Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 71 89.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well look here...

62-7, Brady running away with it.

Once again another anti-Sox thread started by the loud minority. I swear, it seems like a felony to some on here to be either Bostonian or a Red Sox fan.

PatsSaintsSox said:
ok...

Pedro - Theo was right not to give pay-dro the 4 year 50,000,000 dollar contract. While Pedro had a great year with the mets, he still has 2 more years on his deal, and he was already injured at the end of last season...not to mention the pedro being pedro stuff...is he an amazing pitcher? yes, is he going to the hall of fame? yes...but he is going to be 38 at the end of the last year in the contract, if that is even how old he is... and according to a med school friend i have, he has a 20% chance of not being able to start, or even pitch by the 3rd year, or 2007 - because of his shoulder injury history.

Theo - Theo in my opinion is an above average GM. He is very good at evaluating young talent, just look at the sox farm system since he has been here, it went to Yankees caliber to that of probably the marlins, who have an above average minor league system...guys like Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, and Hansen don’t just come from out of thin air and apear in a minor league system, they have to be scouted and drafted. Theo points the scouts in that direction to look at those guys. In past years (before theo) the sox just picked the best power hitter in the first rounds, if they even had a first round pick (comp for the team that they got a FA from). Where as now, they take the best players available, be it a pitcher, power hitter, contact hitter, or a more well rounded player with no specific strengths, but good in all tool areas (fielding, hitting for power, speed, contact hitting, and throwing)...its unlike the football draft, because those players can step in and help right away...see logan mankins...where as with baseball, you have to have the foresight to look down the road and see where you will need help in say 3-5 years...

Cordero - Will Cordero wasn't here when theo was i don't think...i could be wrong but he is the only cordero that may have been here when theo was here in early 2003, but i thought he was long gone by then...i cant think of and other cordero right now that the sox had.

Rentererror - ok renteria was a bad signing, i would have preferred theo signed OC but that’s just me. I like a great fielding, decent hitting SS, but Edgar was a great fielder, and a great hitter that could fill the 2 hole in the BO. We all know what happened there, and theo had the guts to swallow his pride and trade renteria and cut his losses with him (Gammons said that theo was leading that whole trade with Atlanta for Marte - who is one of the best prospects in baseball)

all right...i think that’s everything for now...

First off Pedro was only 33 when he signed his Mets contract, and he was suppose to breaking down than. All he did was throw for over 200 innings. get over 200Ks, That season alone gets the sox at least the AL east last year. And that is the Boston Globe spin on how Pedro will break down, well 4 years from now, when he is still one of the best pitchres in basbeball, than it would have been a bad contract not at 33. And what do the Sox care if they have to carry a bloated contract of a player who breaks down a year before his contract . Last year they carried Shillings and Foulks contract for a year. because you only have so many shots at the brass ring, so if you have to pay for an extra wasted year you did. There is no cap in basbeall, the team makes more money than god, and its not like ticket prices werent going up for the fans anyways.

Sorry for my Cordero comment, I think you know I ment Cabrera, this is a message board, so I am sorry for not proofing my post. The fact that Edgar replaced him was dumb enough, especially when they knew of his fragile mental makeup, and what a city like Boston would do to him.

I noticed you didnt bring up the complete lack of a 1st or 2nd baseman last year that never got addressed, the horrible bullpen signings, and bringing in no starter help. They replaced Pedro with Fat Wells, Clement, and Wade Miller.

How about trading your 4th outfielder in Payton for a horrible reliever coming off an injury. I know Payton cried and made Franconas life miserable. But the sox have as fragile as glass right fielder in Nixon (who I hate), who you knew was bound for the DL eventually. A center fielder who runs into walls, and has broken down in the 2nd half 2 seasons in a row, and a left fielder who likes to take days off. The 4th outfielder on the sox is practically a starter, and they traded him away, headache or no headache, at least replace him with a warm body that can help you.
Yeah the farm system is great until it bears fruit I will hold my judgement, I remember the sox in the early 90s had the best farm system in the league, with a bunch of can't misses, that all missed. Right now there are no home grown Red Sox on the team outside of Nixon, who was drafted in 93. I lhink Pabelbon will be a good pitcher, but who knows.

To say anything but he is a bad GM, you are just drinking the cool aid. Not to mention he has the easiest job a GM has, he can spend more than twice as much as his competitors, yet did he get a 1st or 2nd baseman or pitching? he has 120Mil payroll, any idiot GM can run a team with a payroll like that, when 2/3 of the league have payrolls half that much or lower. he is poor GM bottom line.

Sorry Pats fans, this is why too much sox talk, onto a real sport, played by a real team, with a real GM.

you guys think theo is more loved then Brady????? You guys are on crack... Fricken Theo doesnt even play the game....

Sox may be the more popular team in Boston. But BRADY IS THE BIGGER STAR!!! The kid is on the same level of Bird and Orr...and you guys say Theo is loved more??? I think Belichick is more loved then Theo...

Like I said...Baseball town or not....3 Super Bowls is a hell of alot more better and acheiving then 1 world series title. And if you guys dont beleive that..then get the **** out of every Patriots messege board and never post again, cuz your not a true fan

ENFORCER said:
you guys think theo is more loved then Brady????? You guys are on crack... Fricken Theo doesnt even play the game....

Sox may be the more popular team in Boston. But BRADY IS THE BIGGER STAR!!! The kid is on the same level of Bird and Orr...and you guys say Theo is loved more??? I think Belichick is more loved then Theo...

Like I said...Baseball town or not....3 Super Bowls is a hell of alot more better and acheiving then 1 world series title. And if you guys dont beleive that..then get the **** out of every Patriots messege board and never post again, cuz your not a true fan

With that said..i do think Theo is a great GM...but cmon guys...its F***N TOM BRADY!!!

Seymour93 said:
62-7, Brady running away with it.

Once again another anti-Sox thread started by the loud minority. I swear, it seems like a felony to some on here to be either Bostonian or a Red Sox fan.

Amen.....

I'm a Sox fan...a very, very distant second and would even be bumped to third if the Bruins would ever do anything again and I could see some games out here in Phoenix. Theo - Brady? Not even close...so everyone hates how the media covers the two teams oh well, you could be in Phoenix and have a local rag that covers nothing of substance and NO Boston team news. The Boston MEDIA pushes the Sox and some don't like that, they aren't going to change, so turn it off or don't buy it. Why does some reporters opinion of the team matter? I really could care less if I could read rehashes or opinions on the Pats or Sox. I like to form my own opinions thank you. I guess the Sox put out a 10 page press release of Theo coming back? If so, why would anyone read it? I'm glad he is back as I think he is a good GM, but I wouldn't read any article on it after knowing how many years he signed a contract for...I just don't get why everyone gets in such a tizzy over this...can people actually like the Red Sox and not get jumped on because the Boston media is owned by the Red Sox and thier is a lack of Pats news...here is a flash...they have this new thing called the INTERNET and you can find almost anything you want to read on it somewhere....heck I've found this forum to be plenty of information for my Pats fix all year long.

Peter Pat said:
First off Pedro was only 33 when he signed his Mets contract, and he was suppose to breaking down than. All he did was throw for over 200 innings. get over 200Ks, That season alone gets the sox at least the AL east last year. And that is the Boston Globe spin on how Pedro will break down, well 4 years from now, when he is still one of the best pitchres in basbeball, than it would have been a bad contract not at 33. And what do the Sox care if they have to carry a bloated contract of a player who breaks down a year before his contract . Last year they carried Shillings and Foulks contract for a year. because you only have so many shots at the brass ring, so if you have to pay for an extra wasted year you did. There is no cap in basbeall, the team makes more money than god, and its not like ticket prices werent going up for the fans anyways.

Sorry for my Cordero comment, I think you know I ment Cabrera, this is a message board, so I am sorry for not proofing my post. The fact that Edgar replaced him was dumb enough, especially when they knew of his fragile mental makeup, and what a city like Boston would do to him.

I noticed you didnt bring up the complete lack of a 1st or 2nd baseman last year that never got addressed, the horrible bullpen signings, and bringing in no starter help. They replaced Pedro with Fat Wells, Clement, and Wade Miller.

How about trading your 4th outfielder in Payton for a horrible reliever coming off an injury. I know Payton cried and made Franconas life miserable. But the sox have as fragile as glass right fielder in Nixon (who I hate), who you knew was bound for the DL eventually. A center fielder who runs into walls, and has broken down in the 2nd half 2 seasons in a row, and a left fielder who likes to take days off. The 4th outfielder on the sox is practically a starter, and they traded him away, headache or no headache, at least replace him with a warm body that can help you.
Yeah the farm system is great until it bears fruit I will hold my judgement, I remember the sox in the early 90s had the best farm system in the league, with a bunch of can't misses, that all missed. Right now there are no home grown Red Sox on the team outside of Nixon, who was drafted in 93. I lhink Pabelbon will be a good pitcher, but who knows.

To say anything but he is a bad GM, you are just drinking the cool aid. Not to mention he has the easiest job a GM has, he can spend more than twice as much as his competitors, yet did he get a 1st or 2nd baseman or pitching? he has 120Mil payroll, any idiot GM can run a team with a payroll like that, when 2/3 of the league have payrolls half that much or lower. he is poor GM bottom line.

Sorry Pats fans, this is why too much sox talk, onto a real sport, played by a real team, with a real GM.
You are right about first base, but how was theo going to know millar would be garbage, he got worse in every offensive cat. from the year before. It wasn't that he dropped off slightly, it was a radical change, fewer hits, fewer homeruns, he was just bad

Jay Payton - while he is a solid player, he had some issues, and if he were patient, he would have been playing a lot more. he was promised to have 300-400 ABs by sox brass. He would have had them easy if he relaxed for a few more weeks, and he would have gotten them with the sox. You cannot ignore the fact that Chad Bradford was one of the best set-up men in baseball from 2002-2004 and he was coming back from an injury...obviously he was not as effective, but nobody could have known that

Cordero, i checked, and he was in the sox system in 2002, and he was playing shortstop, so how is it stupid to think you meant somebody else? There are Will Cordero homers out there...

The System - in the 90s they had people like Nomar, who was nothing short of amazing before his wrist injury. They had Carl Pavano who was drafted in 2003 but went on to trade him for pedro, and imo that was a great trade for the sox. They had Adam Everet (SS for the Astros) who has had a decent career. We all know about trot nixon. And Jeff Suppan is a solid pitcher in the NL, even though he cant pitch in the AL. And lastly, Dernell Stenson, who was amazing, he was drafted in 1996 then he got murdered. So that shows that while the system was good, they just traded all there prospects away for players in the majors which was basically the policy of that regime. Looking over the prospects from the early 1990s there are a lot of solid players there...but many of them ended up on other teams because they got traded away.

2nd base was not awful - Graff was a good 2nd baseman, and theo got him for pretty much nothing, chip (the guy we traded to get him) has a high ceiling, but the likelihood of him getting there is pretty slim, the sox needed a 2nd baseman who could bat 2nd and that is what they did. Graff was one of the better 2nd basemen in the league when he was with the sox, he hit something like .313 for them...your not going to get much hitting from your 2nd basemen and hitting wise, i think theo could not have done better. How can you argue that he should have know MB would be soooo bad and only hit .230 and hit for no power? He had one of the better OBPs in the majors in 2004, one would think it would be there for 2005 right?

Bullpen – Foulke was an ace in the pen in 2004 but sucked in 2005. Those types of radical drop-offs can not be predicted, it was thought by annalists that he would not have done as well as in 2004, but to have like 6 blown saves in like 24 appearances is kind of ridiculous. You would have to be a seer to predict that. Matt Mantei was a high reward low risk signing, he was given an incentive deal so if he was good, he would be rewarded, and if he sucked, he would only be paid like $700,000. It was the same situation as wade miller. The kids were good in the pen, and Hansen looks pretty nasty.

To say baseball is not a real sport is just childish…you shouldn’t say something like that because obviously it is…have you ever played baseball, if you have, you would know how physically difficult it is. To say that it is not a real sport is pretty ignorant. SP is one of the greatest GMs in the game, im not taking that away from him either, im saying theo is above average...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back