PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Rumours of Moss to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've heard time and again that the #1 thing the Pats look for in a player is that he is committed to football and that being the best player he can be is a priority to that player. I don't see that when I look at Randy Moss. I see a superior talent who has been on cruise control for years.

And can we stop with the quotes from BB and trying to analyze what they mean? Have we not learned by now that he never says anything negative about opponents before a game? He was praising Culpepper a week ago. Next week he'll be telling us how good JP Losman is.

As for what Brady would think - this week he said on WEEI that he wouldn't want to play with a guy like TO so I don't think we can say either way how he would feel about Moss.

I woul so love to see this happen but I know it won't.
But it would be funny to hear of BB telling Moss, "There'll be no f*ckin Randy Ratio around here."

cap hit is the key to this, not need or talent...
if moss was signed for $1M/yr, he'd be worth 2 #1's
at $10M/yr, he's worth a 4 tops

Wow. I leave for the evening, and when I return, there are over 100 posts on a Moss-to-NE thread. My 2 cents:

Just caveat emptor, baby.

No way I trade my 2 #1s for him. If Moss tears up the remainder of his contract, and plays for the vet minimum, then I would trade one #1 for him. If he doesn't, then I would trade a 3rd-rounder for him. Tops.

Asante Samuel cannot be part of any Moss trade. We need more quality DBs, not fewer.

If there are any health issues, they need to be investigated immediately.

Finally, I would rather see the FO trade for a ProBowl-caliber DB or LB, instead.

The Pats are not going to deal for Randy Moss, a once premier receiver in the twilight of his career - they are going to use their two first rounders next year on defense - end of story

Grizzafted said:

You'd rather have Randy Moss at 9 million a year...than DEION BRANCH AT 6!? What league have you been watching the last few years??

If Dieon is worth 6 million (he's not) then Moss is worth 9 million.

DATELines%20Randy%20Moss.jpg

You have to admit, Moss is willing to take a hit.

drewdagreat said:
Twighlight of his career? He's 29!

I think he was being sarcastic. That's what people said when they made the Dillon trade, I guess. I don't remember that, exactly, in fact I think the atmosphere was pretty euphoric after the Pats acquired Dillon.

And if you were being serious, Moss still has many good years left.

DCPatsFan said:
The Pats are not going to deal for Randy Moss, a once premier receiver in the twilight of his career -

It's Dan Duquette!!!!!

Welcome to Patsfans.com! Nice to have you here.

I'm not entirely convinced that Moss would all of a sudden straighten up his act here and become a model citizen. To me, that's the real wildcard. All it takes is a random positive marijuana test a week before the playoffs and the joke's on us. It looks like a question of high gain vs. high risk (risk being losing a high draft pick, spending a lot of money, and having him crap out on us with an off-field issue). Of course, a conduct clause could be part of his contract, but spending a first-rounder on him is something I would not do. A second-rounder and a sixth or something, maybe.

I'm not sure if I'm being redundant with this comment, because I only read the first couple of page.

On the surface this seems like a match made in heaven and the writers consistantly use the Dillon comparison. However I see some clear differences in those situations. Dillon's problem in Cinci was not only the losing but it was the WORST FO organization in the league. Dillon's "bad attitude" was the result. Moss on the other hand has shown his "darker side" while on a well run Vikings team. THIS is what would give me pause if I were thinking about trading for Moss.

ON THE OTHER HAND - HE IS a great talent. He SHOULD have the motivation to go to a first class organization like the Pats. He WOULD give the offense a threat that would help balance our running game. It WOULD get the Pats a lot more air time in the media, which would make US happier. :D

BOTTOM LINE: I pass, even if it were just for a second round choice. The problem I see goes further than this season. He is a WR that makes more than this FO believes ANY WR should make, even a Randy Moss. So there are TEAM salary structure issues.

Secondly you might have the cap room to sign him, BUT AT WHAT EXPENSE. Does that mean we will lose the flexibility to sign Graham, Samuel, some FA, etc

Third, is he going to make this offense THAT much better...beyond the hype? Will he open up the field so other can take advantage of his presence. Or is he a guy whose skills have eroded, and could simply be taken out of a game like we saw TO in Philly where they played him one on one and didn't even assign a special person to cover him.

The end result is that while this would be a very exciting addition, overall there are just too many questions that IMHO the risk would be worth the reward.

HEDGING MY BETS: On the other had, if the Pats made the trade (for a 2nd rounder) IT WOULD BE EXCITING as a fan.

FreeTedWilliams said:
It's Dan Duquette!!!!!

Welcome to Patsfans.com! Nice to have you here.

Thanks - and just to let you know, the best trade I ever made was Jamie Moyer for Darren Bragg.

But seriously, there are rumours that Moss has lost a step, and I think the Dillon comparison doesn't work - Dillon never took plays off in Cincy - while with Moss his tendency to take plays off is well known - why would that change in NE?

I don't like the Dillion comparison. BB did his research on Dillion and found out (from talking to other coaches, players, scouts, ect....) that Dillion was a good character guy who had just had it with losing (which isn't a bad thing). Not only was he sick of losing, but sick of seeing the FO do nothing to help their chances. It seemed like a no-win situation so he did what he could to get out adn still have a chance to win during his career. Since he came here he has been the man! I don't think we can assume that Moss #1 is the same type person, and #2 will turn out the same way. That's a big stretch----plus we all know once you hit the raiders, your career is basically over:D

If the Pats can agree on compensation with the Raiders, and have Randy tear up his current contract for a new, more cap friendly one, then they should take him without a second thought.

Those 2 if's are big ones though, so let's not get our hopes up.

I posted this in the "Porter suspended" thread but it's probably more appropriate in here.

The Pats should trade for both Moss and Porter. And yes I am serious. I have had tons of free time spent shovelling out of tons of snow and sawing up fallen trees to have thought this out

The Raiders are in a huge bind right now. Let's use their futility to our advantage. Neither Moss nor Porter wishes to remain a Raider and have been publicly vocal about it which isn't helping a team that is crumbling in front of everyones eyes. Tell the Raiders that we only trade for one of them if the other is involved. They won't get a better offering than this one from any other team so offer up both 1st's for the two of them and then settle in for a few years of league domination. Any bad Raider PR that results from trading away these guys can easily be offset by throwing in the fact that they now have 3 1st round picks with which to rebuild with. Any sane Raider fan knows that they need to rebuild. What better way to do so then with 3 1st rounders. I'm very comfortable relying on the Pats coaching staff and it's numerous vets acclimating Moss and Porter to the winning ways of life as a New England Patriot.

Brady would do backflips from here to eternity if he had Moss and Porter as his primary targets. Throw best bud Gabriel into the Moss/Porter mix and you've got instant passing domination and then some. With Moss and Porter added the Pats offense would be set for the next several years meaning they could use the next two years worth of draft picks to shore up the back 7/8 as needed.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I posted this in the "Porter suspended" thread but it's probably more appropriate in here.

The Pats should trade for both Moss and Porter. And yes I am serious. I have had tons of free time spent shovelling out of tons of snow and sawing up fallen trees to have thought this out

The Raiders are in a huge bind right now. Let's use their futility to our advantage. Neither Moss nor Porter wishes to remain a Raider and have been publicly vocal about it which isn't helping a team that is crumbling in front of everyones eyes. Tell the Raiders that we only trade for one of them if the other is involved. They won't get a better offering than this one from any other team so offer up both 1st's for the two of them and then settle in for a few years of league domination. Any bad Raider PR that results from trading away these guys can easily be offset by throwing in the fact that they now have 3 1st round picks with which to rebuild with. Any sane Raider fan knows that they need to rebuild. What better way to do so then with 3 1st rounders. I'm very comfortable relying on the Pats coaching staff and it's numerous vets acclimating Moss and Porter to the winning ways of life as a New England Patriot.

Brady would do backflips from here to eternity if he had Moss and Porter as his primary targets. Throw best bud Gabriel into the Moss/Porter mix and you've got instant passing domination and then some. With Moss and Porter added the Pats offense would be set for the next several years meaning they could use the next two years worth of draft picks to shore up the back 7/8 as needed.
If i posted this, i would have gotten my balls sliced off....

If they even considered anything like this i would prefer trading our First for Moss and leaving Porter there. I don't think we need both.

Keegs said:
If i posted this, i would have gotten my balls sliced off....

If they even considered anything like this i would prefer trading our First for Moss and leaving Porter there. I don't think we need both.
I approached this as a "take it or leave" proposal believing that no way the Pats could steal Moss for just a 1st. So, make it two firsts by tossing in the other 1st in return for Porter as well. The Raiders could then say they got two firsts for Moss because "no team was giving us anything for Porter......"

As for needing another WR. We'll need another WR as soon as Troy hangs em up. Unless you think Caldwell or Gabriel or No Action Jackson can replace Troy. I don't see Troy's replacement in any of these 3 guys.

Bobs My Uncle said:

As opposed to? Obviously I'd take a shot at these guys if they're available for low risk, but we've won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls BMU.

It's a little early in the season to get snowblind.:D

Running and jumping is great, but before you risk destroying the chemistry by throwing two possible bad apples in the barrel ask yourself What have the Vikings and Raiders accomplished with these two?

Accomplished equals victories especially playoff and Super Bowls.

If we're talking fantasy football? Do the deal.

The Patriots have to be the worst fantasy team bar none.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back