More Colts weirdness: Sanders' taunting penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how the hell this can happen:

4-IND 31 FG attempt, ball kicked from the 38. That is where the Colts should take over. Then . . . taunting is called on Bob Sanders, so the ball moves to . . . 1-IND 24.

How, exactly, did that penalty become 14 yards instead of 15?

[Yeah, I know I'm arguing about one yard, but even that should not have happened, period.]

Can someone please explain to me how the hell this can happen:

4-IND 31 FG attempt, ball kicked from the 38. That is where the Colts should take over. Then . . . taunting is called on Bob Sanders, so the ball moves to . . . 1-IND 24.

How, exactly, did that penalty become 14 yards instead of 15?

[Yeah, I know I'm arguing about one yard, but even that should not have happened, period.]

Just one intricacy of "half the distance to the goal."

EDIT: Actually, I'm not so sure. The rule states (from the official 2007 rulebook): "If a distance penalty, enforced from a specific spot between the goal lines would place the ball more than half the distance to the offender’s goal line, the penalty shall be half the distance from that spot to their goal line." 38/2=19, but 38-15=23. So it wouldn't be half the distance, but that's what the ref said. It should have been a 15-yard penalty back to the 23-yard line. The Colts got it at the 24, and thus the penalty is listed as a 14-yarder in the official gamebook. Maybe just a spot error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back