PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More SB predictions from ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike the Pats being so heavily favored as well.

If we all spend so much time discrediting things that those in the media write, calling them mediots and other clever portmanteaus, then we should not get worried over the things they write. These articles have no bearing on anything.

It does not matter what Gene Wojciechowski thinks is going to happen this season. It's just an interesting article to read. These guys cannot jinx the Patriots, because such a thing does not exist.

Sometimes, a lot of people agree on something and they turn out to be right. If #12 stays healthy, I think this will be one of those times.

Gene Wojciechowski has 44 predictions for the 2009 season - ESPN

frankly the patriots being mentioned in every outlet makes me nervous. we werent this much favored even after we won in 2003 or before the 2007 season

I am afraid that Pats dont have enough defense and running game. I will be very happy to be proven wrong. Vikings? great OL, DL, A. Peterson and C Taylor. I won't be surprised if they made it.

Running Game + Strong Defense =(often)= Superbowl. Don't think that formula is Pat's strongth this year. Minnesota, Giants, Pittsburgh are better (balanced) and are better suited for the post season. Pitt and Giants won 3 (of last 4) superbowls. (and we agree that the Indy win was a freak accident).

Brady will likely have to carry the team, again; recent history, even when he gets us a lead, the team can't keep opponents down. Weak Running=can't run off clock, Leaky D=give up scores late (see 06, 07 playoff, losing on last minute TDs). is this the year the nightmares going to end?

2009 Pats so far, the running game and defense have not shown much, not championship caliber. I love the team but can't feel great about the progress on what the team needed to improve on. Not yet. I will be very happy to be proven wrong as season progresses. I have high hopes.

Is this too harsh? I don't get the odds on favorite thing. I think the media (ESPN, SI) are style over substance. They overlook the Pats weakness. Yes we think it will contend, but is it build to WIN?

Last edited:
I am afraid that Pats dont have enough defense and running game. I will be very happy to be proven wrong. Vikings? great OL, DL, A. Peterson and C Taylor. I won't be surprised if they made it.

Running Game + Strong Defense =(often)= Superbowl. Don't think that formula is Pat's strongth this year. Minnesota, Giants, Pittsburgh are better (balanced) and are better suited for the post season. Pitt and Giants won 3 (of last 4) superbowls. (and we agree that the Indy win was a freak accident).

Brady will likely have to carry the team, again; recent history, even when he gets us a lead, the team can't keep opponents down. Weak Running=can't run off clock, Leaky D=give up scores late (see 06, 07 playoff, losing on last minute TDs). is this the year the nightmares going to end?

2009 Pats so far, the running game and defense have not shown much, not championship caliber. I love the team but can't feel great about the progress on what the team needed to improve on. Not yet. I will be very happy to be proven wrong as season progresses. I have high hopes.

Is this too harsh? I don't get the odds on favorite thing. I think the media (ESPN, SI) are style over substance. They overlook the Pats weakness. Yes we think it will contend, but is it build to WIN?

i agree with your assessment about the running game and D but i think we should wait a 4-5 games at least. the lack of a power running game could be because the oline is not the physical run blocking type. the patriots have to rush the passer on D and keep pressure off the secondary.

Naturally, you are aware that:

The Pats were 6th in rushing last year. The Steelers were like 24th.

The vaunted Steelers defense was torched the Super Bowl and would be the subject of a historic collapse but for a collapse of the 31th ranked passing defense from Arizona.

They got so torched somebody could easily think they were playing a Brady led offense.

The miracle Giants run offense was non existent in SB XLI. Victory was secured by improbable passing plays with Tyree/Boss/Burress.

Minnesota has played and lost ONE playoff game since 2004. As the Minnesota fans pointed out with Childress, "Why is Chilly picking fights with BB when they don't even know we exist"?

The Pats had a good running game last year and you can argue this RB corp is better than last year assuming that Morris is healthy. The defense is a work in progress and could be like 2001 where it starts out slow and is dominant by midseason.

BTW, even with an average at best defense in 2007 (and the stats lie in this case since the defensive numbers benefitted from the Pats being up by three TDs at halftime), the Pats were one minute away from winning the Super Bowl. So if the offense can be close to the 2007, I still think they have their chances.

