Welcome to PatsFans.com

More offensive holding calls as a point of emphasis, good or bad for us?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Palm Beach Pats Fan, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

per PFT:

Pereira says offensive holding calls will rise in 2009 | ProFootballTalk.com

I would think that this would hurt pass protection and perhaps shift the balance a little more to the run since in run-blocking the OL is blasting people as opposed to trying to create a stable pocket. I like our ground game on paper, even though it has yet to do much in this preseason.

On the plus side I think our linemen have better technique than most teams O-linemen, thanks to Dante Scarnecchia, so maybe we come out ahead.

thoughts?
  2. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 5 / -1

Well, it is never good for the offense when they call more offensive holding calls. It will be good when we play certain teams that hold a lot an get away with it (the Colts come to mind). I hear that offensive PI will be called more too and that will be bad for Moss who gets away with pushing off a little more than he should.
  3. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I think for us it goes both goes ways....Obviously holding is better than letting Tom get whacked.

But on the defensive side our big men tend to get held because of their strength and also alot have complained about our pass rush and less holding can't hurt that.

In the end I think this point of emphasis isn't as bad as others in the past see 5 yard contact point of emphasis
  4. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +907 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Of the 177 calls that were not made, 175 were probably against the Colts offensive line. Don't look for any changes, despite the lip service.
  5. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

Personally, Pereira is full of sh!t. And I say that because if holding was going to be a point of emphasis, then why wasn't it called against the Eagles? On damn near every play, they had LeKevin Smith by the back of his jersey or under his shoulder pads.. And it wasn't called once.

What seems to be a point of emphasis is illegal formations. But the refs got those wrong last night as well... Guys seriously can't tell the difference between 6 men and 7 men on the LOS... It was ridiculous.
  6. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I hope that the emphasis brings the line-play back to what it should be. Well, my opinion of what it should be anyways. I hate watching the Pats' DLs not be able to go anywhere because they are being held so much.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.