PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More intriguing prospect into 2013 - Ballard, Demps or Bequette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demps. Bethel Johnson (I know, bringing up his name doesn't help make the case) had great pure speed and was a good KR. But BJ had no wiggle to his run. In pre-season, the few times I saw Demps, he had incredible speed and some wiggle as well. He could be a very good KR.

If Demps can do more than KR, it's an added bonus. Putting him on the outside for a play or two could put the fear of God in CBs. Play him close and miss the jam, you're not going to catch him. Play off and you leave him open for a quick sideline pass, and you'd better make that tackle. That's what speed and wiggle do for him, even if he's not a good pass catcher or route runner.

Whether he can actually do any of these things on the field remains to be seen, but there's no doubt he's the most intriguing of the three.

3 players stand out to me as guys who were with the team last year but played little to none in 2012 due to injury or depth....these guys are Jeff Demps,Jake Ballard and Jake Bequette

Which one is most intriguing to you in regards to his talent at his position?

I chose Bequette as I see him helping our an anemic pass rush,I don't know if Demps or Ballard will even make the team.

Maybe I live in a fantasy land but I Rasi Dowling is the most interesting prospect for this coming season. His first 2 games in the 2011 season were very impressive and I think the hip issue has destroyed everything since. If he is healthy I think he will be a starter and a lockdown CB.

Maybe I live in a fantasy land but I Rasi Dowling is the most interesting prospect for this coming season. His first 2 games in the 2011 season were very impressive and I think the hip issue has destroyed everything since. If he is healthy I think he will be a starter and a lockdown CB.

for a guy thats had 2 injury plagued season out of 2 potential season, i put ZERO weight into Ras-I-Glass. To me hes a wasted roster spot

for a guy thats had 2 injury plagued season out of 2 potential season, i put ZERO weight into Ras-I-Glass. To me hes a wasted roster spot

I have a hard time penalizing a player for being injured.

I think people are going to be reaaaaallly disappointed with Demps. I'd be surprised if his highlight of the year is any better than a 40 year KR.

Bequette showed absolutely nothing this past season. He's starting off worse than Cunningham and Cunningham hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Ballard has already proven he's NFL ready. Is a very good blocker and was able to make plays with Eli "mr inaccurate" Manning throwing him the ball.

Ballard will have a 50 catch, 700 yard season as the Jumbo Spread takes over the NFL.

...or Gronk/Hernandez inevitably get hurt and he becomes a starter.

A lockdown CB? When the dude play he contributed to the Patriots being the worst secondary in the NFL. He had one good play in the end zone against Marshall. He also gave up a huge pass to Hartline. I'll be shocked if Dowling makes the team again this year, he barely played even when he was healthy in 2012.

But you don't have an isuse calling someone a lockdown CB who has done nothing yet?

But you don't have an isuse calling someone a lockdown CB who has done nothing yet?

I said I think he could be. He has the talent and the size to develop into that type of CB. I am optimistic not pessimistic sorry if that bothers you.

A lockdown CB? When the dude play he contributed to the Patriots being the worst secondary in the NFL. He had one good play in the end zone against Marshall. He also gave up a huge pass to Hartline. I'll be shocked if Dowling makes the team again this year, he barely played even when he was healthy in 2012.

He has really only played in 2 games as a pro prior to the hip injury. He was very good in both and showed great potential. Did he make rookie mistakes yes but how can you determine a players worth with such a small sample size enough to say he won't make the team?

There will be no penalty. Either Dowling will be able to play well enough to make the team, or he will be cut.

There will be no penalty. Either Dowling will be able to play well enough to make the team, or he will be cut.

His contract is cheap, I doubt he's cut outright

I believe he actually costs more to cut than to keep, although the amount of the difference is insignificant (about $83,500 according to Jason). That's why I think he'll make it into camp unless he's a cripple. From there, I doubt the contract is going to matter.

I agree that Dowling will be kept through camp (risking paying him another year of IR). His fate will likely be determined in the last cuts.

I believe he actually costs more to cut than to keep, although the amount of the difference is insignificant (about $83,500 according to Jason). That's why I think he'll make it into camp unless he's a cripple. From there, I doubt the contract is going to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back