Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Obama Donation Hijinx?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInMaine, Aug 8, 2008.

1. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Studying the most recent monthly filing of Obama's FEC Report I have found something that has tweaked my curiosity. The vast majority of his donations come from individuals who do not name a state of residence.
    http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2008/M7/C00431445/A_STATE_C00431445.html

Compare this to McCain's report. McCain has no donations from "NO
    STATE WAS SUPPLIED".
    http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2008/M7/C00430470/A_STATE_C00430470.html

Considering the Obama Campaign has already admitted to accepting some $34,000 in illegal donations from a single Palestinian refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, isn't it reasonable to ask where the origins of this $21 Million came from? Does anyone have a plausible explanation?
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

On the particular matter in question, my guess is that the Obama campaign, which has received donations from more than 3,000,000 people is behind in its paperwork. I don't think there are penalties for lateness and other errors, provided they're corrected in time. Like Obama, the McCain campaign too has had to make adjustments after the fact:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wa...s/2008/08/update_mccain_returns_50000_in.html

After a report by The Post's Matthew Mosk raised questions about one of Sen. John McCain's campaign fundraisers, the GOP presidential candidate decided to return about $50,000 brought in by a Florida oil executive. The McCain campaign acknowledged that some of the funds were collected by a foreign national and came from donors who may not support the candidate.

The Post reported Wednesday that Harry Sargeant III submitted a bundle of checks for $2,300 and $4,600 on a single day in March, all of them from donors in Southern California who had never given before this year's campaign and did not appear to be likely candidates to contribute as much as $18,400 per household.

Although the contributions were credited to Sargeant, whose company has Defense Department contracts worth as much as $1.4 billion, the checks came from Americans of seemingly modest means. Donors included the manager of Riverside-area Taco Bell restaurants, a couple who at one time ran a liquor store in Colton and a Whittier auto mechanic.

The McCain campaign also sent a letter to Sargeant donors reminding them of the federal rules for contributors.
  3. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The FEC Laws require that the reports not only be timely but also accurate. The inclusion of incomplete data would appear to not be allowed. Now granted honest mistakes may be made and the penalties are not severe(return of the money) but how hard is it to not designate a state or territory for a specific donation. Should it be acceptable that a campaign approaches a rate of 50% non determinable origins of it's donations?

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/treas.shtml
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

How else do you take donations from foreign nationals?

Wow Harry .. that big bold writing feels empowering.:singing:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I think there has to be a reasonable explanation since that many donations with undeclared state would raise plenty of red flags. I'm not sure what the explanation is, but my guess it has to do with the way donations are processed.
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +620 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

The listed donations total

Listed ...... 23,561,611
    Unlisted ....21,550,546

Wow ... this isn't horseshoes is it?
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +620 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Yeah and he didn't have time to visit the wounded soldiers either.
    But ... he has an entire week to enjoy Hawaii !!!
    I wonder if he has ever visited Pearl Harbor?

I'm going to go check ... be right back ...

Yup ... he's never been there.
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0807/16/ino.01.html

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  9. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

No doubt that Obama, like McCain, has received some illegal donations that will need to be returned, and it seems likely that the Obama campaign will have a similar percent of illegal contributors as the McCain campaign. I suspect both campaigns will go through their records carefully. No doubt also that Obama has received more donations from overseas Americans than McCain. But, still, it's likely that many foreigners who have been victims of Republican foreign policy are, not knowing the rules, donating to Obama, and that money needs to be returned.

As far as the extent of the problem atlasshrugs points to, it doesn't seem too great. I found no examples of the cents issue in quick review of the first two pages of D record:

http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/can_ind/2007_P80003338/2/D/

That doesn't mean, however, that out of his 3,000,000 or so individual donations, there aren't some problem cases.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  11. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

12. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
  13. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well one thing is for sure Katie Couric and the rest of the MSM won't be looking into it.
  14. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Almost:D

Like a giant house of cards. Things are starting to get "noticed", interesting.

They have and they have made their choice. If they were still the MSJ we would have had a proper vetting and this would not even be an issue.
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +620 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Nice to see this thread bumped ... i won't have to start a new one.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - RNC to seek audit of all contributions to Obama campaign - Blogs from CNN.com

Let's see he has this issue, the birth certificate issue, his past associations with terrorists local and from abroad, hiding his college transcripts, received money for college and lied about it ... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:wha:

"Didn't have time" to write down where the money came from??? Knowing that this is a necessary item, as per the law on campaign donations, the Obama "army" of "volunteers" can't find the time?? Hey, Oprah is a multi-billionaire, the richest woman in America, and she's Obama's main home-girl -- she could hire an entire accounting firm to keep the books for O-bama!!!

Cop: "Why'd you stab her?"
    OJ: "I didn't stab her. She fell on my knife."

//
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, you can bet the farm on that.

//