PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More on Maroney: A Chip On His Shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Maroney: A Chip On His Shoulder by Mike Petraglia from WEEI

There were murmurs about whether Maroney wanted it bad enough in New England and could his days in Foxborough be numbered. But while Brady was holding court last Thursday during an OTA attended by more media than players, Maroney told reporters that he has never heard those negative rumblings from the football staff.

“They haven’t given any negative feedback. I haven’t heard anything about it. Ask Bill and tell me what he said,” Maroney said.

Told that Coach Belichick isn’t always forthcoming about his player conversations with the media, Maroney smiled and quipped, “I guess you’ll never find that answer.”

“A lot of things people remember and it’s just getting back out there and just getting back into the mix. We’re a little rusty so we just have to keep working at it day by day.”

And now he has one more veteran back to learn from, namely Fred Taylor, who signed as a free agent in the off-season.

“He’s definitely a great back I can learn a lot from,” Maroney said. “He’s been in the league 12 years now. He’s had a lot of 1,000-yard seasons and had a lot of great success. There’s a lot of things I can learn. I’m still young.

“I was definitely a fan of his and now just being able to play with him makes it that much better,” Maroney added.

========

Maroney has a healthy outlook heading in to 2009 by Shalise Manza Young from the Providence Journal

On the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium last week, as quarterback Tom Brady was engulfed by a sea of reporters, Maroney chatted with a smaller group, though his answers seemed a bit cautious.

When the small group had dwindled to one, he appeared to relax, and a wide grin lit up his face when he was asked about his new daughter.

"Kinnedi, Feb. 13, 6:08 p.m.," the proud dad quickly rattles off the basic stats of her birth. "It was definitely a great experience, seeing your creation, something you can call your own."

Reporters and fans alike began to wonder what was troubling Maroney, and if there were off-field concerns for the St. Louis native in addition to his injury. Discussion boards filled threads debating if he's a bust or made of glass; he eventually was placed on injured reserve after playing in just three games.

But as questions swirled, Maroney wasn't able to provide many answers since New England doesn't let players discuss injuries. In a November appearance for Reebok, Maroney wouldn't let on which shoulder was hurt, whether he'd undergone surgery, or what exactly he meant when he made the "issues" comment.

All he allowed was that he was facing a long rehab for the first time in his football life, his relationship with coach Bill Belichick was fine, and he was injured against the Jets in Week Two.

========

Observations from OTA by Mike Reiss from the Boston Globe

Laurence Maroney on kickoff returns.The Patriots spent some considerable time on special teams, and when it was time for kickoff returns, running back Laurence Maroney was back as a returner. Maroney had 28 kickoff returns for 783 yards (28.0 avg.) as a rookie, but hasn’t been used in that role since. Other returners were Darius Butler, Terrence Wheatley, Julian Edelman and Terrence Nunn. Elsewhere on special teams, it was interesting to watch as the return team adjusted to the NFL’s new rules, which prohibit wedges of three players or more.

Last edited:
at first i thought a "chip on his shoulder" was referring to a new injury

at first i thought a "chip on his shoulder" was referring to a new injury
I was thinking the same thing, but if that was the case then we wouldn't find out about it until next spring.

Thanks, I hope the Pats work their running game in this year. I wouldn't mind seeing a more balanced offense every game and less "game planning".

The first article was fine, but he should read his lead before he sends it out.

Laurence Maroney knows full well many experts have given up on him.

I'm sure no "experts" have given up on a promising young 24 year old because he's had injuries.

Last edited:
As long as it's not a chip "in" his shoulder we should be okay. I hope LoMo comes out loaded for bear and has a monster year.

That sort of thing could get a man "fired"
I think he was "Hot - For - You" ..

hahah .. Austin Powers if you don't get it ..

I've always liked Maroney and I really want to see him have a good year and shut some of his haters up. I like the idea of him returning kicks too.

Our Depth at RB will allow him not to get run down, and if he gets a minor injury should be able to take a game off.. instead of aggravating it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back