PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More insanity about the Sawx

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Red Sox traded their top prospect, Hanley Ramirez, and an excellent pitching prospect, Hannibal Sanchez (currently lighting it up with Florida) for Beckett and Lowell. The Yankees traded NOTHING for Abreu and Lidle. Right now Abreu and Lidle are better than Beckett and Lowell. Very disturbing.

theo: this is what happens when you aren't managing the team in the off-season!

maverick4 said:
theo: this is what happens when you aren't managing the team in the off-season!

I think there are risks involved when you hire younger men to be the heads of poweful organizations. When they are successful, the success tends to go to their heads quicker, and they are also more influenced by sidelight distractions, like women and fame. I call it the "Eddie Murphy Effect". When every one keeps telling you you're funny, no matter what crap you pull, you lose your sense of humor. In Theo's case, when everyone keeps telling you how smart and brilliant you are, you tend to start believing them. Clement, Seanez, and yes the pitiful Francona are the results.

Why I can't stand Francona. For the record, I have never wavered from that stance, even in 2004. He had 5 potential HOFers on that team plus Varitek and Foulke. He runs his team like a Daddy. "I believe in these guys" "I love these guys". Any military vet will tell you, avoid these "buddy buddy" leaders. Take an a-hole who knows what he's doing every time.

PonyExpress said:
The Red Sox traded their top prospect, Hanley Ramirez, and an excellent pitching prospect, Hannibal Sanchez (currently lighting it up with Florida) for Beckett and Lowell. The Yankees traded NOTHING for Abreu and Lidle. Right now Abreu and Lidle are better than Beckett and Lowell. Very disturbing.
Um, the Yankees did trade something for Abreu and Lidle: They traded about $30 million. That's why the Red Sox didn't pull the trigger on a trade for either of those players... they just couldn't afford it.

People around these parts need to stop being so obsessed with measuring up to the Yankees.

PonyExpress said:
Why I can't stand Francona. For the record, I have never wavered from that stance, even in 2004. He had 5 potential HOFers on that team plus Varitek and Foulke. He runs his team like a Daddy. "I believe in these guys" "I love these guys". Any military vet will tell you, avoid these "buddy buddy" leaders. Take an a-hole who knows what he's doing every time.
Ah, but the Red Sox are not a military organization. If a military vet ran the Red Sox in 2004, he would have lost the team and the drought would currently stand at 88 years, not 2.

QuiGon said:
Um, the Yankees did trade something for Abreu and Lidle: They traded about $30 million. That's why the Red Sox didn't pull the trigger on a trade for either of those players... they just couldn't afford it.

People around these parts need to stop being so obsessed with measuring up to the Yankees.
they could have afforded it if they wanted...
also, theo is the ultimate "blind squirrel".... give me a team with a 20% higher payroll than EVERY team except one, and i will eventually build a winner.

The Abreu/Lidle trade shows how penny wise and pound foolish Red Sox management has become. They didn't make the trade over SEVEN million dollars difference with the Phillies. The foolishness is that they are going to need a legitimate #5 hitter next year any way, as the Yankees demonstrated by walking Manny so much, and to sign a free agent like Carlos Lee will cost more than Abreu anyway. Instead, they handed Abreu and the division to the Yankees. It was an arrogant act by people overwhelmed by the belief in their own cleverness. They thought THEY were the reasons the Red Sox won, and not Damon, and Manny, and Schilling etc. They thought it was their system that won, and not their great players. a public humiliation is just what the doctor ordered to bring these guys back to reality.

PonyExpress said:
The Abreu/Lidle trade shows how penny wise and pound foolish Red Sox management has become. They didn't make the trade over SEVEN million dollars difference with the Phillies. The foolishness is that they are going to need a legitimate #5 hitter next year any way, as the Yankees demonstrated by walking Manny so much, and to sign a free agent like Carlos Lee will cost more than Abreu anyway. Instead, they handed Abreu and the division to the Yankees. It was an arrogant act by people overwhelmed by the belief in their own cleverness. They thought THEY were the reasons the Red Sox won, and not Damon, and Manny, and Schilling etc. They thought it was their system that won, and not their great players. a public humiliation is just what the doctor ordered to bring these guys back to reality.

the reason why the Red Sox won in 2004 is no mystery. For the first time they had the best starting pitching ( topped by 2 legit aces). They had the best defensive Red Sox team team ive ever seen, especially in the late inning when Doug M,Reese,Cabrera and Mueller were out there. And they had the most team speed of any Red Sox team ive ever seen. Roberts,Reese,Cabrera,Damon etc But mostly, it was having Schilling,Martinez,Lowe, and Wakefield together with a defense to support them. No brilliant systems, just starting pitching.

PatsWorldChamps said:
they could have afforded it if they wanted...
Weak response. They've set for themselves a payroll limit which they adhere to. To say "they could afford it if they wanted to" is lame.
PatsWorldChamps said:
also, theo is the ultimate "blind squirrel".... give me a team with a 20% higher payroll than EVERY team except one, and i will eventually build a winner.
Easy to sit here and say on the internet when you will never have your feet held to the fire. I'd bet you're mistaken and you wouldn't have half the record Theo has.

