PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More on Jason Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a sneaking suspicion that he ends up a Dolphin this year and the rest of his career.

If he wants to play in Miami then proceed with caution moving forward.
The key diff between this guy and Dillon/Moss/ other veterans is that they wanted/want to be here.

This guy comes in and has this 'I miss home' attitude and I'm afraid it's going to bring people down. Sure everyone misses home, but here's a guy that is a bit more vocal about it than everyone else.

If they do sign him, I make sure I get his commitment to this football team 100%.

The key diff between this guy and Dillon/Moss/ other veterans is that they wanted/want to be here.

This guy comes in and has this 'I miss home' attitude and I'm afraid it's going to bring people down. Sure everyone misses home, but here's a guy that is a bit more vocal about it than everyone else.

If they do sign him, I make sure I get his commitment to this football team 100%.

:agree:...but,the only thing that is better than a guy that wants to be here is a guy who is pissed a team didn't want him and going on a tear. If Jason doesn't want to be here and his heart is totally in another place (Miami), he shouldn't come. If he wants to be here and in Miami but is having a tough time making the decision and Miami snubs him, he should come here and play like a man possessed and show them what they missed out on;)

Last edited:

im thinking that if he was going to be a fin, he would already be....

this waiting game only leads me to suspect hell come to NE right b4 TC camp

TriplecHamp:

If you want to see Peppers in Patriot blue, you'd better find a way to convince him to sign for a first year salary cap hit of <$4M.

If Jason Taylor is not a Pat by Mini camp, then I think this notion of him joining is dead, and he will end up in Miami.. And that means he does not want to work at a championship... He rather sit home in Fla and collect a pay check from Miami who wont win a super bowl in 2 years..

All of this makes great drama and adds to his name recognition... is it all a marketing ploy???

"Sparano said the Dolphins' final decision won't be dictated by the Patriots' interest."

Yea, I'm not buying that for even ONE second.

Why proceed with caution? That's a little silly in my opinion. Taylor is still looking for that elusive Super Bowl ring and has always been a fierce competitor throughout his career. I really don't think that Miami being his first choice will affect him in the slightest if he signs here.

I don't buy the Dillon and Moss thing either. Both players were more concerned about getting out of their bad situation than where they were landing. Dillon by many accounts was a bit of a malcontent and was upset with his role after the 2004 season. Moss is definitely happy here, but even he admitted that he was willing to go to Green Bay and intrigued with playing with Favre when he was being dangled as trade bait.

I hate to say this, but there are probably a half dozen or so guys currently on the Patriots' roster, as well as, every other roster in the league who would be playing for another team if they had total control over where they were playing. I'm sure when Rodney was released that he would have rather stayed with San Deigo than go to the Patriots since he still lives in the San Deigo area. If Rodney was given the choice at the time to stay with the Chargers or go to the Pats with all the money being equal, I bet he would have stayed with the Chargers. Are you saying adding Rodney was a mistake by Belichick.

The fact of the matter is in today's NFL, there are plenty of players playing for teams that aren't their first love. Veterans like Taylor who have a decade long experience with one team are discarded when their contract gets too big for their value. The Pats have won championships with they type of players. This is the least of my worries about Taylor. The guy wants to win a championship and I have no doubt he will give his all if he is on a team that gives him that chance. I am far more concerned with his age and recent injuries what his all is left.

Last edited:
A question for those more knowledgeable on our roster than me.

Is JT worth having at 34 and coming off a season of injuries and with possible doubts about his desire?

Are we that thin at DE that he is worth the risk?

A question for those more knowledgeable on our roster than me.

Is JT worth having at 34 and coming off a season of injuries and with possible doubts about his desire?

Are we that thin at DE that he is worth the risk?

First, he would be an OLB in NE, not a DE. He played OLB in a similiar system in 2006 and 2007 and he won defensive MVP in 2006 and had 24.5 sacks in that time period.

