PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More McDaniels and BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Broncos' 'clear focus' has Team Turmoil at 4-0 - Albert Breer, Sporting News - NFL - Sporting News

The seeds for the Broncos' success were planted in New England—McDaniels has compared his trade of Cutler to Belichick cutting popular veteran safety Lawyer Milloy before the 2003 title season, using that experience as a guide—and really took root last year.

After McDaniels declined interviews for head coach openings in Baltimore and Atlanta in January '08, Belichick took his young assistant's experience to the next level, giving him insight into things (salary cap, draft, contracts, personnel decisions) that coordinators wouldn't normally get. That provided the foundation for the overall structure of his Denver regime, with Brian Xanders his hand-picked GM and ex-Patriots scouts Keith Kidd and Matt Russell trusted to lead the search for system-specific players.

"My hope is Bill knows I was working my butt off for him," McDaniels said. "I know he was trying to help me, even though it might not help him, because it would eventually lead to me leaving."

And so here we are, McDaniels leading his undefeated Broncos into an AFC showdown with the Patriots on Sunday afternoon, where one team full of tough, smart, versatile players faces another. It's no mistake, either, that McDaniels knows what's possible with that kind of group.

Win or lose, I like the fact that McDaniels is thriving after most regarded him as done before he even coached his first NFL game. Call me proud.

I love this....

If u treat BB the right way, the guy will help u til the end....just as he did McDaniels

if BB wanted he could have made McDaniels have to learn some of this crap on the job....but he taught it himself

i can easily mention anohter past coordinator who prob didnt stick around long enough for that second lesson.....and not suprisingly he has the exact opposite record of Josh....

i always liked and believed in Josh, but after the tumulous start at Denver i didnt think he was gonna get anywhere this year....i was wrong

still though, BB has some tricks up his sleeve this week

I thnk this in a way good for BB . It is good to start your own coaching tree and i for one would have hated to see all BB coaching tree guys being failures.

Maginius what bull.

I love this....

If u treat BB the right way, the guy will help u til the end....just as he did McDaniels

if BB wanted he could have made McDaniels have to learn some of this crap on the job....but he taught it himself

i can easily mention anohter past coordinator who prob didnt stick around long enough for that second lesson.....and not suprisingly he has the exact opposite record of Josh....

i always liked and believed in Josh, but after the tumulous start at Denver i didnt think he was gonna get anywhere this year....i was wrong

still though, BB has some tricks up his sleeve this week

Well said, all of it.

I'm rooting for Josh. Bronocs have now become my very VERY distant second-favorite team.

I'm sure BB and Josh are pretty good friends all year long, except for 1 possibly 2 days out of the year, this year...

...and on those days, I hope BB fully uses what he didn't show McD, and crushes that team and all the former pats (and every other player they have on the field) on it along the way. :singing:

Last edited:
more
Josh McDaniels takes Bill Belichick's lessons into Sunday showdown - Jim Trotter - SI.com

"It is going to be special for me in that I'm going to relish the opportunity to try to get ready to play and beat a team that I was a part of for eight years, a team that I respect so much," he said last Sunday, after the Broncos improved to 4-0 for the first time since 2003 with a thrilling 17-10 victory over the Cowboys. "I'm forever indebted to the Patriots for what they did for me and for what they've allowed my family to accomplish in terms of my professional career."

It is a career that was aided greatly by New England coach Bill Belichick, who gave McDaniels his first NFL job in 2001. While climbing from personnel assistant to coaching assistant to quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator, McDaniels, now 33, absorbed many of the Belichick's teachings and adopted many of his football principles. You can see it in how the Broncos run practice, evaluate personnel, write scouting reports, and attack opponents on offense and defense with situational football. They're all so ... so ... New England-like.

Still, perhaps the most important lessons McDaniels learned came in February 2008, two weeks after the Patriots' quest for an undefeated season ended with a 17-14 loss to the Giants in Super Bowl XLIII. When the coaches returned from a two-week break, Belichick called McDaniels into his office and handed him a five-page, typed report on what it takes to be an effective coach and have a winning organization.

"I had been talking to Bill for a few years about being a head coach, and after I didn't do any interviews during the bye week in the '07 playoffs he said, 'I will help you in any way I can to get you ready for all the other things that go into the job,'" McDaniels said. "Just being around him every day was going to help me from a football standpoint because I could see what he did and how he did it. But he was saying he would help me with some of the things that you won't really get a chance to witness or understand or become knowledgeable about until you're in that position.

"I remember when we first came back after our break, that very first day, that very first morning, he brought me into his office and he gave me five pages, typed, of all the topics and things that he felt like I needed to be educated about to become an effective head coach. I'm thinking to myself, here he's got 10 or 12 days where he can do whatever in the hell he wants to do -- we've just come off a season where we were 16-0 and lost in the Super Bowl -- and the very first day back he gives me this? That was kind of like my bible."

.......and with what BB does is why people will bust through walls and walk on fire for the guy. If you give him everything you got and are loyal to him, he will reciprocate and offer the same loyalty back.

Any good manager or leader of people who is secure in their role or position would do the same thing.

I am a Bronco fan and new to these boards. Just skimming through some of these threads it seems like the majority here have a lot of respect for McD. I don't know if it was the way he went about things in NE or how he left, which seems to be on good terms, but for the most part he gets a lot of props. When he first arrived in Denver I was skeptical admittedly, especially after the Cutler fiasco. But shortly after I began to see what he was trying to build. A team first attitude where no one individual is above anyone else, and Cutler definitely didn't fit the mold. This team is playing for one another and for their coach and that has translated to wins. I never really liked Belichek personally but I respect the hell out of him as did Shanahan, and he obviously took McD under his wing and showed him a lot. I hope their relationship doesn't sour like it did with Mangini, and maybe they will see each other in the post season. I also wanted to say for the most part a lot of you have been giving the Broncos respect , more so than other fans anyway. So props to you guys for that.

I am a Bronco fan and new to these boards. Just skimming through some of these threads it seems like the majority here have a lot of respect for McD. I don't know if it was the way he went about things in NE or how he left, which seems to be on good terms, but for the most part he gets a lot of props. When he first arrived in Denver I was skeptical admittedly, especially after the Cutler fiasco. But shortly after I began to see what he was trying to build. A team first attitude where no one individual is above anyone else, and Cutler definitely didn't fit the mold. This team is playing for one another and for their coach and that has translated to wins. I never really liked Belichek personally but I respect the hell out of him as did Shanahan, and he obviously took McD under his wing and showed him a lot. I hope their relationship doesn't sour like it did with Mangini, and maybe they will see each other in the post season. I also wanted to say for the most part a lot of you have been giving the Broncos respect , more so than other fans anyway. So props to you guys for that.

The Broncos deserve all the respect we're giving them. They're 4-0 and have been playing stellar defense, despite the fact that everyone had written them and McD off before the season began. Its too bad Mangini didn't stick around and show some loyalty to BB, I'm sure that BB would have shown him what he showed McD.

As you know, Mangini was a BB protege' but left to go to BBs sworn enemy (Jets). On the way out the door Mangini went behind BB and recruited scouts, coaches (Brian Daboll), players, etc. In turn pats security put his office belongings in some boxes and locked his office. He crossed BB. Bad move.

From what I gather, McD did everthing above board and asked BB about coaches, players, etc. while at the same time maintaining BBs trust. I

Besides Dimitroff, every coach and FO has had a rocky go of it once they left NE. I am genuinely glad for McD. He has done everything right in moving along to Den.

McDaniels was already ahead of Mangini when Mangini left. Word was in 2005 that McDaniels was the real star although Mangini got all the hype. McDaniels followed Belichick's advice and didn't rush to take his first job while Mangini went for the first job he was offered. So far, it looks like McDaniels did it the smart way.

You could see how much more responsibility Belichick increasingly gave McDaniels almost to a point where Belichick spent most of his time when the offense was on the field with his back turned while working with the defense. I think this progression really helped him become a head coach.

McDaniels could have his one year of good fortune (and I guess become McGenius) before hitting the skids like Mangini, but I think his future is brighter since he stayed to learn more under Belichick. I don't think he will repeat Belichick's success, but he won't be a 3 and out head coach either like Mangini was in New York.

Keep all that in mind when the Broncos start dropping games during the upcoming stretch.

I HOPE Bill is pleasant to McDaniels WIN or LOSE.

JM was an awesome coordinator and as much as I like BB (which is a **** load) I hope he doesn't ignore or give him a half ass hand shake at the end. JM deserves a better recognition. **** everybody else but Josh. He better get the respect of Bill.

JM was an awesome coordinator and as much as I like BB (which is a **** load) I hope he doesn't ignore or give him a half ass hand shake at the end. JM deserves a better recognition. **** everybody else but Josh. He better get the respect of Bill.

What i thought was an interesting storyline was when going for the Ravens job, BB wrote a letter of recomendation for John Harbaugh. not trying to read too much into it, but the postgame handshake was icy. I chalk it up to Harbaugh being BS after the loss.

I fully expect McD and BB to be cordial after the game.

besides espn, who....cares....about....the handshake. one of the biggest non-stories in the history of non-stories about bb and the pats.

besides espn, who....cares....about....the handshake. one of the biggest non-stories in the history of non-stories about bb and the pats.

agreed. BuT BILL should show at least a little respect for his old O-Coordinator. Like I said, **** everybody else.

One thing. Mangini is definitely a douche, but why is he demonized more than McKid for signing ex-Pats players or ex-Pats personnel people?

By all accounts, McDaniels has taken multiple people from our scouting, coaching, and administrative departments, on top of a few players too.

One thing. Mangini is definitely a douche, but why is he demonized more than McKid for signing ex-Pats players or ex-Pats personnel people?

By all accounts, McDaniels has taken multiple people from our scouting, coaching, and administrative departments, on top of a few players too.

He didnt go behind BB's back to do it. He talked to him about who wasnt going to be promoted and BB gave his blessing to approach them about opportunties for advancement w/ Denver. Plus there was adequete transition time put in place as not to have a hughe impact on draft preperations. Big difference. Pioli did the same thing.

Mangini went the scorched earth route, poached and raided and has been smouldering in his own ashes since.....

Last edited:
Keep all that in mind when the Broncos start dropping games during the upcoming stretch.

I don't expect the Broncos to go 16 and 0 or anything, hell I honestly didn't think we would be 4 and 0, but I'll take it and I'll enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. When they lose I will still be as big a fan as when they win, just not as happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes