Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Nukes Please

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Mar 7, 2006.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, but we can trust the industry to police themselves and clean it up, they have only our best interests in mind. ;)

3. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is no question. The nuclear industry has an impeccable track record of full disclosure.

During the commissioning of the Seabrook Plant, there was a guy I knew who had caused quite a scuff with John Sununuke (Bushs Chief of Staff) for withholding documents obtained from a whistleblower inspector at the plant. The inspector had proof (x-ray scans) of deficiencies in construction showing deficient welds.

Don't know whatever happened to him, but the WH was using subpoena power to try to shut him down, charging him something like $10,000 per day for every day he refused to turn over the x-rays.

Nothing has ever come of it as far as I know. But his grassroots org has since been terminated.

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Boy, you're really missing the point, AAB. We don't need "whistleblowers" to gather "facts" when we already have a White House that works together with the industry to ensure all of our safety.

Heh, this is fun, I see why conservatives do it.

5. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My buddy lives over there. He works at the plant. He is the safety inspector. His name is...

Homer J Simpson.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No, but I know about a lot more people and their kids who live near coal and/or oil fueled power plants. Care to know what the level of mercury is in their blood. Anyone wonder why there has been, by some estimates, a 600% rise in autism and other neurological defects in the last half century? How about the wars fought for oil? How many have died or been injured for our dependence on oil?

You gotta face up to the options we have left. There aren't many, and to say "nukes are bad" - and they are - doesn't show the whole picture. We need to develop new, safer nuclear plants and de-commission the old ones like the piece of junk you cite here. Until we figure out an alternative, we don't have a lot of choices. And this from a former high-schooler who was at the Seabrook demonstrations.

7. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Oh, I could meet pro-nukes half way on this under the following conditions: 1) we have an agreed upon repository for waste 2) we have a publically transparent, independant periodical review of operations at all plants and 3) we have a security apparatus in place to safeguard them and the waste routes and repository.

Are these conditions out of line? (and please don't say they are too expensive)