Second, I think he could resurrect his career much like Willie McGinest did when he switched from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB under Belichick. Personally, I think Taylor's problems last year was that Dancing with the Stars probably made him be in great shape, but not good football shape. I assume this offseason he has been more focused on being in football shape (but who knows). I think him playing from an upright position rather than with his hand in the dirt (like he did with the Redskins) will help minimize injuries.

jason taylor said he wants to spend more time with hes fam so hes not going to sign with any one right a way he dose not want to be at every OTA or mini camp and all the talk of him comeing to the pats is just make the fins offer more then the one yer 1.5 millon they offerd him he was the face of the fins for a lot of yer and thats where he wants to end his career even if its only 1 millon a yer

First, he would be an OLB in NE, not a DE. He played OLB in a similiar system in 2006 and 2007 and he won defensive MVP in 2006 and had 24.5 sacks in that time period.

Second, I think he could resurrect his career much like Willie McGinest did when he switched from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB under Belichick. Personally, I think Taylor's problems last year was that Dancing with the Stars probably made him be in great shape, but not good football shape. I assume this offseason he has been more focused on being in football shape (but who knows). I think him playing from an upright position rather than with his hand in the dirt (like he did with the Redskins) will help minimize injuries.

Thanks for the reply Rob.

The fact of the matter is in today's NFL, there are plenty of players playing for teams that aren't their first love. Veterans like Taylor who have a decade long experience with one team are discarded when their contract gets too big for their value. The Pats have won championships with they type of players. This is the least of my worries about Taylor. The guy wants to win a championship and I have no doubt he will give his all if he is on a team that gives him that chance. I am far more concerned with his age and recent injuries what his all is left.

What makes you think he's a winner?
The fact he's working hard in mini camps right now?
Or because he was on dancing with the stars?

This is the biggest misconception going right now: Jason Taylor as Winner. What he has done to earn that title? He has never been on a team that won ANYTHING. He has REPEATEDLY shown that he lacks commitment. The Redskins just dumped him even though they spent a 2nd rounder on him the year before. The Dolphins have no interest in him. Just because Tom and he probably chased some tail once or twice together, and BB talks about him at press conferences, he is a "Winner"? I'm not so sure. IF he ends up playing this year, it will be for small dollars.

This is the biggest misconception going right now: Jason Taylor as Winner. What he has done to earn that title? He has never been on a team that won ANYTHING. He has REPEATEDLY shown that he lacks commitment. The Redskins just dumped him even though they spent a 2nd rounder on him the year before. The Dolphins have no interest in him. Just because Tom and he probably chased some tail once or twice together, and BB talks about him at press conferences, he is a "Winner"? I'm not so sure. IF he ends up playing this year, it will be for small dollars.

Is it Taylor's fault Rick Spielman and Randy Mueller constructed losing teams? Or that Dave Wannstedt, Cam Cameron and Nick Saban were his coaches? The Dolphins were an awful, terribly run organization for a long time; that is why they haven't won anything, not because the Hall of Fame-calibre defensive end is not a "winner."

If you're going to call Taylor a loser, say the same thing of Randy Moss.

Rodney hadn't won anything before coming to the Patriots either. Had Corey Dillon even made the playoffs with the Bungles? If so, they never went anywhere, yet he turned in a season long performance for the ages.

Do you really think in football you can blame one player for a lack of team success? This isn't basketball where one or two players can carry a team. I think it takes some fire to be a DPOY on a terrible team where your games are meaningless.

First of all, Taylor is one player. One player except maybe a QB the quality of Brady cannot make enough of a difference on his own to win anything.

Second, Taylor is a fierce competitor. You cannot prove that wrong. He has always been very competitive on and off the field.

Third, which imaginary minicamp would you want Taylor to work hard at right now? Brady isn't at this imaginary minicamp either, maybe he has lost his competitive edge. We are talking missing time in May for a 12 year veteran who is already familiar with the system, lets not go overboard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes