PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More declare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Percy Harvis has declared, but Greg Hardy is returning to Ole Miss for his senior season.

Brian Hartline - WR Ohio St
Trevard Lindley CB Kentucky

I'm not sure Harline will be drafted. Lindley is a guy Belichick may well be looking at.

Where did you read about Lindley? Yesterday, he said that he had

withdrawn his name from the draft.

Where did you read about Lindley? Yesterday, he said that he had

withdrawn his name from the draft.

You're correct. I mis-read.

There hasn't been the stampede of underclassmen that I expected.

Goodell appears to have calmed their fears.

There hasn't been the stampede of underclassmen that I expected.

Goodell appears to have calmed their fears.

The day isn't over yet. We won't know the final tally until tomorrow..

DryHeat,

Your thoughts on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ?

I absolutely loved him and his upside coming out last year and my dream draft was a combo of (DRC and Curtis Lofton), which was a real possiblity via just a small trade up in R2.

Check out ESPN today, the man is on the verge of greatness and to think how close he was to being a Patriot and the issues we currently have in the secondary now.

I know you and a few others were down on DRC before the draft, just wanted to get your take on him ?

"Pro Football Hall of Famer Darrell Green knows a great cover cornerback when he sees one, and he thinks he sees one wearing No. 29 for the Arizona Cardinals.

As endorsements go, this one trumps anything the Cardinals or anyone else might offer for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, the player Arizona coaches and players call "DRC."

"I think he's going to be one of the great ones for a long time," Green said by phone Wednesday."

Cromartie is ascending the athletic heights of NFL greatness. Single handedly shut down one of most explosive WRs in football last weekend in Steve Smith, 6 picks so far and
he was just inserted as the starter in week 9. I know the Pats worked him out two days before the draft and were on the verge of drafting him and instead went with Mayo.

Don't get me wrong, Mayo has been great, but I guess one would have to compare the following (DRC and Curtis Lofton (great rookie year btw) vs Mayo and Wheatley).

I look at that and I am leaning towards DRC and Lofton. JMO.........

Last edited:
DryHeat,

I absolutely loved him and his upside coming out last year and my dream draft was a combo of (DRC and Curtis Lofton), which was a real possiblity via just a small trade up in R2.

Check out ESPN today, the man is on the verge of greatness and to think how close he was to being a Patriot and the issues we currently have in the secondary now.

I know you and a few others were down on DRC before the draft, just wanted to get your take on him ?

"Pro Football Hall of Famer Darrell Green knows a great cover cornerback when he sees one, and he thinks he sees one wearing No. 29 for the Arizona Cardinals.

As endorsements go, this one trumps anything the Cardinals or anyone else might offer for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, the player Arizona coaches and players call "DRC."

"I think he's going to be one of the great ones for a long time," Green said by phone Wednesday."

Cromartie is ascending the athletic heights of NFL greatness. Single handedly shut down one of most explosive WRs in football last weekend in Steve Smith, 6 picks so far and
he was just inserted as the starter in week 9. I know the Pats worked him out two days before the draft and were on the verge of drafting him and instead went with Mayo.

Don't get me wrong, Mayo has been great, but I guess one would have to compare the following (DRC and Curtis Lofton (great rookie year btw) vs Mayo and Wheatley).

I look at that and I am leaning towards DRC and Lofton. JMO.........

It's hard to compare Mayo/Wheatley vs DRC/Lovton because Wheatley got hurt. Just when it looked like Bill finally trusted him to start, he got hurt. But in the same game right before he got hurt, he did make two very nice pass breakup. I like the comparison you're making though. But we'll have to give it a couple of years before we can pass final judgement.

BTW, I thought we should have gone DRC and Lofton BEFORE the draft. But based on Mayo's play this year and the potential Wheatley showed, I'm happy with our picks.

Hold on, I think you're doing a bit of rewriting history. Lofton was taken #37 overall, the Pats' next pick was #62 -- not such a "small trade". To get up into the low-mid 30's you're really talking about an comparison more like this:

Rogers-Cromartie + Lofton

vs.

Mayo + Wheatley + O'Connell + Wilhite

So big surprises today in those who did NOT declare:

Brandon Spikes, CJ Spiller, Reshad Jones, Russel Okung

All 4 decided to return to their respective programs.

All 4 are expected to be 1st round picks next season.

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but TE Jermaine Gresham of Oklahoma is also returning to school.

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but TE Jermaine Gresham of Oklahoma is also returning to school.

That's great I was worried Belichick may be looking at him. :confused:

DryHeat,

Good memory. I was against drafting DRC in the first because he had one good year against low-level competition. He really came on towards the end of the year.

I think Flowers had the best year of any rookie CB. Lowery looked damn good at times as well.

For what it's worth, this was my ranking of CBs last year:

Antoine Cason Arizona
Leodis McKelvin Troy
Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech
Tracy Porter Indiana
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee St
Chevis Jackson LSU
Charles Godfrey Iowa
Jack Williams Kent St
Jack Ikegwuono Wisconsin
Dwight Lowery San Jose St
Antwan Molden Eastern Kentucky
Jonathan Wilhite Auburn

I'm sure this has already been mentioned in this 8 page thread, but I wanted to remind that players have 3 days to bow out of the draft from the deadline, as long as they don't mess with an agent.

Good memory. I was against drafting DRC in the first because he had one good year against low-level competition. He really came on towards the end of the year.

I think Flowers had the best year of any rookie CB. Lowery looked damn good at times as well.

For what it's worth, this was my ranking of CBs last year:

Antoine Cason Arizona
Leodis McKelvin Troy
Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech
Tracy Porter Indiana
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee St
Chevis Jackson LSU
Charles Godfrey Iowa
Jack Williams Kent St
Jack Ikegwuono Wisconsin
Dwight Lowery San Jose St
Antwan Molden Eastern Kentucky
Jonathan Wilhite Auburn

So we got the 12th best CB in the 4th round? And where did Wheatley rank on this list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back