PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More early draft review from PFWeekly

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Interesting stuff:

AJ Hawk a disappointment in Green Bay. Packers brass "stunned". Abdul Hodge looks better than the #5 overall pick.

Ernie Sims is too small (surprise). His size is a major detriment. He likes to hit but he gets pushed around by bigger bodies.

From 2005: CB Marlin Jackson, the player many Pats fans wanted at #32, won't start and has received public criticism from Dungy.

What is up with Hawk and Green Bay???? I thought Hawk was the closest thing to a lock in the last draft.

For some reason I was obsessed with this year's draft and watched a lot of video on the big name players that came out. From what I saw, and I think I may have commented on this back in March, Hawk didn't stand out any more than Carpenter or any other linebacker. I thought Greenway and Hodge out of Iowa were as good, if not better, than those Ohio State linebackers. I'm not surprised that Kiwanuka is doing well so far, or that Mario Williams is inconsistent. It's amazing how much hype some players seem to get coming out of college. For example, Brady Quinn has been getting tons of hype, and may even win the Heisman and go #1 next year, but I don't think he's as good as people say he is.

Probably the GB coaching staff is incompetent. After all they just dumped Jim Bates.

He played a very good game against the Falcons. Against San Diego he made a coverage mistake on Antonio Gates. They say that he is the first linebacker to ever do that, so he's a bust for sure.

He also made a couple of very nice plays against the Chargers, so on the whole, he's doing fine.

maverick4 said:
I'm not surprised that Kiwanuka is doing well so far, or that Mario Williams is inconsistent.

I am, at least with Kiwanuka. If you followed BC over the past few years, you'd notice he was highly inconsistent and usually disappeared in games against the best competition. His most productive games were against cupcakes like Army and Temple.

Two games into their first preseason is way too early to judge these guys. I'm sure the hall of fame is filled with players who didn't do much in their first two preseason games.

Last edited:
I thought Jim Bates' defenses when he was with the Dolphins were very chaleenging for Brady.

Hope GB knows what they are doing.

primetime said:
I am, at least with Kiwanuka. If you followed BC over the past few years, you'd notice he was highly inconsistent and usually disappeared in games against the best competition.
QUOTE]
This is completely inaccurate. Some games he excelled in against top programs:
2005: Florida State, NC State
2004: Penn State, West Virginia, Notre Dame
2003:VT, West Virginia, Pitt, ND, Penn State

Penn State and Notre Dame were average in 2003 and 2004. NC State was hardly a top program last year. While this is an aside, I had no idea they had 3 1st round picks on their defense last season. I didn't notice those guys at all.

He got swallowed up by the best offensive linemen and Al Washington was probably a better college defensive lineman. Kiwanuka was nowhere to be seen in the bowl games or big games like the Syracuse drubbing that denied the Eagles a trip to a BCS game. I am a huge BC fan (sort of have to be), but Kiwanuka never impressed me. All the athletic gifts in the world but he just never seemed to be able to put it all together on a consistent basis. If he could, he would be dominant.

Last edited:
primetime said:
Penn State and Notre Dame were average in 2003 and 2004. NC State was hardly a top program last year. While this is an aside, I had no idea they had 3 1st round picks on their defense last season. I didn't notice those guys at all.

He got swallowed up by the best offensive linemen and Al Washington was probably a better college defensive lineman. Kiwanuka was nowhere to be seen in the bowl games or big games like the Syracuse drubbing that denied the Eagles a trip to a BCS game.
You have an agenda. I have facts. Kiwanuka was the most productive DE in the nation over the last two years.http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33750

PonyExpress said:
You have an agenda. I have facts. Kiwanuka was the most productive DE in the nation over the last two years.http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33750

You can point that out all you want. Mike Hass was the most productive WR in the nation last year. Why wasn't he a first round pick? Statistics aren't what's important here. The guy disappeared for games and was never truly consistent. He'd then explode in less-than-important games. Washington was more consistently productive.

I'm not sure what my agenda is. I just never bought the Kiwanuka hype.

Last edited:
Kwi himself said his success in the pre-season was due to being matched up against other rooks. "Its like playing in an all-star game, and I can hold my own in that" or something to that effect. Pretty insightful comment, IMO. He may take some time, but has the character and intelligence to improve.

maverick4 said:
For some reason I was obsessed with this year's draft and watched a lot of video on the big name players that came out. From what I saw, and I think I may have commented on this back in March, Hawk didn't stand out any more than Carpenter or any other linebacker. I thought Greenway and Hodge out of Iowa were as good, if not better, than those Ohio State linebackers. I'm not surprised that Kiwanuka is doing well so far, or that Mario Williams is inconsistent. It's amazing how much hype some players seem to get coming out of college. For example, Brady Quinn has been getting tons of hype, and may even win the Heisman and go #1 next year, but I don't think he's as good as people say he is.

Charlie Weis would disagree with you. ESPN the Mag just did an artile on Quinn and Weis likens Quinn to Brady. That is a pretty bold statement and a big vote of confidence in Quinn.

primetime said:
You can point that out all you want. Mike Hass was the most productive WR in the nation last year. Why wasn't he a first round pick? Statistics aren't what's important here. The guy disappeared for games and was never truly consistent. He'd then explode in less-than-important games. Washington was more consistently productive.

I'm not sure what my agenda is. I just never bought the Kiwanuka hype.

I definitely agree on Kiwanuka. Still don't know if he's the real deal in the NFL, despite the sack #'s (which can easily overrate a player in my opinion, especially people who rely on stats on evaluate lineman).

I watched almost every BC game he was there and he sucked at the point of attack. He could get around TE's and less athletic tackles with his wingspan and speed but didn't have the power to go with his game. Never could bull-rush a tackle into the QB or hold the outside edge correctly.
Against the run he was hit and miss, he could run aroung blockers and get into the backfield but didn't hold up when they went right at him. He overran a lot of plays because once a blocker got their hands on him, he was done. And he always excelled against the 2nd tier teams in the Big East and ACC, never against Miami and Florida St.

I think he was exposed a little at the Senior Bowl by Ferguson and the like. In fact, I thought he could easily slip into the late-second early-third round range. I was shocked when the Giants took him in the first round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back