Welcome to PatsFans.com

More injustice in Florida, no Stand Your Ground in this situation...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 12, 2012.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Florida legal systems have gotten mucho weird, a woman had a restraining order against her husband, he got into the house and threatened her, chased into the garage where she could not get out of.. picked up a gun, came back in the house and fired a warning shot into the ceiling..

Stand your ground??? no she got 20 years.. with no prior offenses. The mandatory minimums in effect...

Of course Rich Scott can commute her sentence, but not sure the testicles to stand on the side of justice for all....

Stand your ground Florida: New controversy over 'stand your ground' case in Jacksonville - chicagotribune.com

Criminal Justice Petition: Free Marissa Alexander | Change.org

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

There's some stuff that came out at the trial that's not being mentioned here and I hesitate to second guess a jury who heard it all.

For instance, the "warning shot" which she said she fired into the ceiling -- photographs show the bullet holes much lower - going through a kitchen wall and into the living room where the boyfriend and his children were.

While she was out on bail she went over to Grey's house and ended up getting into an altercation with him and getting rearrested and charged with battery (which she pled "no contest" to) and was placed back in jail for violating the terms of her bond by having contact with him.

In this case, I can only assume the jury heard all this and judged her accordingly. I'd not be too happy with someone who fired a gun into a room with children present - no matter how scared they were.

The sentence sounds severe - but it's a mandatory sentence and not up to the judge or jury.

Marissa Alexander Sentenced: Florida Mom Who Shot At Abusive Husband Gets 20 Years In Prison

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +469 / 12 / -14

If she had a restraining order I can understand where she was coming from in fearing for her safety. I would think if she had stayed in the garage and only fired if the husband followed her into the garage.

I agree that firing the gun around the kids is tough to justify.

The sentence seems extreme.

As with the Martin case one would want to know more of the details rather than junping to conclusion.

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I was going to post this the other day. The part that gives me pause is, if she was so scared of her husband, why did she go back into the house? F' the keys, just go. Even still, the sentence does seem extreme.

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Without regard for extenuating circumstance, the judge always has leeway.. if not you can just put the facts into a computer and produce an outcome..

She rejected a 3 year plea deal, as she thought she would be found innocent, after all the guy rejected an existing restraining order, and came to her house and tried to strangle her in front of his two sons.... I always thought you could protect yourself...

Was she supposed to stand in the corner of her garage, and wait for this guy to come at her again??? It was her domicile, she was essentially being held hostage... hopefully Scott will not pander to the extreme right and administer justice from his office.

Shame of mandatory minimums shows in Marissa Alexander case - CNN.com

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

This is the same AG in the Martin/Zimmerman case..

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I believe it was a jury which convicted her. In something like 16 minutes.

It wasn't just "her" house, it was "their" house, for one thing.

She also went to the guy's house 4 months after her arrest and subsequent charge....and she assaulted him there, for which she forfeited her bail, pled no contest to a new battery charge and went back to jail. Why, if she was so afraid of him did she go over to his house?

But the physical evidence showed she lied. She said she fired into the ceiling but the bullet holes went through the wall, much lower, and into the front room where the man's two sons were.

I just can't help thinking that the jury must have heard a whole lot of information and seen a whole lot of evidence which is not being given to the public for them to have found her guilty in such a short period of time.

8. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Even if she did fire into a wall she doesn't deserve 20 years, thats absurd. The standard sentence in mass. for 2nd degree murder is 15 years to life, manslaughter far less. If she had fired into the wall and accidentally hit her husband? or one of the kids thats could be involuntary manslaughter but more likely manslaughter which usually carries less that a ten year sentence.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

This woman got a second chance and will get a new trial...

New trial ordered for Marissa Alexander, who got 20 years | firstcoastnews.com

For those interested here is the actual decision...

http://opinions.1dca.org/written/opinions2013/09-26-2013/12-2469.pdf