PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More offensive holding calls as a point of emphasis, good or bad for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
per PFT:

Pereira says offensive holding calls will rise in 2009 | ProFootballTalk.com

I would think that this would hurt pass protection and perhaps shift the balance a little more to the run since in run-blocking the OL is blasting people as opposed to trying to create a stable pocket. I like our ground game on paper, even though it has yet to do much in this preseason.

On the plus side I think our linemen have better technique than most teams O-linemen, thanks to Dante Scarnecchia, so maybe we come out ahead.

thoughts?

Well, it is never good for the offense when they call more offensive holding calls. It will be good when we play certain teams that hold a lot an get away with it (the Colts come to mind). I hear that offensive PI will be called more too and that will be bad for Moss who gets away with pushing off a little more than he should.

I think for us it goes both goes ways....Obviously holding is better than letting Tom get whacked.

But on the defensive side our big men tend to get held because of their strength and also alot have complained about our pass rush and less holding can't hurt that.

In the end I think this point of emphasis isn't as bad as others in the past see 5 yard contact point of emphasis

per PFT:

I would think that this would hurt pass protection and perhaps shift the balance a little more to the run since in run-blocking the OL is blasting people as opposed to trying to create a stable pocket. I like our ground game on paper, even though it has yet to do much in this preseason.

On the plus side I think our linemen have better technique than most teams O-linemen, thanks to Dante Scarnecchia, so maybe we come out ahead.

thoughts?

Pereira said that, in breaking down video of all games from 2008, officials failed to penalize 177 holding calls. He said there were also "about 50 missed calls, for more than 220 mistakes in total."

Of the 177 calls that were not made, 175 were probably against the Colts offensive line. Don't look for any changes, despite the lip service.

per PFT:

thoughts?

Personally, Pereira is full of sh!t. And I say that because if holding was going to be a point of emphasis, then why wasn't it called against the Eagles? On damn near every play, they had LeKevin Smith by the back of his jersey or under his shoulder pads.. And it wasn't called once.

What seems to be a point of emphasis is illegal formations. But the refs got those wrong last night as well... Guys seriously can't tell the difference between 6 men and 7 men on the LOS... It was ridiculous.

I hope that the emphasis brings the line-play back to what it should be. Well, my opinion of what it should be anyways. I hate watching the Pats' DLs not be able to go anywhere because they are being held so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back