PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More interesting tidbits from chargers/colts game

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
'Hot and healthy' flies out the playoff window - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

But what I really want to point out is that on Nate Kaeding’s 26-yard field goal that tied the game with 33 seconds left in regulation, San Diego’s Dave Binn – a 15-year veteran who may well be the best long snapper in NFL history – flipped the ball between his legs with a hauntingly low trajectory, an uncharacteristic slip that could’ve spelled disaster for San Diego and propelled Dungy’s team into the next round.

The holder who fielded it cleanly and, in one motion, placed it down so perfectly that Kaeding didn’t even realize the snap had been off-target? Ladies and gentlemen, Mike Scifres.

Then came the overtime coin toss, where hot and healthy took a backseat to lucky. The captains came to midfield, and Manning, before making the call, deferred to teammate Darrell Reid, who chose heads.

Up in a luxury suite, the quarterback’s wife felt her stomach drop.

“I don’t know why he did that,” Ashley Manning said afterward. “Peyton always picks tails.”

The coin came up tails, and 68,082 fans erupted, and San Diego defensive tackle Jamal Williams, who was also at midfield, yelled “Game over!”

It wasn’t quite that simple, but after a couple of key plays and three defensive penalties, San Diego was at the Indy 20, well within Kaeding’s range.

Now Dungy was helpless, and Turner, San Diego’s embattled coach, had a decision to make. On first-and-10 he ran Sproles off left tackle, and the halfback was slammed for a two-yard loss by linebacker Clint Session.

What next? Should Turner go ahead and send in Kaeding on second down? Should he run another play, and if so, what? There was a lot of hemming and hawing on the sidelines, and suddenly Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers was in Turner’s field of vision.

“Iso! Iso! Iso!” Rivers screamed at his coach, urging Turner to call a running play that would isolate the speedy Sproles against an Indy linebacker off left end.

Turner obliged, and then Sproles was alone in space, where he burst forward and made a sweet inside cutback. Then he was in the end zone and the Chargers were in the divisional round (they’ll play the Steelers in Pittsburgh next Sunday) and Dungy, whose team won the Super Bowl as a No. 3 seed two years ago, was entering that dark decompression zone that may push him toward retirement.

As one of the NFL’s best pass rushers of his generation, the Colts’ Dwight Freeney believes that he is held by opposing pass blockers “every single damn play.” Let that serve as a backdrop to the utter disgust the Pro Bowl defensive end displayed as we walked to Indy’s team bus outside Qualcomm on Saturday night over the trio of penalties called against the Colts’ defense that helped facilitate San Diego’s winning touchdown drive in overtime. The rundown: Second-and-4 from the San Diego 43 – Sproles is stopped for no gain, but Eric Foster is called for defensive holding. Third-and-8 from the Indy 40 – Rivers throws incomplete to Chris Chambers, but cornerback Tim Jennings, who helped break up the pass, is called for defensive holding. Next play, first-and-10 at the Colts’ 35 – Sproles is stopped for no gain, but Session, who made the tackle, is whistled for a 15-yard facemask penalty. In my opinion it could be argued that any of the three penalties was justified, and a case could be made that each was unwarranted. But to have all three of them called in that context was regrettable, and the fact that the Chargers were only penalized three times all game (and only once on offense, for an ineligible man downfield) makes it even worse. In Freeney’s opinion, the flurry of calls that helped end his season was flat-out unconscionable. “Those were the worst [expletive] calls I’ve seen in a long time,” he said. “To have a game of that magnitude taken out of your hands, it’s just disgusting. It’s not like they made one [expletive] bad call – it’s three calls, in overtime. On one the ball’s 50 feet over [Chambers’] head. And they have the nerve to call defensive holding? When they can’t even call one friggin’ offensive holding the whole game? What’s going on? They need to start investigating some other [expletive].”

Colts complaining about getting screwed by flags is precious.

I heard the "Game Over" comment while watching the game. Surprising that the classy Chargers would say something like that.

As for Freeney biatching, he and his Colts got into the Super Bowl and eventually won because in large part that the Pats were flagged with a penalty that wasn't even on the books anymore when they called it (Hobbs' face guarding) which instead of a long field goal attempt game the Colts a first and goal at the 1. If it was a bad call, I'd say it was a make up call.

Hey, that face-mask call was very correct. You could see the hand reach out, grab the face mask and swing the head around.

The Defensive holding call was pretty blatant as well.

In the end, I find it the greatest of hypocrisy that the vaunted Colts are complaining about being jobbed by the refs, when Polian's angels have benefited from an excess of calls for years. I hope Polian gets so worked up that his veins burst. Man's a gutter-runner of the first order.

Hey, that face-mask call was very correct. You could see the hand reach out, grab the face mask and swing the head around.

In the end, I find it the greatest of hypocrisy that the vaunted Colts are complaining about being jobbed by the refs, when Polian's angels have benefited from an excess of calls for years. I hope Polian gets so worked up that his veins burst. Man's a gutter-runner of the first order.

I think the Colts are just so used to being bailed out by poor officiating that, when the correct calls are finally made they feel like they're being screwed over.

Yes, rich that they are *****ing. Who doesn't *****? You guys were pissed when we *****ed about '03. But yet it is okay for you all to ***** about the AFCCG. I think what Freeney is saying is that those calls, in the context of how the game was called, was shocking. Session Face mask? Sure. But the defensive holding is something that, on the other side of the ball, happens all the time. The ball that was clearly over the receiver's head was the most egregious, and the one that hurt the most, as that was a 3rd down and long, well out of FG range. Not sure why they never flag an O-Lineman for shoving their hand up Freeney's face mask. Maybe because of the under move that Freeney tries (Like punching someone's fist with your face). Maybe they are saying Freeney PUTS himself in that position (Like a defender turning his back on a blocker, they don't call block in the back). I don't THINK that is right or correct, but in any event, not going to ***** too much about the calls, other than to say they certainly did not let the players determine the outcome. Should never been in that spot to begin with. Are Winters and Coleman related??

I heard the "Game Over" comment while watching the game. Surprising that the classy Chargers would say something like that.

As for Freeney biatching, he and his Colts got into the Super Bowl and eventually won because in large part that the Pats were flagged with a penalty that wasn't even on the books anymore when they called it (Hobbs' face guarding) which instead of a long field goal attempt game the Colts a first and goal at the 1. If it was a bad call, I'd say it was a make up call.

And the Troy Brown offensive pass interference (joke call) and the non-call on Hayden's rape of Reche Caldwell in the end zone.

100% agree. The only latitude that I give Freeney is that he made those claims while leaving the stadium. He probably hadn't seen a replay of those penalties yet to see that they were legitimate.

I'm not asking this to be snide (well, maybe a little), but when was the last time a Patriot player went off about the officiating like this? I can't remember anything recent like that, but that's probably just me.

100% agree. The only latitude that I give Freeney is that he made those claims while leaving the stadium. He probably hadn't seen a replay of those penalties yet to see that they were legitimate.

I'm not asking this to be snide (well, maybe a little), but when was the last time a Patriot player went off about the officiating like this? I can't remember anything recent like that, but that's probably just me.

isnt it funny that all these so called classy teams complain the most but the pats without saying anything are villified ?i remember the outcry for support for mr classy when he cried about someone celebrating a sack dance but not a single ripping of lendale white and bulluck stomp on the steeler towel. both were non stories but the bb is classless crap got so winded up then but nothing about jeff fisher.

i thought it was rivers that had said "game over". i guess it was williams.

I give Freeney some latitude because when I've watched him I've felt he does get held a lot more often than is called.

A few had something to say about the Pollard hit on Brday, but I can't recall much of anything since then.

I give Freeney some latitude because when I've watched him I've felt he does get held a lot more often than is called.

You're right. I should have specified that I was referring to his opinion on the 3 penalty calls against the Colts.

Freeney is held more often than is called. Of course, every good pass rusher feels that way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots