Asking for your support

Who should get more reps this Sunday?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Who'd you rather see get the reps this Sunday? With Bolden ruled out for Sunday's game they are both likely to see the field, behind Ridley of course. I love Woodhead but they may have something special in Vereen. Him and Woodhead have a similar skill set but I believe Vereen may become more of a play maker and slightly stronger in between the tackles. I was Stoked when Woody picked up the 1st down on 3rd and 17, but I can't count the times I screamed at my TV after a woodhead run on 3rd down. We may see a big game from Vereen this Sunday.

I'd like to see Vereen continue getting reps. We already know what we have with Woody while Vereen has shown some flashes but he's missed so much time.

Woodhead. Largely due to the fact that I have a red throwback with 39 on it. Also because I view Vereen as the Ras-I of the offense.

Like them both, but Vereen has more power and versatility as an inside runner as well as an outside threat and as a receiver.

As always the patriots go into every game with a card of 100 or so plays on it. They then go to the areas they have success in exploiting. Can't answer this question until they are in the game.

Vereen has shown some flashes but he's missed so much time.

That could apply to Bolden, too. Injuries in college were what dropped him to a UDFA in the first place, and since breaking out he's been MIA.

Or maybe it's just a sign of how brutal the game is, especially for the RB position, and we're fortunate to be in a situation of having multiple options to choose from.

Who'd you rather see get the reps this Sunday? With Bolden ruled out for Sunday's game they are both likely to see the field, behind Ridley of course. I love Woodhead but they may have something special in Vereen. Him and Woodhead have a similar skill set but I believe Vereen may become more of a play maker and slightly stronger in between the tackles. I was Stoked when Woody picked up the 1st down on 3rd and 17, but I can't count the times I screamed at my TV after a woodhead run on 3rd down. We may see a big game from Vereen this Sunday.

Grass is always greener. Would Vereen even have gotten any reps if Bolden was active? I still don't see why people have to constantly use superlatives to descibe him. He showed ok as a runner, blocked a little better than I thought he could and can catch out of the backfield well but has shown nothing as of yet to be considered "something special". I also wouldn't be putting any bets on Vereen being stronger between the tackles.

That could apply to Bolden, too. Injuries in college were what dropped him to a UDFA in the first place, and since breaking out he's been MIA.

Or maybe it's just a sign of how brutal the game is, especially for the RB position, and we're fortunate to be in a situation of having multiple options to choose from.

That's true. Luckily it's a risk we were able to afford given the depth at the position. Vereen filled in fine last week. Just hope Bolden could be healthy for the playoffs if we get there, at the time he seems like an upgrade to Vereen although the sample size is small and Vereen could improve with time.

I still don't see why people have to constantly use superlatives to descibe him. He showed ok as a runner, blocked a little better than I thought he could and can catch out of the backfield well but has shown nothing as of yet to be considered "something special". I also wouldn't be putting any bets on Vereen being stronger between the tackles.
What I said...

"I love Woodhead but they may have something special in Vereen."

Vereen was a productive runner in college that we used a 2nd round pick on. He's agile and has top speed. Even the little we've seen him, there's still some promise for this kid.

I don't know why you doubt he's stronger between the tackles than Woodhead. That's not a hard feat right there... Also, he's a couple inches taller and 10 lbs heavier.

I love them both,,but give me some Vereen tomorrow. I think he has a few catches and big numbers as a RB .

Maybe give Vereen some reps early, but when the games on the line give me woody over vereen until vereen proves himself.

Can Vereen pick up the blitz?

Faulk brought a level of trust to block blitzers and release out when necessary (not to mention a nose for the 1st down marker). Looks like Woodhead has taken responsibility for ~some~ of that role -- he's fearless taking on blitzing LBs. If Vereen can do the same, then I'd like to see Vereen forcing defenses to respect his ability to catch and run from the backfield.

Woodhead has made some good runs in 3rd and long so he's got some good intelligence, though he if the Oline can't open a hole, he doesn't have the physical power to force his way through.

I think Woodhead has earned it, and he just seems to squirt through the big pile of bodies for that extra 5 yards when you need it!

I don't care who gets more REPS.....I just care about what they do with their chances when they get them!! GO PATS!!!! Expect both players to see plenty of action....I love seeing Vereen get some looks in the flat or catch out of backfield......

What I said...

"I love Woodhead but they may have something special in Vereen."

Vereen was a productive runner in college that we used a 2nd round pick on. He's agile and has top speed. Even the little we've seen him, there's still some promise for this kid.

I don't know why you doubt he's stronger between the tackles than Woodhead. That's not a hard feat right there... Also, he's a couple inches taller and 10 lbs heavier.

My issues are with Woodhead's perceived weaknesses and the assumption that Vereen will be an automatic upgrade the moment he steps on the field. Woodhead's strengths between the tackles, when used correctly, are his vision, quickness and elusiveness so height and weight aren't that much of an issue and may in actuality be in Woodhead's favor. I don't know what evidence there is that Vereen would be an upgrade running between the tackles. BB himself said that Vereen's strengths are best suited running outside and being utilized in the passing game.

These posts always seem to have the phrasing of I like Woodhead, but I really think he's not very good, in fact it's near impossible to be worse, that Vereen will definitely be an improvement and then followed up with terms like dynamic, explosive or (may be) something special to describe Vereen. Same type of argument I had with another poster who said DW is by far the worst blocking RB on the team.

We know what we have in Woodhead; I want to see what Vereen has to offer. Above all, I do not want Woodhead with the ball on third and short!

We know what we have in Woodhead; I want to see what Vereen has to offer. Above all, I do not want Woodhead with the ball on third and short!

Ironic considering he's our third down back.

If Vereen has taken his injury time and used it to study film, then let's have him in. Woodhead is always in during the no-huddle, because he knows it the best out of our RBs. If Vereen can process the plays and be effective in the hurry up, by all means play him over Woody.

Vereen has the potential, Woodhead is the proven commodity. I'd like to see more Woodhead this game (though I'm thinking we will be in for a heavy dose of Ridley. We could use Bolden back too).

Woodhead.

If you put any stock into FootballOutsiders stats, he's currently the most effective pass-catching RB in the league. His running stats this year aren't all that great, but if you watch the games you'd realize how impactful some of his runs have been. Plus, he can't control the lack of blocking on most of the draws they call. I think he's overdue for a 30 yard+ run.

No knock against Vereen, he's just got better backs ahead of him. He's had a few good runs, but also seems indecisive at times, and doesn't seem to fight for yards like the others. As soon as Bolden comes back, Vereen should go back to the bench (unless he proves otherwise).

My issues are with Woodhead's perceived weaknesses and the assumption that Vereen will be an automatic upgrade the moment he steps on the field. Woodhead's strengths between the tackles, when used correctly, are his vision, quickness and elusiveness so height and weight aren't that much of an issue and may in actuality be in Woodhead's favor. I don't know what evidence there is that Vereen would be an upgrade running between the tackles. BB himself said that Vereen's strengths are best suited running outside and being utilized in the passing game.

These posts always seem to have the phrasing of I like Woodhead, but I really think he's not very good, in fact it's near impossible to be worse, that Vereen will definitely be an improvement and then followed up with terms like dynamic, explosive or (may be) something special to [describe Vereen. Same type of argument I had with another poster who said DW is by far the worst blocking RB on the team
Sure, except that I didn't say any of those things. My point is basically that Vereen has a fairly high ceiling. When you use the 56th pick in the draft, I expect to at least give that guy a chance. That's why I say that we MAY have something special in Vereen given his skill set. We'll never know if we don't use him... And no I'm not using superlatives to describe him just for the sake of doing so. Vereen has the physical ability and it's not hard to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes