Welcome to PatsFans.com

More offensive holding calls this season?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Triumph, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +474 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

I think so.

The NFL's competition committee decided this spring to move the umpire from the defensive side of the ball, about five yards behind the line of scrimmage, to the offensive backfield, with the primary reason being the safety of the official. Umpires frequently found themselves in collisions with players, and several serious injuries occurred last year.

The move could negatively impact teams like the Patriots and Colts, who run the hurry-up or no-huddle offense well.

"The biggest impact is flow of the game," back judge Billy Smith explained today. "For example, in hurry up, if it's third-and-12 with the Colts, the defense has the dime package on the field, they're [Colts] trained to rush up to the line…with umpire up there, that’s probably not going to happen."

The problem is where the umpire used to be able to spot the ball at the end of a play and then back up a few yards, he now may have to run in 15 yards to spot the ball and then run back out 15 yards to re-assume his spot. If the ball is snapped before he's in place, it is a five-yard penalty. So offenses trying to catch the defense in a mismatch as far as personnel may no longer be able to pull that off.

Smith spoke to the umpire for last night's Hall of Fame game, Butch Hannah, and Hannah relayed that he saw so much more from his new position than he had being on the defensive side -- he called five holding penalties, a higher number than usual.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +941 / 3 / -4

I'd be for that. Offenses have had the advantage for the past five or six years, I'm in favor of evening it back to the defense for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.