PonyExpress said:
The Abreu/Lidle trade shows how penny wise and pound foolish Red Sox management has become. They didn't make the trade over SEVEN million dollars difference with the Phillies.
No, they didn't make the trade because it wasn't going to bring them over the top for this year so it is unwise to mortgage the future to make a trade that will help neither in the short run nor in the long run.

QuiGon said:
Easy to sit here and say on the internet when you will never have your feet held to the fire. I'd bet you're mistaken and you wouldn't have half the record Theo has.

talk about a weak response... the "blind squirrel"'s team has 70 wins.... if i had the team, along with its 120M payroll, which is 20M more than everyone except the yankees, you think the sox would be 10 games behind the royals at 35 wins? moron.

PatsWorldChamps said:
talk about a weak response... the "blind squirrel"'s team has 70 wins.... if i had the team, along with its 120M payroll, which is 20M more than everyone except the yankees, you think the sox would be 10 games behind the royals at 35 wins? moron.
I don't think you have the first clue about what it takes to run a MLB franchise, so not only do I think you'd be well behind the Royals, you would probably run the team into bankrupcy.

But please, by all means, if you have experience running a professional sports franchise then I would enjoy seeing your resume and/or qualifications. Otherwise you just another internet chest thumper.

BTW, calling me a "moron" only reinforces my point, so thank you for that. You better hope Patters doesn't see you..!! Unless you're a liberal, then it's OK.

QuiGon said:
I don't think you have the first clue about what it takes to run a MLB franchise, so not only do I think you'd be well behind the Royals, you would probably run the team into bankrupcy.

But please, by all means, if you have experience running a professional sports franchise then I would enjoy seeing your resume and/or qualifications. Otherwise you just another internet chest thumper.

BTW, calling me a "moron" only reinforces my point, so thank you for that. You better hope Patters doesn't see you..!! Unless you're a liberal, then it's OK.
Qui Gon, you're a very faithful fan and I applaud you for that. But, you sound naive about the "future". It doesn't have to be one or the other; it can be both. That's why the Abreu trade would have been excellent. They wouldn't have had to give up prospects to get Abreu and Lidle, only money, which they have plenty of. I think Red Sox management is taking advantage of good fans like you to justify their own questionable decision making.

PonyExpress said:
Qui Gon, you're a very faithful fan and I applaud you for that. But, you sound naive about the "future". It doesn't have to be one or the other; it can be both. That's why the Abreu trade would have been excellent. They wouldn't have had to give up prospects to get Abreu and Lidle, only money, which they have plenty of. I think Red Sox management is taking advantage of good fans like you to justify their own questionable decision making.
I don't know why you think the Red Sox have a bottomless pit of money from which to draw to pay player salaries. They have set a certain limit about what they are willing to spend on players, and they stick to their plan because (like the Patriots) they know that having a plan and sticking to it is infinitely better in the long run than letting emotion rule the day.

QuiGon said:
I don't know why you think the Red Sox have a bottomless pit of money from which to draw to pay player salaries. They have set a certain limit about what they are willing to spend on players, and they stick to their plan because (like the Patriots) they know that having a plan and sticking to it is infinitely better in the long run than letting emotion rule the day.
This is a fallacy they have hoisted on you. In football there is a salary cap. In baseball there isn't. There is no justification for their penny pinching this year over 7 million for Abreu.

Last edited by a moderator:
QuiGon said:
I don't know why you think the Red Sox have a bottomless pit of money from which to draw to pay player salaries
It could be because they own their own TV station, just got a rediculous new radio contract from Entercom, have every inch of the stadium sponsored and everything associated with the team has a fee to it (see the $10 to officially join Red Sox Nation). In addition, they have the highest ticket prices in baseball for a stadium which is sold out every night. For the Red Sox to cry poverty is comical.

All that being said, however, I still think trading for Abreu would have been a bad idea, because offense has not been the problem. It has been pitching, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Justice said:
It could be because they own their own TV station, just got a rediculous new radio contract from Entercom, have every inch of the stadium sponsored and everything associated with the team has a fee to it (see the $10 to officially join Red Sox Nation). In addition, they have the highest ticket prices in baseball for a stadium which is sold out every night. For the Red Sox to cry poverty is comical.
And which one of those revenue sources provides them with infinity dollars...?

PonyExpress said:
This is a fallacy they have hoisted on you. In football there is a salary cap. In baseball there isn't.
There is no league mandated salary cap. There are, however, real world justifications for setting a specific limit on what can be spent on player salaries - in otherwords, they are a business entity that has the audacity to want to be profitbale.
PonyExpress said:
There is no justification for their penny pinching this year over 7 million for Abreu.
It's more like $30 million in total. I don't really see that as penny pinching. Abreu wouldn't make them a contender this year so why mortgage the future...?

Last edited:
No matter how you slice it, Theo has engineered a $120 Million F-Troop. In some cultures he would be required to perform ritual suicide.

MDPATSFAN said:
No matter how you slice it, Theo has engineered a $120 Million F-Troop. In some cultures he would be required to perform ritual suicide.
agreed. Blind Squirrel got where he is only on nepotism. With that payroll, playoffs should be expected... how pathetic would The Blind Squirrel look with a salary cap, where every team spent the same? ouch. not pretty.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back