Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Proof That Rand Paul is legit - Crossover Candidate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Mar 20, 2014.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Rand Paul, Republican presidential hopeful, finds support in Berkeley, of all places - San Jose Mercury News

If he can find a way to moderate on those anti-conservative issues look out. I liked Clinton in 2007 but Rand Paul intrigues me more now because he represents change from the norm ... a better chance that campaign promises may not be broken.

I just don't see a candidate out there who will deviate from their party once they are elected and I think that's a key ... a very important key as it's what we have just witnessed the last 13 years from Bush and Obama .. empty rhetoric.

We need a President who has the greatest chance to work on issues where Congress will break ranks from time to time ... congress not breaking ranks to me is the #1 problem in the country.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

I just posted this too Icy before I saw yours, throw mine in the crap can.........

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

I like Paul more and more, each time I hear him speak. It's a long way from now till the election, but I think he's really good at articulating his positions, without the use of Save the Children! type talking points. At the very least, election wise, I think the country will benefit from him having a microphone on a national stage. He is by far the biggest non-establishment candidate running. That makes him plausible for me, since I refuse to vote for either establishment.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Let us pray we don't have any candidates that use "save the children" type rhetoric next election!

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

Seriously? 90% of them will. Hillary Clinton will be as establishment a candidate as has ever existed. Jeb Bush will tote the GOP line. Understand that candidates like Paul will be targeted by both sides. If it's one thing that Coke & Pepsi will agree on, it's destroying any and all threats to the establishment. The MSM will gladly help the GOP on this too, cuz all they'll then do is turn around and target the GOP after the primaries. Coke and Pepsi understand that so long as they are the only two standing, people will vote for one, or the other. They are therefore guaranteed a minimum, and magnitude, of power. Paul threatens the dems obviously, but he also threatens the way of doing business inside the GOP. Guys like Mitch McConnell will not let that happen, if they can help prevent it.

7. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +173 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

He's definitely more of a libertarian which is great for me. I worry about who he would choose for the VP. That lost Romney a lot of votes, mine included. He may have to do it to pacify the holy right but it will be a mistake.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +533 / 14 / -28

I think when he starts to articulate the Libertarian ideals on gay marriage, abortion, immigration, open borders, limited military and non involvement in affairs such as Syria and Crimea, he may hit a rough patch amongst the loudest mouths in the Republican Party..

I do not dislike him as much as I did in the past, but it will be interesting to see how he fits into the big picture...

Personally do not see him gaining traction in a major election.. too many contrary issues...

9. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +223 / 12 / -7

He believes that businesses should be allowed to discriminate against protected minority groups. That is enough to sink him.

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

That is absolutely false ....

It is/was a description of a theoretical free speech theory ...

He personally does not believe businesses should be allowed to discriminate.

11. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +86 / 7 / -6

Rand Paul is a breath of fresh air from the right. I don't entirely agree with him but you can bet I will cast my vote for him in a second. I liked his father a lot more, even if some of his hardcore libertarianism could never realistically happen. Still he has the libertarian streaks (he is not a libertarian overall) which I really like. Thankfully he is not 'the lesser of two evils'. He is the best Republican candidate IMO and it isn't close.

If he gets a realistic chance at Presidency expect the neocons to attack and for lefties on MSNBC to distort him as a racist which is simply not true.

12. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Low information voters enjoy bumper sticker tags lines and posters...Life is best when summed up on a 3*9

13. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +252 / 0 / -2

My guess is that we will get a woman President this time around. Next election is a toss up between a hispanic President or gay President. The American people are going the way of the media. The more sensational it seems the more they want it. Fall of Rome.

14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I actually didn't know Rand Paul was a "crossover"....maybe liberals will vote him!;):D

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

A big problem I see for Paul, is low information voters and the media. Paul requires voters to listen, and think, whereas establishment politicians scream talking points like "take your guns!" or "war on women" to "save the children!". The run of the mill politician (and their accomplices in the media), chastise budget cutters that they don't want to educate children, or that they want to take SS away from old ladies. Look at food stamps for example, you want kids to starve dammit! Nunchucks post is a prime example of that. A poll & the media will shape Paul's words on the topic and twist into his being a racist who wants to sanction discrimination against minorities and women, whereas the real point is a deeper question of whether an individual has the right to hire whom they want to, as well as where the line on criminal discrimination should be. Pauls' problem could very well be a dumbed down electorate.

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

You can tell who hangs around dumbercrat swillground.....Daily Pus and yo'mama jones when they spead false talking points ...i forgot newscorpse zombies.

17. TB=TD

TB=TD Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The problem for Rand Paul or any other Republican candidate is how close and long their primary will be. Even Chris Christie has a shot at the nomination. Hillary is sitting at about 70% of Democratic support with Biden near 13%. Romney was also hurt by a longer than expected contest.

18. Nunchucks

Ratings:
    +223 / 12 / -7

Actually, paul's position is nuanced. He agree's with the civil rights act because it addressed a problem with the south....or also the north..but he points out the south specifically, even though segregation was happening everywhere he thinks it was only a problem with the south. ....anyway, because that problem was not being addressed by free markets, he says it was the right move

However, he also believes that discrimination is free speech and should be protected....code for "since the issue of segregation has been addressed, you can choose not to serve anybody you want."

19. TB=TD

TB=TD Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

When you start to parse discremination with a distinction it will end badly for you politically.

20. Nunchucks

Ratings:
    +223 / 12 / -7

He is trying to satisfy too many people. Sadly nuance does not work in politics.