harder and faster becuase the pain from my injuries goes away the harder I work, for some reason. Adrenalyn, I think. People think I'm trying to over-compensate but it just feels good.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

As I've said before, we have too many politicians with too much time on their hands. So they come up with crap like this.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

The same people that want to put diapers on dogs and teach kids how to masturbate do this.

(nobody had to teach me) :singing:

12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

I'm your average height guy (5'10), and for a while dated a woman who was 6'1. She says people thought it was clever to ask "hey, what's the weather like up there?" To which she'd spit on their heads and say, "raining."

It had a certain redneck je ne sais quois.

PFnV

13. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Now I can't WAIT for the next time someone asks me that...