PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Proof that it is "In BB We Trust"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyeMan

Rookie
Reaction score
This is a good article by Pat Kirwin about 1st round draft picks that earn their pay, and others that don't -

Here is a snipet of what is said:

"The top 36 players in the draft last year produced only one player with 1,000-plus plays -- Logan Mankins. There were some other rookies that combined their special-teams plays with their regular offense or defense plays to give their team its money's worth: Derrick Johnson (1,113 plays), Mankins (1,114), Pacman Jones (954), Heath Miller (945), Jammal Brown (893) and Fabian Washington (890). "

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9323077

Last edited:
The top 36 players in the draft last year produced only one player with 1,000-plus plays -- Logan Mankins. There were some other rookies that combined their special-teams plays with their regular offense or defense plays to give their team its money's worth: Derrick Johnson (1,113 plays), Mankins (1,114), Pacman Jones (954), Heath Miller (945), Jammal Brown (893) and Fabian Washington (890).
Just think if our little cowboy hadn't missed half a game for the nut-punch. ;)

Good find!!! I read a bit about Mankins before..thought he was a Patriot player...and if I had known about the Hill connection would have known he was a BB pick..even without that..he was a sure Patriot pick.

RyeMan said:
This is a good article by Pat Kirwin about 1st round draft picks that earn their pay, and others that don't -

"The top 36 players in the draft last year produced only one player with 1,000-plus plays -- Logan Mankins. There were some other rookies that combined their special-teams plays with their regular offense or defense plays to give their team its money's worth: Derrick Johnson (1,113 plays), Mankins (1,114), Pacman Jones (954), Heath Miller (945), Jammal Brown (893) and Fabian Washington (890). "

Good find! You gotta know that with the reduction in contract years, quick producing drafts are going to be high on the priority list!!

For what it's worth, and it may not be worth much. The Sporting News Draft Guide gave Mankins a "grade' of A-. They gave Kazur a grade of "A".

Maybe they downgraded Mankins just a little because of his form in giving the "nut punch".:p

PATSNUTme said:
For what it's worth, and it may not be worth much. The Sporting News Draft Guide gave Mankins a "grade' of A-. They gave Kazur a grade of "A".

Maybe they downgraded Mankins just a little because of his form in giving the "nut punch".:p
I assume that's based on value not just productivity. Kaczur certainly was decent for a 3rd round pick forced to play LT. Hopefully he's having a good offseason and can be a long term solution at one spot on the right side.

RyeMan said:

thanks for the info RyeMan......

Logan's my boyo

Attachments

• Mankins_TC.jpg
    Mankins_TC.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 454
Good find.. but ultimately certainly not a way we'd like to judge the quality of our first round picks. For example, Pacman Jones was fairly horrible but had a lot of snaps. So, yes, it does show teams that can draft players that can come straight in and play. But it's also evidential of teams drafting for needs in my opinion. Not surprising that teams that drafted in areas of needs have had players with a number of snaps (take the Lions as your example of the opposite effect).

Last edited:
I always find it interesting when I see Pats fans complaining how Belichick doesn't draft THAT well. Last years draft was excellent, and we wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as we did without their help.

Interesting that the inspiration for the article came from Keyshawn Johnson. I am warming up to Keyshawn.

Kirwan: Keyshawn Johnson made a point to me the other day when I asked him the question, "Now that you are free to talk to any team, who would want you?" The first thing he said was a team that wants a guy who plays over 1,000 plays a season every year. That point stuck with me all week.

I've long wished to know How Many Snaps Who Played.

Anyone know where Kirwan gets this information?

flutie2phelan said:
I've long wished to know How Many Snaps Who Played.

Anyone know where Kirwan gets this information?
I'd guess STATS, Inc. (We need to all pool our money and buy a subscription. ;) )

Last edited:
This thread is a good find.
We just need to understand that our franchise declined last year.
We need better FA and more talent from the draft this year.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
I assume that's based on value not just productivity. Kaczur certainly was decent for a 3rd round pick forced to play LT. Hopefully he's having a good offseason and can be a long term solution at one spot on the right side.

Im sure draft grade is related to where you were drafted.
If Mankins and Kaczur were pretty much exactly equal, Kaczurs rating would be higher becuz he was a lower pick.

PhilD said:
Good find.. but ultimately certainly not a way we'd like to judge the quality of our first round picks. For example, Pacman Jones was fairly horrible but had a lot of snaps.
Certainly true, but as you have to earn your snaps with Belichick, in our case it is a reasonable judgement of his season.

AndyJohnson said:
Im sure draft grade is related to where you were drafted.
If Mankins and Kaczur were pretty much exactly equal, Kaczurs rating would be higher becuz he was a lower pick.

The grading that I mentioned was based only performance, in their view, and not where they were drafted. They gave Ellis Hobbs a B, a good grade for him.

They gave the Patriots an A for their "5 year" draft grade. Only 2 other teams got a grade that high.

Since 2001:
All 6 of the Patriots first round draft choices are still with the team and, depending on how you look at Graham, 5 or 6 are starters: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Dan Graham, Benjamin Watson, Logan Mankins.

5 of 6 second rounders are still with the team and 3 are starters: Marquise Hill, Eugene Wilson, Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, Adrian Klemm, Matt Light.

3 of 4 third rounders are still with the team and 2 have started due to injuires: Ellis Hobbs, Gus Scott, JR Redmon, Nick Kaczur

Not too bad.

Bump. Seems like we need a little positive information here.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back