As for the Vikes, I doubt they win their division nevermind win the Super Bowl. In a weak division last year, they were only 10-6. Their competition in the division have gotten better (how can Detriot get worse) and I still think Favre is a weak link for them because he makes far too many mistakes. I like the Giants, Eagles, and potentially the Packers or Bears over Minnesotta.

i don't give unnecessary clicks to the HSPN (Hate Sports Network), but I'll take your word that the Pats come off well in their predictions.

My read is that, in addition to having the strongest O in the league on paper, the Pats are getting props in these predictions because it leaves an easy out for the guys making the predictions to say, "well, Brady just wasn't himself" if the Pats don't go far, turning the discussion onto Brady and away from themselves.

I can't remember the last time the overwhelming pre-season favorite actually did win it all.

The running game was possibly the best we have had in 30 years last year. You think it is weak because of what you saw from the starters playing less than 1 full gae spread out over a month?
The next time that pre-season play of our defense is any indication of regular season play will be the first.
You indicate that the media ignores our weaknesses but imply that makes us worse than other teams, which also have weaknesses.
The Vikings struggle to defend the pass, and have Brett Favre at QB.

The running game was possibly the best we have had in 30 years last year. You think it is weak because of what you saw from the starters playing less than 1 full gae spread out over a month?
The next time that pre-season play of our defense is any indication of regular season play will be the first.
You indicate that the media ignores our weaknesses but imply that makes us worse than other teams, which also have weaknesses.
The Vikings struggle to defend the pass, and have Brett Favre at QB.

agreed. based on the preseason, the rest of the NFC should fold its cards (no pun intended) and put the Pack in the SB...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

defense i agree.. running game ? i personally think thats a mythical theory which all analysts crib about needing to able to run the ball. the 2003 pats didnt have much of a running game. plus pats change their game plan everyweek . ifthe pats play a team like minnesota every week you can bet they will keep throwing every week alot.
defensively ,the loss of the experience vets is a big void to fill

I do think that this will be the best Patriots team we've ever seen. Look at it this way:

Pats are one of the best teams in the league at killing the clock offensively when they have a lead. As long as Neal stays healthy (pretty huge if), I'll be confident in that. The problem is that they had trouble getting their defense off the field in 2008, but I think they've addressed that more than adequately this offseason.

where are we worse than 2007?
CB1: Samuel > Bodden (?- I have Bodden as the #1 right now, but it's kinda up in the air)
SOLB: Vrabel > Woods
QB: Brady pre-injury > Brady post-injury (maybe not, but I'll give em this one :p)

Where are we better than 2007?
WILB: Mayo > Thomas
SILB: Guyton > Bruschi
WOLB: Thomas > Colvin (and much better than post-injury replacement)
DE: Seymour > Green, injured Seymour
WR3: Galloway > Stallworth, Gaffney
TE2: Watson/Baker/Thomas > Thomas/Brady

Where it's harder to tell:
Meriweather or Harrison? Depends on how well Sanders can fill the leadership void, and if Meriweather takes another step up.
Springs/Wilhite or Hobbs? Depends on how you feel about Hobbs, really. I'm inclined to think that it's a wash at worst, and at best a substantial upgrade. And either way, the depth is much better.

I also think that the 2009 team has superior depth pretty much across the board.

Last edited:
Pats will win the Super Bowl if:

Burgess can be Colvin and make qbs adjust their throws thus helping out an inexperienced secondary

Fred Taylor and BJGE become clock killing machines keeping opposing offenses off the field

Brady doesn't win NFL MVP. If Brady wins the MVP again and throws 685 TDs this year, that obviously means we are not putting enough emphasis on the running game. I would like to see Moss used like a queen in chess---only called upon when need be. Moss is another guy we take for granted, what if he gets hurt? I don't want to see this guy taking hit after hit--I was getting kind a worried in that Washington preseason game. The Pats just need to run the dang ball!

I had a bad case of Wojciechowski once. My doc came in with a stoic look on his face and was like "Murray, I'm afraid you have Wojciechowski"

And I was all

"OH NOES!!!111"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill