Welcome to PatsFans.com

More "Do As We Say....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Not As We Do," from The Tea Party?

Remember back a few months ago when Sarah Palin tweeted "refudidated," and people jumped her for either misspelling repudidate or for making up a word using the root "refute?"

Her response at the time? "English is a living language. Get over it!"

Sarah Palin and Shakespeare: What do they have in common? Refudiate. - CSMonitor.com

Now, suddenly, spelling is once again an issue for The Tea Party candidates....only this time it's important to get it right. So important that if someone gets one letter wrong - it simply doesn't count. Close doesn't matter, intent doesn't matter - nothing matters except getting it 100% right. No more "living language." No more "get over it." No more "Even Shakespeare did it."

And, if they get their way with their about-face hypocrisy there might be no more Lisa Merkowski, either. It's Murkowski or nothing.

Miller sues over spelling as Alaska write-in vote count continues - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com

Cripesy - if you guys think I'm the Grammar Police, what does this make Joe Miller??? (Please, someone, make my day and try to refudidate everything you've ever ridiculed about spelling and grammar and tell me he's right in this case and spelling really does, suddenly, magically, count!!!)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One was written on twitter, one is a matter of getting elected or not. Are you really going to say the Tea Party would be the only people who would bring about a lawsuit to gain votes? Or are you arguing that the judge should use twitter as a source to deny this lawsuit?

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I'm not "arguing" anything....I'm just pointing out the inconsistancy.

Seems somewhat strange that The Tea Party, who has a history of hideously misspelled signs at their rallies, is suddenly all rightous about someone else, a regular citizes like themselves, having to get every single letter straight in a hard-to-spell name.

Do they honestly think that if someone wrote "Lisa Merkowski" or "Liza Murkowski," or "Lisa Murkowsky" on their ballot that they didn't mean to vote for "Lisa Murkowski?"

If that's the case, and if the judge rules in their favor, someone ought to inform Rich Whitey in Illinois that he received ZERO votes since his name was misspelled on the printed ballot.

If the misspelling didn't matter in Illinois, it shouldn't matter in Alaska, either.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

So now the local spelling scold what the law to be ignored so we can decide voter 'intent' how nice perhaps the person was casting a vote scarcastically perhaps they were too stupid to copy the name of the list they were GIVEN with the spelling.

Perhaps we should resurrect Karnack and let him place his head against the ballot and tell us who the vote was for.

Nice to see libs seeking to break election law, in that they are consisent.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

How funny you are, 13....tortured syntax, wrongly placed puncuation, uncapitalized letters and (I think) "what" instead of "wants," and all and still expecting me to interpret and accept your intent - and all the while denying others the same right.

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

My spelling isn't breaking the law.

Why are you unable to differentiate between a legal requirement for a vote and a twitter post?

You seem to have a remarkable inability to see the forest for the trees. :rolleyes:

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Why are you unable to differentiate Lisa Merkowski from Lisa Murkowski? Why do you think that deciding the "intent" of each vote on a case-by-case basis is so wrong? It seems as though the law in Alaska is ambiguous in the (excuse the pun) letter of the law and they've counted votes by intent in the past - so what's the problem? (Other than she's winning, of course.)

Now if it said "Lisa M" and there is a "Lisa Miller" on the ballot as well, then no, don't count it for Murkowski - but if it's a difference of 1 letter - well, he!!, if people can't figure out "intent" by a 1 letter misspelling there's a problem, isn't there?

8. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All it takes is one person to come forward saying they voted for "Murcowski" not "Merkowski" and BAM, the government is falsifying votes and the entire basis of our government for the people by the people is in shambles.
    Basically, with how ridiculous our legal system is, if we allow this, years down the road we have a race between John Smith and Jon Smith, and anyone with a shred of common sense will have their head explode during the ensuing lawsuits.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

The law says the spelling has to match. Nothing complicated just the spelling has to match, they even provided voters with a list that had her name spelled correctly.

We don't have pschics deciding elections. Maybe we should we could have psychics tells us who people intend to elect and do away with the elections altogether.

Why do you advocate breaking the law?

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Don't act like a DOPE MrsP...spelling doesn't mean anything on this board. That is the point everyone keeps trying to make with you.

No one ever said spelling doesn't matter, period. It certainly does count in legal matters.

11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

The spirit and intent of the law is being violated here. The law needs some tweaking obviously. You don't have to be a psychic to figure out who voted for who with the names in that election. The people elected someone, they weren't competing in a spelling B

12. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +385 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

I agree with this. I can't see the sense of potentially disenfranchising voters because they are poor spellers. Is the issue that there were write-ins with similar names?

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

The voters were provided with a list of the write in candidates with the spelling, What is so hard copy the name IF it is the person you are seeking to write in.

The rules for write in candidates are more difficult because they couldn't get their name on the ballot by being nominated for whatever reason. If you allow people to decide who a voter voted FOR you are opening a real can of worms, think of this precedent in the hands of a lawyer......

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Why wasn't Joe Miller worried about it 3 weeks ago? Why has he changed his tune today?

JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska Senate GOP hopeful Joe Miller says his campaign isn't worried about having a team to monitor the counting of write-in votes.

Miller believes he can garner a big enough share of the vote that he won't have to worry about write-in ballots for Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski. If it's a tighter race, though, he says has confidence in election officials to do their job properly.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Alaska Senate GOP candidate not seeking write in monitors

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Only if the voter requested it was a list given to them.....and, thanks to a last minute "drive" by conservative Republicans, some of whom were known to be supporting Joe Miller, there were over 160 names on the list.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- The number of write-in candidates for Alaska's U.S. Senate seat has swelled to about 160 amid an effort by conservatives to target the write-in candidacy of GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski, and it could still grow as officials process filers' paperwork.

The number by Thursday's write-in deadline had grown from just a handful earlier this week.

Murkowski mounted her bid after losing the primary to tea-party backed Joe Miller, and some conservatives have urged Alaskans to make their own write-in runs.

Those conservatives include Dan Riehl, who issued a call on Andrew Breitbart's Big Government website to "highlight the chaos brought about by Lisa Murkowski's seemingly unending quest for power" with her campaign.

It's not immediately clear how many of those running did so because of the effort, though the write-in list includes people who've openly supported Miller. One of the names on the list is a "Lisa M. Lackey," who is running as a Republican.

Write-ins flood Alaska Senate race list

The Alaska Supreme Court ruled late Wednesday that state election workers at polling places could provide lists of write-in candidates to voters who request them.

Court Rules Alaskan Voters Can Get Lists of Write-In Candidates - NYTimes.com

16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Speaking of spelling, ya know for someone who is always criticizing the spelling errors of other people in this forum, you sure seem to make quite a few mistakes of your own.

Now what was that you were saying about "tortured syntax, wrongly placed puncuation (sic.), uncapitalized letters"? Glass houses, MrsPFnVA.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Why do you advocate the law being broken to help a particular candidate?

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yep, I sure did, didn't I?

Mea Culpa.

I actually appreciate you pointing it out, too....it reminds me not to get too overconfident and to stop and proofread before hitting "submit reply," which I sometimes (obviously) forget to do.

I'm chagrined - but it doesn't change the fact that I still think that "intent" matters and that any vote cast for a Lisa Merkowski should be counted. In fact, it makes me even more inclined to think that way.

Unlike Joe Miller, I'm not going to change my mind.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

How does one prove intent?

Why do you favor breaking the law?

20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

The law being broken........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Anything to put a Tea Bagger in office. You have no morals you'd vote for Charlie Manson if you thought he could lower your taxes by a couple of bucks.